It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Birch Panel Gripe [APWC]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Pale striations cover my face, so white and smoothed by a thousand fine sandpaper strokes. Subtle curves grace my edges, my corners so carefully formed by his hands. I give myself up to his loving touch. The crude chainsaw cutting of my mother and the subsequent rough treatment of planer and nails has slowly receded in my memory.

I am now perfected.

But wait... what is this watery wash of white with which he slathers my face and sides? It has a peculiar scent not unlike my memory of pine. Each coating is allowed to dry completely before another is applied. Over and over, the white is applied until it becomes thick upon my surface. What is this human doing? Hiding my face? Does he, after all that he'd done to make me feel loved, now no longer wish to see me?

I feel slighted.

And yet, once more the sanding begins. The little wrinkles hold the white wash while my hardier winter grain is reduced. Even the slightest warp and woof of my face is being levelled to a uniform consistency. I am becoming impersonal, my character eradicated. Oh, woe is me!

The process is repeated over and over... sanding, white wash, sanding, white wash, until there is nothing left to show what I once was. I am nameless. A void. A nothingness in shining white. A *sob* ZERO! This cannot be my ending! A nameless sham, an obliterated birch panel now remains of what was once a proud tree shining white against the darkness of the pines.

Wait... shining white birch bark trees! I still have that little bit to tell the world what I once was. Perhaps this human has at least a tiny bit of respect for me yet. For this I am somewhat grudgingly grateful, although I cannot completely forgive him.

But then I feel the tickling of a pencil as it scurries back and forth on my face. Gently it goes, careful not to indent my white surface. I sense it all over, much gentler than the sandpaper and a only little rougher than the quick strokes of the brush. I hear the human muttering and groaning as he works. I see his eyes squinting. He is all worked up for sure, that I know. He reminds me of squirrels.

What the hell is this nutcase up to?

A white eraser becomes a constant companion of the pencil as he struggles with me. They are happy, I can tell, these two. Rub, rub, scribble scribble, rub and scribble some more. The humans face is intense, bearing down until his long sweaty stinky nose almost smudges the grey marks he'd made on my face.

Days go by like this and I wonder if I'd fallen into the hands of a lunatic, but no-o-o-. Finally he smiles as if he admires his frenetic handiwork and then it was another half dozen thin white washes over the pencilling he'd done and I knew this would be a permanent defacement.

Next thing I knew, he was whistling happily, albeit a little tunelessly, and mixing pots of paint while staring at me intently. There were deep indigo and bright orange paints being created, curiously in catfood tins with plastic covers. There also was a selection of brushes... big ones and little ones.

What in tarnation was this idiot up to?

OMG... No way... It can't be!!!

He's putting his own ugly face on me!!!

Aaaaaargh!!!! Look at this monstrosity! Oh, the shame of it all.

Note: This entry into the contest will not be for in the running for a win. I can't applaud myself anyway, ya know.

edit on 2/8/12 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
A fantastic story...I honestly felt the emotions of that little piece of wood.

I somehow feel compelled to come and rescue the poor remnant of a once slendid tree, and maybe bury it in the forest next to his kin.

Of course, I wouldn't really do that.
...but when a story gives you ideas and emotions such as these, it is indeed "a work of art".

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
I somehow feel compelled to come and rescue the poor remnant of a once slendid tree, and maybe bury it in the forest next to his kin.

Believe me, I often wish the panels I paint on were still attached to the tree and never been cut down for such degenerate and egotistical 'hobbies' for artists as myself aspire to. Often, the finished work deserves nothing less than sweet oblivion.

Thanks for reading.
edit on 2/8/12 by masqua because: grmmr

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I loved the little details in this piece, the depth of description is great, especially the "he's painting his own ugly mug on it" at the end. Excellent work

S&F.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Sweet story masqua - in fact I used it as inspiration to write my own entry in this month’s comp.

Assuming the pic at the bottom is yours you are also an amazingly talented painter. Can I assume that now I have a face to put to your name…?

edit on 4/8/2012 by 1littlewolf because: spelling

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

I'll never tell. This ain't Facebook, you know.

Glad my story was the source of inspiration. I suspected as much when I first read your excellent submission last night.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
My mind's eye was on the Pinnochio route until I saw the picture; then, my first thought was "his nose is way too short!"

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

In reality it's much longer and has small twigs growing out of the nostrils. I blame 'artistic balance' for the discrepancies..

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Aww, I'm sorry. I can't even draw stick figures! So that's your own artwork there? If so, WOW!

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

Meh... it's all about persistence.

You start with one and just keep on doing it.

btw... tnx for the compliment

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
A multifaceted story wood'en ya know.

top topics

join