It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live Link thread for all who want to watch The rover tonight..

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Jobeycool

Yes, it seems like a lot of money, but (in my opinion) it is very well worth it.

Maybe next time a mission similar to this is planned, NASA or the relative space agency will consult with the public to take a vote on scrapping the project or moving forward.

If the plan is scrapped then the money that was going to be used for the mission can be divided up to the public who is responsible for providing the funding for the mission...

I know what I'll will be getting with my $7.00 stipend from the cancelled mission; a 'footlong' cold cut combo, a coca-cola, and maybe I'll have enough for a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos - now if we can just figure out what other un-important/useless expenditures we can cancel, I might get enough to pay for the gas to get me to Subway.... stem cell research, research for cancer cures... hmm
edit on 6-8-2012 by esteay812 because: tyops

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by foursecondpin
Did he just say if anyone from the NSA is listening you need to watch the next flyby? It was directly after the guy shouted holy sh*t
edit on 6-8-2012 by foursecondpin because: typo

www.youtube.com... 2pK1GqjP4Tz1-Bk92HY6w&index=1&feature=plcp

I just posted this video on youtube in regards to the audio broadcast of someone saying "If anybody in the NSA is listening, you should check out our target location..ugh... on this current fly through....if anyone in the NSA is online, YOU SHOULDDDDDDD WATCH THIS FLIGHT."

This is very strange to me... what could he possibly be referring to?.... and why is he urging NSA to "WATCH THIS FLIGHT" ?

edit on 6-8-2012 by 417francois because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-8-2012 by 417francois because: new to contributing

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I knew that Mohawk dude would not go unnoticed!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by np6888

It costs less than a billion dollars to start it.

And only a few billion to secure it.

Did you ever look it up? Or do I have to publicly humiliate you again...
edit on 6-8-2012 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jobeycool
Billions and billions of dollars to look at more dirt on Mars.I mean it is cool to see what other planets look like on thier surface but this is more of the same stuff as the other rover missions.

Americans spend more than $7,000,000,000 USD on potato chips alone each year. The Curiosity project cost $2.5B. That's almost a third of the money we spend on potato chips in America and it will lead to the large body of knowledge that is science and tell us if there was ever life of Mars and if Mars will be suitable for life, as well as prepare us to land on different planets in the future.

What do you guys think? Maybe we could stop stuffing our fat faces and give some money to NASA?
edit on 6-8-2012 by ErroneousDylan because: To add.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
And you reallt think that all of this has happened...?

c 'mon.

Just the - umpth Ritual.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
So I would like to see somebody debunk that photo of artifact. If it is the mouse cursor, why are there 2? Its brightness is distinct from the rest of the photo. And it got a LOT of buzz around the room at the time. I was watching the live feed and people were going crazy.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Billion dollars was spent and i find it funny they couldn't get a better camera manufactured.

Convincing pictures though!

edit on 6-8-2012 by iIuminaIi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I really don't understand the people who think it's a waste of money to explore other worlds. We can come up with a list of things humanity needlessly spends on, and I'm referring to items created solely to cause harm to other humans. I wish we'd spend 100x more than what we do on space exploration.

I also wish we'd get what we want for the money. A manned mission to the moon again for starters, plenty of untouched high res images and video.

Anyway I'm glad all seems to have gone well with the landing, can't wait to see the high res images that should be coming soon. Mars is such a fascinating planet.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by IamMe14

Yeah, some people should have watched the press conference last night. Basically, it summed up that having a rover on Mars is a "priceless" national asset. No other country has this. It is worth more than anyone could imagine. Worth way more than the $2.5B it cost to fund all of it.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by iIuminaIi

Billion dollars was spent and i find it funny they couldn't get a better camera manufactured.

I find it sad that you don't have the slightest idea of what you are talking about. That you haven't bothered to understand what was expected and is expected from Curiosity. That you have no idea what it will be doing.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Curiosity has a video cam on board correct? Will this be the first video of Mars ever? I can't recall ever seeing video in the past, that seems very exciting. I'm really looking forward to that. Pictures are amazing, but seeing actual video would be in another league of awesome imo.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan
Maybe we could stop stuffing our fat faces and give some money to NASA?

I believe someone in the control room said last night that the money spent amounted to $7 per person in the US.

For those of us unable to work that $7 is a LOT of money...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Curiosity has 17 cameras on board. The grainy b/w pictures seen so far are only the "hazcam" images, serving the sole purpose to confirm that the lander landed well and stands firm on solid Mars ground.

You people need to wait until all the other equipment and cams are activated - stop it with complaining about the grainy b/w pictures. You look embarrasingly ignorant.

We can expect images and video which will likely FAR surpass anything else we have from Mars up to this date.
edit on 6-8-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

$2,198,739,424 USD. Three times less than Americans spend on potato chips yearly.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123
Curiosity has 17 cameras on board. The grainy b/w pictures seen so far are only the "hazmat" cam images, serving the sole purpose to confirm that the lander landed well and stands firm on solid Mars ground.

You people need to wait until all the other equipment and cams are activated - stop it with complaining about the grainy b/w pictures. You look embarrasingly ignorant.

We can expect images and video which will likely FAR surpass anything else we have from Mars up to this date.

Hazcams*

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murgatroid

Maybe we could stop stuffing our fat faces and give some money to NASA?

I believe someone in the control room said last night that the money spent amounted to $7 per person in the US.

For those of us unable to work that $7 is a LOT of money...

The NASA budget is dwarfed by the military budget - but you don't complain about that?
Heck i WISH we had a budget for science and space travel equal to the military spending - we would probably already LIVE on mars right now. Please.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123
Curiosity has 17 cameras on board. The grainy b/w pictures seen so far are only the "hazmat" cam images, serving the sole purpose to confirm that the lander landed well and stands firm on solid Mars ground.

Hazcams*

Heck i am tired today, stayed up yesterday to watch all this til 9am my time..can't think straight

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

reply to post by Murgatroid

$2,198,739,424 USD. Three times less than Americans spend on potato chips yearly.

The MSL is actually even less than $2.2 billion "yearly". The entire budget for MSL is spread over a nine year period (from the beginning of the program in 2006 to the planned end in 2014, although there will probably be mission time extensions -- and, albeit, additional costs -- past 2014 if all goes well).

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22 >>

join