It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time travel (does it go here?)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I have come to the conclusion that time travel is impossible, at least backwards in time.

If 500 years from now someone invented a time machine, one of the first things science would do is go back and give the cave man a wheel, or teach him how to plow. This would give civilization a HUGE boost.
Let us suppose that this allowed the discovery of time travel to happen in lets say 400 years from now instead of 500.
The traveler would therefor be inclined to go back in time again and teach the Egyptians how to make a glider and give flight a 2000 year head start.
They could go back in time and give whatever invention or knowledge to whoever they wanted, and keep repeating this process until cavemen had flying cars and man had abilities not yet dreamed.
The first glider was made about 1800, so in 200 years we went from gliding to a man on the moon.
If someone had showed Ramses how to make a glider, DaVinci would have been working on a lot more than a crazy looking helicopter
The mere fact that we have not been space faring for 1000 years or more inclines me to believe that there will never be time travel.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ronnieray123
I have come to the conclusion that time travel is impossible, at least backwards in time.

If 500 years from now someone invented a time machine, one of the first things science would do is go back and give the cave man a wheel, or teach him how to plow. This would give civilization a HUGE boost.
Let us suppose that this allowed the discovery of time travel to happen in lets say 400 years from now instead of 500.
The traveler would therefor be inclined to go back in time again and teach the Egyptians how to make a glider and give flight a 2000 year head start.
They could go back in time and give whatever invention or knowledge to whoever they wanted, and keep repeating this process until cavemen had flying cars and man had abilities not yet dreamed.
The first glider was made about 1800, so in 200 years we went from gliding to a man on the moon.
If someone had showed Ramses how to make a glider, DaVinci would have been working on a lot more than a crazy looking helicopter
The mere fact that we have not been space faring for 1000 years or more inclines me to believe that there will never be time travel.

Physically displacing your body through time in an instant seems improbable, although, this is exactly what teleporting from one planet to another would be, theoretically. Something about creating a highly resonant and symmetric field on each planet, say, identical pyramids on each planet that create identical gravitational and EM fields.

I think any realistic approach to time travel would be non-mass based time travel, so you'll need to do some neurology combined with an understanding of quantum physics.

Good luck!
edit on 9-8-2012 by Soloro because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-8-2012 by Soloro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Time travel isn't possible at all, at least not the movie "time travel" where we go back in time to 1955 or something. It can't happen because "time" is always moving forward. I quote time because I'm not referring to clocks and hours I mean time as in life. Time being existence in all forms.

Humans are only capable of moving their particles through space, not time. Quantum Physics holds the answer.

The post above mine hints at the answer, but I know that matter can and will be able to move through space at any distance, but the limitation is time, we can only move through our current time frame.
edit on 9-8-2012 by chaakin because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-8-2012 by chaakin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Personally I don't believe time travel is achievable at this moment, but with the leap in technology we have had over the last 2 decades alone I have no doubt that it will be invented within the next 50 years.

I don't believe that time travellers would be able to come from the future to visit us in the present day because this is our timeline, I could understand them travelling back in time to an exact date of natural disasters or standout events that have been documented in our history, but how would they know when our present date is?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

I dont believe time travel is possible,,, but also you know of the grandfather paradox? say they went back in time to the egyptian era and gave the egyptians a bunch of guns,,, and in 3 years 20 egyptians kill every single human on planet earth and then shoot themselves,,, would the future timeline that would be going on, which is when and where the time traveller came from,,, vanish? would the time traveller immediately disappear because if everyone died in egyptian era he would not have been able to be born?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ronnieray123

if time travel was real the simple butterfly effect would change things

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
There was a book I read about 30 years ago, in it the author described a chronoscope. A device that let allowed the viewing of light waves that had already bounced off into space. In the book it allowed the viewing of events from recent past. No dinosaurs or founding fathers, just a few years back.
To some it lead to wives checking on their husbands, bosses checking on the employees..world leaders seeing what other world leaders did behind closed doors
Makes a person wonder if it is a good idea to even be allowed to view history, even as an observer.
If it ever did come about, you can be assured for the sake of everyone that the common person should never be allowed to know about it.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
What about John Titor? He's currently annoying me from the year 2000.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Never say never. Don't be so cocksure time travel is impossible based on your understanding of what time is. Why are you assuming this and your otehr assumptions at all. You are claiming one of the first things science would do is give cave men the wheel? Who says that would happen? How do you know that's the first thing they would do? How do you know someone would give an Egyptian Pharoh a glider? Those are complete fabrications on your part.

Think about it. Let's pretend someone did invent a time machine. Do you honestly believe that the first thing they would do is something that had the potential to completely disrupt what has happened over the last, say, 50,000 years, enough so that you might not even exist yourself? Of course not. You would put into place some sort of Prime Directive that said, "Don't mess with stuff." and then proceed to do as little as possible in your journeys.

Secondly, just because you introduce a new technology to a random group of cave men, let's say, doesn't mean that WOULD change history at all. Inventions tend to arise when the infrastructure is ready to support them. Roman civilization, for example, was very advanced. They had running water and sewers. They invented concrete. They even had odometers for their carts so they could be rented out by the mile. But they had no electricity. Their infrastructure could not support it. If they had been given a flashlight, they wouldn't have been able to reproduce it. Giving them an iPod wouldn't do any good.

