It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olympic anti-China conspiracy afoot? Some Chinese think so

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Olympic anti-China conspiracy afoot? Some Chinese think so

www.washingtonpost.com...

“Anger grows over alleged Olympic bias,” blared the front page of China’s government-owned Global Times on Wednesday. The People’s Daily blamed such results on a “hysterical” and “paranoid” fear of China.

It may seem like sour grapes to the West, but the conspiracy theories reflect an increasingly common line taken by Chinese leaders that Western powers are trying to contain China even as its status as a world power rises.

That's some conspiracy... claiming that China is losing medals because of Western powers are trying to contain China's power status. I didn't know that the Olympics is the measure in which countries are assessed, as to their position in the world. Although, I can see some truth in that... but that only goes so far.

“This is not an overreaction, because those abroad keep saying things about China, so China has a right to say something back,” said Tao Wenzhao, a U.S.-China relations expert at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, who said many foreign commentators, including those in the United States, have been biased against China.

Ahh... the conspiracy version of "They started it!"

Then there was the badminton match-fixing scandal in which eight players were expelled, including the Chinese doubles champions, for throwing early bouts in an effort to ensure easier matches down the line.

To be honest... I don't see a problem with this. I once participated in a national(was international, considering Japan and Canada were represented)... my team totally sandbagged the first couple matches, to be put into the losers bracket. That's when we had easy sailing, defeating everyone in the losers bracket, then found ourselves competing for 3rd place out of 1200+ teams... It's called tactics, and I see nothing wrong with it.

While the government may try to rally the people with nationalist sentiments and cast aspersions on other countries’ motives, times have changed, noted Hu Xingdou, an economics professor at Beijing University of Technology.

“The government can’t use the old ways of propaganda, and China can’t create a better image for itself simply by winning more gold medals,” he said.

Many in China are criticizing its sports system, he said, because it uses tremendous sums of money, an often life- and career-crushing selection process, and sometimes cruelly intensive training to churn out its champions.

“When the average life span in China, its medical system and its people’s overall health overtakes the West, that will be a more powerful proof than any Olympic champion,” he said.

China does a good enough job themselves, in regards to negative feedback from the rest of the world... civil liberties, their economic model, and tons of other aspects. I don't think the Olympics is going to paint a better picture of them... from simply winning at a sporting event?

These people are ___insert word here___!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Or they just aren't as good as they think they are?

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065

With a population of 1.3 Billion people... which is pretty much 4x the population of the US... one would think that it would be likely that they should be taking a majority of the medals. But the fact is... they run neck and neck with the US. I'd have to say that they obviously aren't doing something right here. I'm not going to speculate as to what could be the reasons for this, but I will say that I agree with your statement.

They should be winning more medals, and they aren't. You could be right... although, I'd say there's probably some truth to bias being displayed in the Olympics.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by FractalChaos13242017

Yes. They disqualified their women's badminton team for intentionally losing.
Because, the West can't win at Badminton when already spotted a one game lead, and everyone knows that the country that controls badminton controls the world!

Otherwise, where is the conspiracy? Gymnastics looked extremely fair, and the Chinese did well. They did well in diving. It seems Chinese people can't run fast, there didn't have any showing there at all. They did ok in the pool, and there is really no way to cheat in the pool. The fencer that got totally screwed was not Chinese.

So, where is the conspiracy? Where was the conspiracy when they were leading in medals?

ETA:
Oh ya, and they didn't drop their flag either!
edit on 11-8-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by FractalChaos13242017

With a population of 1.3 Billion people... which is pretty much 4x the population of the US... one would think that it would be likely that they should be taking a majority of the medals.

The same could be said about India I suppose?

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

1.3 Billion brainwashed passionless drones. A drone can't replace someone who is actually pouring themselves into what they are doing.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Yes. They disqualified their women's badminton team for intentionally losing.
Because, the West can't win at Badminton when already spotted a one game lead, and everyone knows that the country that controls badminton controls the world!

