It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Curiosity had nano quadrotors or something like would this enhance ROVER MINERAL/VIDEO data, ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
If Curiosity had nano quadrotors like shown in OP or nano drillers, would data collection of MARS or other planets be easier? So a ROVER would drop in and once it made it to safe descent it releases many nano quadrotors or drills if not swimmers to do sky/topographic or land/liquid observations.
You might enjoy this show which sort of demonstrates your concept/idea for flying probes:

Alien Planet

"Having identified Darwin as a likely home for life, scientists send a series of unmanned probes to the planet."

And guess what? They send large probes (a little larger than curiosity) which are like small blimps and they release mini-probes, both on the ground and flying which can get to small places the large probe can't (see the small flying probes, 6 of them, on top of the main probe at 14:46 in the video). Some very bright scientists were consulted to come up with these ideas, so it's a somewhat realistic possible future scenario. While the bad news is you weren't the first to think of it, the good news is, this shows your idea is a good one.

However as others have pointed out, the atmosphere on Mars is too thin for quadrotors to fly efficiently, since Mars only has about one one-hundredth the atmospheric density of Earth. So it won't work on Mars but it would work on an Earth-like planet as this video demonstrates.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I would like to thank you all for taking time to share some input in on the subject. As for now the issue related to atmospheric differences between EA*RTH and MARS would cause problems with EA*RTH type quad rotor uav assisting the Rovers. This all makes sense so hopefully in time those scientist who CAN make it happen will.

As mentioned within the thread the gliders sound like a good idea and if a magnetic orbiter was placed in MARS airspace to guide the gliders some how I think the chance to gain better images is a possibility.

I have received, I will say comms data energy
lol also though more less relaying that IF MARS LIFE DOES EXIST THEN THIS IDEA WOULD ONLY EXPOSE DATA AS OF NOW NOT TO BE SHARED with many EA*RTH inhabitants ABOVE GROUND
AND 1 UNDERSTANDS THE PROTOCOLS RELATED.

NAMASTE*******

edit on 8/8/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I've just come across a rather interesting article about using large balloons to photograph Mars. Hope you enjoy.

www.spacedaily.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by NoExpert

perfect and thanks I will be checking it out as well as the kinds of materials/gas they use

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join