It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 Earthquakes in Southern Cali in the past 14 hours

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Dearest Alysha,

I am a full-time geology student working on my BA. I can tell you from the scientific standpoint, there is NO way the entire state of California will ever fall into the ocean, nor will the entire west coast of the state fall into the ocean. It's impossible.....not even if a HUGE asteroid hit California directly would it EVER fall off into the ocean, so please stop with the "California is gonna fall into the ocean". Take some geology classes and do research please.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by alysha.angel
i hate to break it to ya folks but its a well know fact that sooner or later the whole state of cali will fall into the ocean .. iv known this for years .. but two 4+ quakes back to back, is unusual for the area ..

It's a well known fact, eh?

I was under the impression that several areas on the coastal regions of California lay on the pacific plate, rather than the North American plate. With that said, it is a strike-slip fault line

volcanocafe.files.wordpress.com...

For areas of the state to 'fall' into the ocean, a very rare occurrence would have to take place within the lithosphere and asthenosphere.

In many millions of years, those coastal areas will be islands off the coast of then mainland North America.
edit on 9-8-2012 by Soloro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by damingus

Originally posted by klhbrown
Current HAARP Map
Can't post a photo for some reason . . .
www.haarpstatus.com...

I'm new to the HAARP thing. What do the stars mean?
The ATS servers arent based in Cali are they?

I think the stars just mean "warning." Here's what the website says . . .

August 9, 2012

At 8:50am Pacific Daylight Time, A week long duration wave was building over the Western United States and since has come to a peak.

A double-reading was shown on preliminary results, embedded within the single longwave. Further analysis has shown this to not be a computer error.

Two M8s have peaked in California. These longwaves have been known to produce violent weather or Earthquakes nearby.

Areas around Mexico, California, Oregon, Washington, Canada, and Alaska should be on the look out for increased seismic activity.

Sorry, my ex-text button doesn't seem to be working either

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by watchdog

it is the most absolutely ignorant perspective one can have... believing that going to school... getting a degree. doing some so called "studying" means that you have absolutely any idea of what is possible...

we are going to see that here very very soon. that our so called experts on everything that is life (and what we believe it means to be a so called expert) is very very very very much an illusion.
edit on 9-8-2012 by nicolet because: (no reason given)

btw i am not saying that what she says is going to happen. i am just saying that what we believe is possible.. and what we believe we so called "know" is about to be completely shattered... whether it is via a natural disaster or something else still remains to be seen... but it is coming.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by nicolet

LOL Nicolet. I didn't claim to be an "expert". I stated that I am a "student"....so far from expert. Let's see though...the earth is how many billions of years old? Oh yea, and how long has California as we know it today been sitting off the western coast of North America? Oh and how many EQ's and megathrust EQ's has California had during that time? COMMON SENSE tells us that as old as California is and as many EQ's as it has had, that if it was going to "fall off into the ocean" it would have done it already. Sorry to burst your bubbly deary.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchdog

Dearest Alysha,

I am a full-time geology student working on my BA. I can tell you from the scientific standpoint, there is NO way the entire state of California will ever fall into the ocean, nor will the entire west coast of the state fall into the ocean. It's impossible.....not even if a HUGE asteroid hit California directly would it EVER fall off into the ocean, so please stop with the "California is gonna fall into the ocean". Take some geology classes and do research please.

that i didnt know and good for you.. . so your saying a series of 9+ quakes along the san andreas fault line would not weaken the state lines or even the northern cali\navada mountain rage ..?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by nicolet

it is the most absolutely ignorant perspective one can have... believing that going to school... getting a degree. doing some so called "studying" means that you have absolutely any idea of what is possible...

we are going to see that here very very soon. that our so called experts on everything that is life (and what we believe it means to be a so called expert) is very very very very much an illusion.

btw i am not saying that what she says is going to happen. i am just saying that what we believe is possible.. and what we believe we so called "know" is about to be completely shattered... whether it is via a natural disaster or something else still remains to be seen... but it is coming.

Next time you have a serious health problem go to a person who has a hunch about how to treat you instead of a doctor who studied and has a degree. Doubt you will because you won't put your money where you mouth is. just shooting your mouth off

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by nicolet

To be honest I'll believe the people with the degree until somebody comes up with something sufficient to disprove generations of academic analysis and peer-reviewed scientific study. Call me old fashioned like that.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Alysha,

That is what I am saying. The San Andreas Fault system is a right-lateral strike-slip fault also known as a transform fault. It is the boundary between the Pacific plate and North American plate. The two are moving parallel past one another which is what causes the EQ's. They move past each other at about the same rate your fingernails grow every year and one day many many MANY years from now, Los Angeles will be right next to San Francisco.

To my knowledge there have never been any Mag. 9.0 earthquakes in California, but in 1906 the San Andreas fault experienced a roughly 7.9-8.2 magnitude earthquake near San Francisco. It ruptured the fault and it didn't fall into the ocean. Also, we do know that the Cascadian Fault system HAS experienced megathrust earthquakes and Washington State nor Oregon or large parts of their states ever fell into the ocean.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by kopitedor

I have had this page loaded since yesterday. The activity is CRAZY. Yesterday it had a pattern of moving south along the "ring of fire". Very un-nerving.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by FranciPants1228

I have had this page loaded since yesterday. The activity is CRAZY. Yesterday it had a pattern of moving south along the "ring of fire". Very un-nerving.

What page are you referring to?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by riverwild

Oh Im sorry. The live EQ map.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kurthall

While any major fault line WILL get a big one, and we in SoCal WILL get a "big one" ... it IS a good thing to have several quakes like this as it does relieve the tectonic pressure and could reduce the magnitude of said "big one".

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

You are correct. In recorded history, CA has never had a 9.0 or higher nor is it otherwise likely that we ever have.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by riverwild

Oh Im sorry. The live EQ map.

Can you please post a link?

Many thanks.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Earthquake map eq reply to post by riverwild

This is the one i been following

Z

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by riverwild

Here is a link to a good quake tracker
quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
After having lived over 30 years in California, I relocated to another state. ONE FACT, CALIFORNIA CANNOT DENY IS THEY ARE LO-O-O-O-O-O-N-G OVERDUE FOR "THE BIG ONE." Just stating the obvious facts. a 9.5 magnitude earthquake might not even be needed to put California underwater, geographically speaking!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Not to sound overly snarky here, but why do people continue to live in SoCal?

If the wildfires don't get your house the mudslides will if you live in the hills. It's a fire dependent ecosystem, many of the seeds need fire to germinate.

And we know that in the 1600's a giant tsunami washed inland over 70 miles.

Between the fires, the mudslides, the earthquakes and the very real tsunami threat, why?

Sure the weather is always nice, but LA was and is a desert. It takes 40 gallons of water per day for each palm tree, not to mention all the lawns and golf courses.

I saw a guy on the news last year crying because it was the 3rd time he had lost his house in the last 15 years.

I'm sorry, but I had a hard time feeling sympathy for him.

If I build a new house on a snowbank every winter I shouldn't get bailed out in spring when my foundation melts.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by RELDDIR

If you mean "underwater" as in coastal and inland flooding due to a tsunami or significant weather event, yes, but "underwater" as in California or part of it, breaks off a chunk and slips out into the ocean, nope.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join