It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those albums you just keep going back to

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
You know the albums I'm talking about. You turn on the radio only to hear the same Lady Gaga songs and the same Led Zeppelin songs... it's like a recurring sonic nightmare! So you dig through CD cases because your iPod is played out or you don't have one. And then, it catches your eye. Yes! So many memories attached to the emotions and melodies, from a time when albums could tell stories without being concept albums. You insert the CD and from the 1st second, you instantly feel better and learn to love the journeys the mind takes when allowed a nice hour to just sit back and enjoy a musical masterpiece.

The Mercury Lift by Haste is one such album for me. Released in 2003, the album would sadly be the band's final opus. The subject matters and wide open approach to rock is both powerful and beautiful, tugging at the most creative aspects of the human psyche. It's the perfect album for a long drive, or an art session, or cleaning the house! LOL

Here are a few gems from this diamond in the rough. Enjoy.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Wu-Tang 36 chambers.

This album is immortal and will never get old !

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

You might like this then.

I especially like ODB's verses after the 2:45 mark.

You'll be number 9
I did not stutter
The sun is my dad
The moon is my mother

SICK!

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Mine are:

Acid Bath - When The Kite String Pops

and oddly, from way back,,,,

Krokus - Headhunter

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Continuing with the 2003 timeline, while The Mercury Lift would be Haste's final album, another band released an eclectic debut.

Oceansize, from the UK brought us Effloresce, a pleasant listen with ambitious songwriting and immense confidence, sure to make you space out just as much as sing along.

Unlike Haste, who grew from hardcore roots to more accessible sounds, Oceansize debuted with their most accessible album and has ventured into artsy-fartsy territory (my opinion, there's still plenty to like)

Here are some glimpses into Effloresce:

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Supertramp...Crime of the Century

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Kiss Alive #1

Sgt Pepper

Fleetwood Mac...The Chain

Pink Floyd...The Wall

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Time to take a step into the way-back machine!

My father owned quite a few records, so since I always loved rock as a baby, I was given this album when I was old enough to operate the turntable.

Deep Purple's epic In Rock, from 1970 is by far the best collection of raw rock power and classic jam style transitions and solos ever recorded. While most people think of Smoke On The Water when they think of Deep Purple, this entire album consists of single after single, all of which are chock full of riffs equally as memorable.

Sadly, keyboardist Jon Lord passed earlier this year, but his influence will always live on, and this album showcases some of his best work. RIP Jon

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
You Are What You Is by Frank Zappa. This is Frank at his absolute best. The Lyrics to Dumb All Over should be engraved on every church and mosque!

edit on 10-8-2012 by redbarron626 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Dear DaTroof,

Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon.

The Beatles - Pick One

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

nice one as i sit here in what has been named the metal shed i have all deep purple albums + let me see 500 or more albums from the 60s till today as in Alter bridge heaps of goth all of metallica infected mushroom and on it goes if its done well i keep it and i am all about music right now its master of puppets and my drug is music \m/

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
...You insert the CD and from the 1st second, you instantly feel better and learn to love the journeys the mind takes when allowed a nice hour to just sit back and enjoy a musical masterpiece...

This one always pulls the trick for me.
Full thing because... dah...

Explosions in the sky - Earth is not a cold dead place

Edit: By the way, I'm glad to see Oceansize, Black Sabbath and Zappa on this thread

edit on 10/8/2012 by TheCorporateBeast because: Praising good bands

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
since i'm coming from a more metal frame of mind here are a few of mine. Some of them were before my time but i still love em

Testament - The New Order, The Legacy

Megadeth - Rust In Peace

Kreator - Enemy of God

Death - The Sound of Perseverance

Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane

Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse

Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked

sorry, kinda got carried away

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Hey, thanks for the replies!

Nice to see Explosions In The Sky... I got into them and a slew of other shoegaze-esque bands around the same time. This Will Destroy You, Jesu, God Is An Astronaut...

Keep up the good work friends, and don't be afraid to write a small review! It's healthy for everyone.

top topics

join