Otherwise, where is the conspiracy? Gymnastics looked extremely fair, and the Chinese did well. They did well in diving. It seems Chinese people can't run fast, there didn't have any showing there at all. They did ok in the pool, and there is really no way to cheat in the pool. The fencer that got totally screwed was not Chinese.

So, where is the conspiracy? Where was the conspiracy when they were leading in medals?

ETA:
Oh ya, and they didn't drop their flag either!
edit on 11-8-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

I will probably be called a racist for the following:

I wonder if there's any truth in the notion that particular races are better at certain sports.
They can dive, flip and twist... but can they swim, run, and jump?

Maybe the diversity of races found in the US contributes towards their success in the medals count.

I can just imagine, behind the scenes of the China Olympic Committee... "First the diving board, and then the world!"

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

1.3 Billion brainwashed passionless drones. A drone can't replace someone who is actually pouring themselves into what they are doing.

Agree. Any story of China oneday leading the world is propanganda or paranoi. A very robotic brainwashed population. A 1960s managment style of government. Those attributes do not lead to innovation which is what is required to be at a cutting edge where by definition the leaders of the pack will be. So unless the Badmington win becomes is used to peg the price ofc currency theres no point making a fuss over this conspiracy.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Yeah let's put 1.3 Billion people into one group and judge them.....this is the kind of thinking that causes world problems.....but carry on don't mind me.
edit on 11-8-2012 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

I want to point something out about this idea you presented.

China didn't give a damn about sports on an international stage for a long, long time. 1980 is the first time they fielded a full team. The country didn't participate at the Olympics for an awful long time. They have a little over 500 medals in total from only 8 Summer and 9 Winter Games. It's only been the last decade or so that they have been serious about the Olympic games. In that time, they have turned into a sporting powerhouse. Give them another decade or so and if they remain focused on it, I think the rest of the world will be playing for second place at the Games. I think the real conspiracy lies in that personally.

As for the conspiracy in the OP, sounds like sore losers to me.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

The athletes are trained to be like drones.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by FractalChaos13242017

With a population of 1.3 Billion people... which is pretty much 4x the population of the US... one would think that it would be likely that they should be taking a majority of the medals. But the fact is... they run neck and neck with the US. I'd have to say that they obviously aren't doing something right here. I'm not going to speculate as to what could be the reasons for this, but I will say that I agree with your statement.

They should be winning more medals, and they aren't. You could be right... although, I'd say there's probably some truth to bias being displayed in the Olympics.

I don't think population numbers mean a lot, I mean it helps BUT USA has 5-6 times the population of Britain but they are not getting 5-6 times the amount of medals. So China should be getting 10-20 times the amount of medals compared to Britain. Hell they should be the best at every Pro sport too.
Genetics obviously play a part in a lot of sports and some races have certain genetic characteristics which would make them favourites to be better at something, not racism just an observation.
A chinaman isn't winning the 100m sprint anytime soon imo.
on another sorts note

Take Football (soccer) its played all over the world by Population Numbers USA, India, China, Russia ect should be Dominating but its Spain, Brazil, Italy and Germany. SO it comes back to FOCUS/priority.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

The match fixing thing was not about fair play It was about the IOC protecting the value of their tickets. The crowd was booing, and with some of the empty seats in venues like badminton, it would not help if the public knew that the show was being rigged, that they wouldn't at least see some competition of some sort. It was just protecting their revenue.

The rest of the Chinese article seems to be a stoking of nationalism. It is just a propaganda piece meant to galvinize the people behind the hammer and sickle.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The Chinese athletes are all removed from their family homes and taken to hideous training factories similar to labour camps. They are given no chance to see their families most of the time and they are treated like crap by the people forcing them to train.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Any nation that operates like this should never, ever be welcome at any international sporting events.

And if the Chinese don't like people talking about how they operate, then thats just too damn bad.

new topics

top topics

join