It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest Mirror on Earth (seen from OUTER SPACE!) O_O

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
too lazy to search... so if it's already posted and I should search before posting.... thank you, but stay on topic

This is the Salar de Uyuni, the largest salt flatland in the world at 4,086 square miles (10,582 kilometers). Every year, this amazing wonderland in southwest Bolivia covers with a thin layer of water. When that happens, it turns into the largest mirror on the planet, as these photos recently taken by Takaki Watanabe show. The resulting landscape is absolutely surreal, out of a Salvador Dalí painting. I want to go there—¡pronto! The salar is formed by several preshistoric lakes, which started to transform 30,000 to 42,000 years ago. Covered by several feet of salt, the Salar de Uyuni stays dry most of the year except a few days, when it rains and turns into this wonder. And while it looks like it must be hell on Earth, it's not hot at all: its temperatures range from a low 55 degrees Fahrenheit (13º C) to 70º F (21º F). But the most surreal part is the fact that is a major breeding ground for pink flamingos. Can you imagine a flock of thousands of flamingos flying over this perfect mirror? I want to see that one day.

Chalk another amazing place up for the bucket list. Enjoy

~BS
edit on 7-8-2012 by MikhailBakunin because: fixing sh!t

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
That is awesome!!

No second line, because of the pure awesomeness.

vvv

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
That destination is going on my bucket list...

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Imagine the flamingos! I´m speechless, good find OP

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Every girls dream, as they can't get a mirror big enough

Nice pics

edit on 7-8-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Just amazing..

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
WOW, that looks very beautiful and breathtaking.

Nice find.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Fisherr

That was an amazing video, guy looked like he was riding his bike through the sky amazing really. Liked the tune too
at first i thought it was KLF, but then found out it was the theme from twin peaks (I never watched it )

Anyway thanks for posting, and flag for the OP, I had never heard of this, just goes to show how amazing our planet is

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I wouldnt call it a perfect mirror. It just looks that way when viewed from a very low angle like any body of water. You get the same effect on a pond, lake or even the sea. When viewed from above it just looks like a normal salt flat as you can see from the aerial pic.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
So cool! I would really like to go here some day...oh the wonders of South America.
Thanks OP :]

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Very cool catch OP, woud make a good reflective serface for a telescope if possible.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Those pictures were taken from outer space

Ohhhh... I get it. I think. These are pictures of a mirror that also happens to be visible from outer space. But these ones were not taken from outer space. Ok, I understand it, but I'm still kinda bummed out...

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3n19m470
Those pictures were taken from outer space

Ohhhh... I get it. I think. These are pictures of a mirror that also happens to be visible from outer space. But these ones were not taken from outer space. Ok, I understand it, but I'm still kinda bummed out...

the last pic is google earth... try it yourself...

google earth... you know... done by satellites... hahahaha of course... the up close pics are the breathtaking views

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
wow.....this world is beautiful....

glad I am here.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
S&F

Thanks OP, great photos! Looks like a beautiful place, would definitely love to see this!

top topics

join