There are many good threads on time travel on these pages that go into detail on many of the theoretical and practical aspects of time travel and why or why not it would be possible, but this line of reasoning that technology would inevitably be seeded back in time is nearly fruitless. Besides, how would you know? Where did Da Vinci really get his drawings from?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Time may have many paths.
Time could very well work in such a fashion that you could go back in time, and kill your mother and father before they ever met, creating an alternate time line at zero risk to your own existence.

Anyone could thus play with time to their heart's content creating and participating any number of countless counter realities without ever effecting their point of origin.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Here's an idea for you: Time travel is completly possible, but the reason no humans have come back to visit us is because they have all died before a time travel device was ever invented.

Another thought: We might have been visited by time travel's from a distance future but they are not human, maybe all the UFO's which have been seen since man could draw on a cave wall have been such visitor, simply trying to peice together what happened to the human race.

Just an idea!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I read your post, and interestingly, I asked Steven Hawking directly if he believed anti-gravity was possible. He said:
"I do not believe anti-gravity is possible because that would mean we would have time travel, and if that were possible, we should have met someone from the future."

Another interesting possibility is that if someone had time travel and others did not, it wouid be easy to manipulate time without anyone knowing or perceiving the changes, including covering times when people found out.

Just some thoughts.
S&F for using the same logic as Steven Hawking

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by felixjames20

Or maybe time travelers have come back and visited this time or preceding times in the past. Them not announcing their activities due to the theory that they could change our timeline and alter our future.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I have always found the shoe print in stone dated at millions of years old interesting.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

What if there is more than one TIME....

We always think of Time as one thing.

What if it is more than one thing.

How would that change our outlook on things ?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Humans tell me the most probable outcome is going back and passing the invention along before it was invented.
Guy works on a time machine, when he is 65 he figures it out.
Now he is thinking, I will be dead in like 10 years, I am going to become super rich and not only am I too old to enjoy it, but I wont even be around long enough to put my invention to good use. AHHH I know, I will go back in time and give the invention to myself when I was a sophomore, then I will be rich at 25yo and still have enough time left to enjoy myself.
and we all no that no matter what else.....there is always someone who is going to do something because"It is for the good of mankind"

Do you doubt that some doctor if given the chance would not go back to the middle ages and whisper in someones ear....You know it is those rats that are causing the plague" Imagine what it would be like if over 1/2 of Europe was not wiped out by the plague. There are 750 million right now, It is scary to think how many people there would be in Europe today if the plague never happened.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

or this.....What if it has to run through 1x first, you have to record the CD before you can play it back.....maybe we are still in the recording studio laying down that first track
edit on 9-8-2012 by ronnieray123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

You've only listed some paradoxes as you see them, and there are plenty of others, some of which were mentioned here like the grandfather paradox. There are more paradoxes here:

Time Travel Paradoxes

But the fact that we can't get our minds around a paradox doesn't prove something is impossible.

Time Travel Theories

Backward time travel has become a big topic of discussion. Physicists disagree about whether or not backward time travel can actually exist within the laws of physics and how it might exist.

If you're interested in these theories you should read up on the scientific theories.

Alternatively, if you just want an alternative view on your paradox, it's provided in shows like "Timecop":

Timecop (1997)

"Timecop" follows the adventures of Jack Logan, a time traveler from 2007, who hunts down rogue travelers and brings them to justice before they can alter the past.
In that scifi show, time travel is possible but timecops stop anybody who tries to alter the timeline. This could be one possible explanation of why the timeline isn't altered by backward time travel, if it's possible.

I think backward time travel probably isn't possible, not because of the paradoxes, but because of the way physical laws work. But if physicists are debating the topic (they are), I think the answer is far from certain.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

if you further detail what exactly you mean by that maybe we can answer you.....

more then one time,,, what do you mean by this?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

if you further detail what exactly you mean by that maybe we can answer you.....

more then one time,,, what do you mean by this?

I'm certain the poster was likely referring to the concept that Time, as we know it, may not be as linear as we perceive it, but, possibly geometrically complicated such that there are no paradoxes.

With geometric Time, any time visited or altered has no effect on the point of origin.
Points of origin are static. Interactions with all other points in geometric time will flower off alternative and separate geometries.

In such a way, any origin point that contains the ability to time travel could safely remain static and indestructible, capable of flowering off infinite possible alternatives from itself where any time traveler would also have an infinite variety of alternative geometries to explore and/or create without ever a worry of altering the point of origin.

Any time traveler could kill as many grandfathers as they desired without ever an impact on their own existence or anyone else's from the point of origin.

That is, of course, if time is more geometric than linear. We perceive and experience linearity, but, our perceptions aren't necessarily the best in the animal kingdom, even with the assistance of our inventions. Often we have to revision and interpret those things and concepts which don't fit our perceptual context down to a denominator which we can understand.

edit on 9-8-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join