It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey folks from UK!!! Have a recipe question.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
My husband and I lived in London for quite some time yrs ago and I recall a gravy/soup type dish and wanted to make it. Hadnt thought of it in yrs.. and got a craving for it suddenly

We had made friends with a Jesuit and he served us a dish called "Drippin's" or drippings that he said he was fed for tea a lot when younger. To me, it tasted like a hearty meat gravy with toast chunks and a cheese melted on top. Makes me salivate thinking of it. LOL! Anyway, does anyone have THE recipe or a version of this recipe? I'd love to make it for my kids as I am sure they dont recall having it since they were so young at the time. Id LOVE to incorporate a small "meal" of Drippings and squash for the kids sometimes.. aka big ol excuse for me to chow down on Gods own food group.. GRAVY!

Thanks in advance!!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Don't know it myself but here's a flag.... Hopefully you'll get the recipe!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
This?

If you know the name, then just google it for the recipe; I'm sure there are tons around online.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
beef drippings?, good lord you must be hungry.en.wikipedia.org...(darn, smokey beet me to it).

i thought it was what poor people ate in the 1900's.

edit on 2-8-2012 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Thanks guys

No. I know what fat drippings are ( and use them extensively in cooking myself ) and looked everywhere I knew to look for this particular recipe.
Its made from fat drippings but there was milk, flour opr maybe corn starch, some spices that Im most interested in learning what they were, onions.. and either mozarella or swiss melted and in the bottom were chunks of heavy brown bread.

Dammit.. Im hungry again.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Sounds like an English Stew, it has different names/meat in different regions. Im trying to think of the name in my region (Stoke-On-Trent), it's really doing my head in!! Begins with the letter B though

edit on 2-8-2012 by Trolloks because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Trolloks

it might be 'Betty's Hot Pot'.
britishfood.about.com...

edit on 2-8-2012 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimosa

Nah, thats a sort of pie (gravey, meat,veg, and depending on the pub/cook, ale. And a pastrey topping)

LOBBY! thats what i was thinking!

Lobby

Staffordshire has many traditional dishes - including 'Lobby' which was eaten by poorly paid potters who could not afford fresh food every day. But what do modern day people from the Potteries think of it? Picture this... you get in from a busy day's work on a Wednesday night and you're starving! You've worked really hard so you deserve a real treat. What could be a more sumptuous dish than left over meat from Sunday lunch, boiled in a pot with some animal bones? ...with a bit of diced onion and other veg lobbed in to maximize the flavour! Yummy or what!? Well O.K. it sounds pretty gross, but this is a traditional Staffordshire dish enjoyed by many a potter.

Was this simular? It ranges from regions, but it sounds like the kind of dish you where after

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trolloks
reply to post by lacrimosa

Nah, thats a sort of pie (gravey, meat,veg, and depending on the pub/cook, ale. And a pastrey topping)

LOBBY! thats what i was thinking!

Lobby

Staffordshire has many traditional dishes - including 'Lobby' which was eaten by poorly paid potters who could not afford fresh food every day. But what do modern day people from the Potteries think of it? Picture this... you get in from a busy day's work on a Wednesday night and you're starving! You've worked really hard so you deserve a real treat. What could be a more sumptuous dish than left over meat from Sunday lunch, boiled in a pot with some animal bones? ...with a bit of diced onion and other veg lobbed in to maximize the flavour! Yummy or what!? Well O.K. it sounds pretty gross, but this is a traditional Staffordshire dish enjoyed by many a potter.

Was this simular? It ranges from regions, but it sounds like the kind of dish you where after

Now this sounds VERY much like it
Poor food sounds like that could be it.. catholic orphanage.. then became a priest. He said he had it just about every night as a kid.

Hmmm THANKS Im going to give this a go tomrrow and add some swiss and brown bread.

See.. ATS is the place to come for everything.. aliens, satanic holiday info, Moloch, insidious govt coverups, wacky religious discussions... AND recipes you cant find anywhere.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Back in the day every region around the UK had their own stew, IMO no one does stew better than the Irish.

I recormend a bit of Bovril to add some beefy flavour in there, with a bit of worstercher source and potato's, potatos are the best for soaking up flavour, and don't turn mushy and as soggy as bread

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trolloks
Back in the day every region around the UK had their own stew, IMO no one does stew better than the Irish.

I recormend a bit of Bovril to add some beefy flavour in there, with a bit of worstercher source and potato's, potatos are the best for soaking up flavour, and don't turn mushy and as soggy as bread

Excellent and thank you VERY much
Maybe its the worstercher that I tasted that was unusual and I couldnt place from a memory that long ago
Ill definitely try this tomorrow. Again, thank you very much for the suggestions!

top topics

join