It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity's Stunning 360 Degree Panoramic view of Mars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Did a quick search and didn't see this posted any where....apologies if someone has beaten me to it.

Quite an achievement by NASA if you ask me!....If you look to the West, it almost looks like a road running off towards the horizon!

Curiosity rover: Martian solar day 2

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Man that is freaking awesome. I bet with a really good monitor it feels as if you could just step onto Mars!

Cant wait, in a couple of weeks we will have some really kicka## HD images.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Wow, that's pretty amazing stuff.

To think, people were concerned NASA used the wrong cameras when the first black and white photos came out.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
This is a truly beautiful shot indeed. Really awe inspiring in it portrayal of utter isolation.

My only thoughts are, since this is a conspiracy forum and all, what makes this shot distinguishable from say death valley or another really isolated spot HERE on Earth? I'm a believer in the theory of Kubrick filming the publicized moon landings, so what could prove that this isn't happening here?

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Having looked at the photo again I will say the sun DOES look a lot further away than on earth...

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Truly amazing.

You are right, you can almost picture yourself standing on the martian planet looking over the landscape. Hauntingly beautiful.

I was going to make a point about the distance Mars is from my computer chair and found a interesting bit of info. I knew that the distance from Earth varies but i did not realize by how much. At its closest point Mars is approx 56 million km away and at its furthest point it is over 400 million km.

Can you imagine pointing a delivery rocket for the lander in a direction and hope you hit your target across such a vast distance.

Makes you appreciate everything that goes into it.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by boot2theface

I would love to see a image when the sun is not up. To see a alien sky would be quite amazing as well

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Gah! Where is Mt Sharp gone?

Cheer's for link dude!

EDIT TO ADD: I should say I'm not serious about the mountain statement above. I realise that this image is for impact purposes and is not 100% correct in it's representation of what we have seen so far.

All those that seek to use this image to highlight critters, pyramids or 'orbs', please bare that in mind, and check the original images at NASA first.

edit on 14-8-2012 by AmatuerSkyWatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Dude really! There would be SO MANY STARS! Mind = blown.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing this.
2nd
Dirty

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by boot2theface
reply to post by MDDoxs

Dude really! There would be SO MANY STARS! Mind = blown.

Since there would be no light pollution, the amount of stars seen would be amazing if the sky wasn't hazy - not sure if it is from the ground looking up; however, they'd be the same exact ones and arrangement we can see here since 154 million miles is "right next door" in cosmic terms. What I'd like to see is a shot of the 2 moons in the night sky.

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
It looks so much better on full screen, I didn't realize it had that feature till I came back to look at it again for the second time because I just stay around from such a spectactular photo. It truly is amazing that we, humanity was able to send robotics all the way to Mars the way they did.

I'll agree with what another poster said, it would be good to have a night time version of this so we could see the stars as I'm sure it would be very much different from our view.

Thanks for this. S&F for you sir.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Just spotted some strange objects!!!!!

edit on 15-8-2012 by bluloa because: picture

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluloa
Just spotted some strange objects!!!!!

edit on 15-8-2012 by bluloa because: picture

Weren't those the supposed fossilized Martian Shrimp (or Frog) and Turtle from another post?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
How was this picture taken? The camera seems to be completely detached from the rover.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

Very nice indeed but......what stick or pole is holding the camera. It seems it is floating in mid air. And where is the mountain?

sec.line

edit on 15/8/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1
How was this picture taken? The camera seems to be completely detached from the rover.

Yeah. can someone explain this to me? When you pan around you can see the entire rover and would expect to see an arm or mount going up to the camera your viewing from and there is none. So the camera is hovering or floating above the rover with no connections t the craft?

Secondly I can't seem to see ANY tracks the tires should have made in the dirt around the vehicle. Is there a reason?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Hi, guys first post!..Iv been looking at the Mars Panoramic pic aswell and iv found this strange "rock/object" what do you guys think?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by RMFX1

These pictures are a montage of many different images that have been taken by different cameras. The images were then sown together, and then layered or skinned on top a generated 3d model. Some stuff has also been edited out (pretty much the whole mountain).

This picture shouldn't be taken as a true representation of what is actually there (although it's pretty close), it's been designed with the impact or 'wow' factor (if you like) in mind.
edit on 15-8-2012 by AmatuerSkyWatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Ok, that makes sense about the camera mount I guess.

Shouldn't you be able to see tracks somewhere around the machine from the tires?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join