It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to have flowing water on mars?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Just wondering if the atmosphere would allow for there to be rivers in mars as one of the photos really looks like a river, obviously isnt, but still looks like one.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by youwillneverknow

It looks like a patch of darker soil. Unlike water, it is bumpy and hilly in places.

That's not to say that I think it is impossible that there could (maybe from time-to-time, and under the right conditions) be wet patches on Mars. I don't think scientists have ruled out the possibility of there being water under the surface which may percolate up once in a while.

However, there is nothing that suggests this is water, rather than just being a darker material. Whatever it is, it's worth studying.

edit on 8/15/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Yes,there is evidence that suggest that there was and quite possibly still is water on Mars
edit on 15-8-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by all2human
Yes,there is evidence that suggest that there was and quite possibly still is water on Mars

I know they said that they think briny water could be there and possibly seeps out of the mountains when it gets warm enough, but I also heard that no sooner has it melted it vaporises? Dont know how true that is...its super exciting time I think for space exploration - fingers crossed we are on the verge of discovering something huge, that said, would they tell us about any discovery?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by youwillneverknow

Originally posted by all2human

I know they said that they think briny water could be there and possibly seeps out of the mountains when it gets warm enough, but I also heard that no sooner has it melted it vaporises? Dont know how true that is...its super exciting time I think for space exploration - fingers crossed we are on the verge of discovering something huge, that said, would they tell us about any discovery?

NO. That's why they landed this $2.5BILLION dollar paperweight in the middle of Mar's Death Valley. Imagine all of the geologic anomalies all around the world to land a rover near, then pick Death Valley or the Gobi Desert instead.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Wait WTF...

What's the second picture actually supposed to be? The first one doesn't really look like water to me, but the second looks incredibly like a river. Darker soil around the river where it's wetter, curving path, the "water" looks slightly reflective.

I'd be very interested on what the professionals say pic #2 is supposed to be.

EDIT:

Well I used up my stupid points for the day I think. I would just edit out this whole post but don't think it's fair trying to erase incidents of me being a damn fool.
edit on 15-8-2012 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xterrain
YES.

www.marsanomalyresearch.com...

Thanks for that!

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Xterrain

There is a lot more that goes into picking a location than just "hey, that spot looks cool, land there" There is a long list of issues that dictate location and leave a much smaller area for the people in charge to choose from.

That's not saying, however, that there isn't some fishy business going on, but just thought I'd point that out.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
Wait WTF...

What's the second picture actually supposed to be? The first one doesn't really look like water to me, but the second looks incredibly like a river. Darker soil around the river where it's wetter, curving path, the "water" looks slightly reflective.

I'd be very interested on what the professionals say pic #2 is supposed to be.

Sorry James - that picture is earth lol

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Scroll right. Tubular.

There could be water on Mars, humans will just have to wait and see if it's still there or gone for some reason.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xterrain
YES.

No.

Almost all of those photos were taken near the poles, places where liquid water wouldn't flow even if the atmospheric pressure was strong enough, as it would freeze.

Many of those areas were already re-imaged by better cameras and show that those are not lakes/trees/whatever.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

LOL!!!

Now I feel like a total dummy. Just a reference picture, got it
Now you can imagine the shock I felt looking at that pic, thinking it was on Mars. I didn't understand why more people weren't freaking out about that pic. Well, now I know. Because other people aren't as dumb as me.

At least I know my skills on identifying rivers are up to snuff.

I think I deserve a few people laughing at me after that one.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MmmPie
reply to post by James1982

Scroll right. Tubular.

There could be water on Mars, humans will just have to wait and see if it's still there or gone for some reason.

Oh wow.... now I feel even more like a dolt. Even after realizing that was earth, I still didn't realize it actually SAID Earth on the pic. That's what I get for not scrolling over at first. I was wondering what the point of the arrow was.

Just.... wow.... I guess it's going to be one of those days today

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

LOL!!!

Now you can imagine the shock I felt looking at that pic, thinking it was on Mars. I didn't understand why more people weren't freaking out about that pic. Well, now I know. Because other people aren't as dumb as me.

thats hilarious! lol

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

LOL!!!

thats hilarious! lol

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Many of those areas were already re-imaged by better cameras and show that those are not lakes/trees/whatever.

What did it show then? There where clearly quite remarkable landscapes in the pics.

edit on 15-8-2012 by MightyPenfriend because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

LOL!!!

No - stop that. We're here to learn. NO ONE should be afraid to make a thread asking a question (if the answer can't definitively be found in a search).

edit on 8/15/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Why yes it is.

A list of water evidence from mars photographs.

And analysis of photos show evidence that there was photo tampering, and when you correct them, voila, real water.

A lot of photo tampering takes place by NASA.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Why yes it is.

A list of water evidence from mars photographs.

And analysis of photos show evidence that there was photo tampering, and when you correct them, voila, real water.

A lot of photo tampering takes place by NASA.

I dont know why they think they need to cover anything up - people, in general, are smart. If they all of a sudden announce "We are not alone" - I really dont think New York City is going to ground to a halt, people will still go about their usual business....wouldnt they?

It would only be the religious nuts that it affects I guess.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join