It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In China, the rich and powerful can hire body doubles to do their prison time for them

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

The practice of hiring “body doubles” or “stand-ins” is well-documented by official Chinese media. In 2009, a hospital president who caused a deadly traffic accident hired an employee’s father to “confess” and serve as his stand-in. A company chairman is currently charged with allegedly arranging criminal substitutes for the executives of two other companies. In another case, after hitting and killing a motorcyclist, a man driving without a license hired a substitute for roughly $8,000.

The owner of a demolition company that illegally demolished a home earlier this year hired a destitute man, who made his living scavenging in the rubble of razed homes, and promised him $31 for each day the “body double” spent in jail. In China, the practice is so common that there is even a term for it: ding zui. Ding means “substitute,” and zui means “crime”; in other words, “substitute criminal.”

Source: Slate.com

Just fyi, this is my first post.

Its amazing what you can get away with when your pockets and connections are deep. I do wonder how many people worldwide are guilty of this as well?

Maybe Assange should take note.

edit on 8/3/2012 by Lysis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysis

Hmm..im wondering about Bernie Madoff now.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Is there no end to the growing gap between those with lots of money and those with little or none?

Forced organ harvesting and now this in China.

Great first post, are you the only stand in?
edit on 3-8-2012 by Dr Expired because: last line

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I'm just curious of the practicalities of going about this.

Do you get charged, released in bail then sort this out with some poor person or do the crime and get someone groomed to confess for you before the police come looking for you? Just seems weird, but China has alot of things ppl turn a blind eye to, like organ harvesting. Money rules the world as they say.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
If you were a paid stand in at an American jail you could be spending all the money you made on lube and therapy.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysis

We do this in the states, too. Only they aren't "doubles", they are just called "patsies", "scapegoats", or "fall guys". How often do you see a US millionaire go to jail?

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Point taken. Millionaires have the resources for lengthy trials and appeals. However, some millionaires do serve some time depending on how high profile their case is. Martha Stewart comes to mind. However, she was a billionaire that only served 5 months in prison.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

It kind of shows where all this Chinese Growth is going,not the people, that's for sure.
I hate to see the middle class disappear,i hate it.

Edit: Oh yeah.welcome to ATS.good post mate
edit on 3-8-2012 by metodex because: courtesy

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by metodex

Chinese growth is definitely not in favor of the people right now. Its growing too fast at an unsustainable and seemingly artificial rate. In order to keep up as well as build up their GDP further, they've been building sprawling cities all over China that no one lives in. The reason? Hardly anyone in China can afford to live in these newly built cities.

Check it out. Business Insider

top topics

join