It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sharia-Compliant VayCay? Someone Please Tell Me These Are Photoshopped.....

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
These are photos from an agency promoting " Sharia-compliant vacations "

I'm not Muslim, but I would be extremely offended if it came to light that these images were, in fact, actually photoshopped. I would have to ask why someone would take it upon themselves to do such?

If they are not altered in any way, then I am extremely offended as a woman that other women are expected to live out their lives this way.
I am at a complete loss as to how this continues to be justified?

I agree with the sentiment that, as a whole, many other cultures outside of Islam have gone way overboard in sluttin'-it-up with the gross lack of clothing that has become considered as perfectly normal.

For instance, it is almost IMPOSSIBLE for me to find shorts for my 7 year old daughter that are of a decent length for a child. Little girls' shorts should not be so short that they could almost pass for underwear.

And for myself, it is almost impossible for me to find a tank-top that keeps my bra and bra strap completely covered without me having to "monitor" my clothing after any significant physical activity. If I wanted to show the world my bra, then I wouldn't be wearing the damn tank-top....I mean, really??

But it seems that Sharia-compliant women are at the COMPLETELY OPPOSITE end of the spectrum. These burka things that they are expected to wear seem just as inappropriate as the lack of clothing seen in other cultures. Even more so, as it seems obvious to me that they severly limit these women as to what activities they are even physically able to participate in. That would make it more of a handicap than just a simple inconvenience, in my opinion.
For crying out loud!! They have no business being in the water with all that fabric, as it does nothing execept exponentially increase their chances of drowning.....they might as well be swimming with an anvil or a cinder block!!!

Is there anyone that can explain how they justify expecting women to dress this extreme? Please share your thoughts and understandings as to how you believe this type of clothing is needed, wanted and desired.

As stated previously, I in no way claim that the lack of clothing exhibited by non-Islamic cultures is justified. Thus I would like to make it clear that my intent is NOT to pass judgment on the religious beliefs that Islamic women should be covered. I agree, women should not be parading around like sidewalk whores.
However, I also feel that it is perfectly acceptable to appreciate the beauty of a woman when done so tastefully and respectfully---whether that be the woman or the observer.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
LOL. that just looks silly.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by stupid girl

According to your article.

The photos are so unusual that it wouldn’t be surprising if they were photoshopped, but the company and the vacations appear to be real.

Good business model for those who want to honor their religious beliefs while on vacation.

As much as I disagree with it.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by definity

Yes, I must concur.
To wear something like that in an effort to enjoy water-sport activities is beyond ridiculous.
Surely there could be some sort of compromise in that regard?
And why does it have to be black, of all colors? The hottest color you can wear in the sun?!?
It's a wonder these women don't suffocate from heat exhaustion.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

True, but it only says that they appear [seem] to be legitimate and un-altered.

I would be interested if ATS members who specialize in photo authenticity/photoshop images could somehow verify whether they believe if they have been altered or not.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Don't know what country for those pics, but is the Burka banned in England and France?

Just curious.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Hi and this whole issue has always dumbfounded me...that it is even an issue. Why is it anyone's business what the woman in the OP photos wears? Her body, her religion, her choice. Nothing she chooses to wear should be anyone else's concern. I say leave them alone and accept their beliefs and especially their belief in covering up.

If we can't even stop getting up in arms over something as trivial as the desire of another to cover up, as is their tradition, how could we ever expect peace. If American women want the right to wear a tube top then back off the burka hate. Jeeesh. Let it be.

This is not an issue.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
AHAHAHA it kinda looks like some crazy mad nightmate specter from the nether world has decided to take a family hostage whilst on there holiday, forcing them act all happy while being secretly terrified on the inside.

I think it just looks scary, and maybe, just maybe, certain people out there should accept there religion didnt quite have jet skiing in mind when it was conveived and those same certain people should probably just relax a little and understand the impracticalities of certain activities whilst "honoring" there faith.
edit on 1-8-2012 by Murad because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves
Hi and this whole issue has always dumbfounded me...that it is even an issue. Why is it anyone's business what the woman in the OP photos wears? Her body, her religion, her choice. Nothing she chooses to wear should be anyone else's concern. I say leave them alone and accept their beliefs and especially their belief in covering up.

If we can't even stop getting up in arms over something as trivial as the desire of another to cover up, as is their tradition, how could we ever expect peace. If American women want the right to wear a tube top then back off the burka hate. Jeeesh. Let it be.

This is not an issue.

It is when wearing one is NOT the woman's choice.

Why presume that women who are born into this lifestyle eagerly choose to cover themselves to this extreme? Especially when the alternative is having their head chopped off, or if they're lucky, just being disowned by their entire family and forced to make a life on their own elsewhere?
If you read my OP, then you would have seen that I am NOT NEGATING THE ISLAMIC BELIEF FOR WOMEN TO COVER THEMSELVES.

I am asking if the pictures are legitimate and I am also interested for those who agree with women dressing themselves to this extreme to share their insight and opinions as to why they feel this is necessary.

The only person turning this into an "issue" is you, by the tone of judgment you seem insinuate in your post.

edit on 1-8-2012 by stupid girl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Her body, her religion, her choice.

No, No, and No. These women don't have a choice. They are born into their religion with no hope of making up their own mind about their spiritual beliefs. In countries with Sharia law, women have almost no rights.

The woman who defied Saudi's driving ban and put it on YouTube

Growing up in Saudi Arabia, Manal al-Sharif was taught in school that listening to music -- just like driving, showing her face in public or making a decision without consulting her male guardian -- was forbidden and sinful.

They can't leave the country, they can't divorce their abusive husbands, and they can't decide what to wear. I'll come right out and say it-It isn't fair that women are forced to live that way because of the religious insanity they were born into.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Must be photoshopped. The boat would sink with a letterbox that size on the back. Oh, wait...

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I wonder how many women of Islam have drown because they wore a burka during water activities such as this.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Why do you think this could not be possible?
Why do you act as if you JUST NOW know about about Burkas and how Islam is treating women?

I live in Spain, we have a high populace of Muslim here, many from Marocco, Algier etc.

Ok, it's not that EXTREME here as depicted on this image...but i see "normal" muslim woman every day going shopping etc. and THICK clothes, covering up as good as any part of the body.....and this here where it's almost EVERY fricking day 100F (40C) or hotter.

So can i see this legit..in extreme countries like Iran etc....its their frickin religion

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
OMG, you guys have never seen Ninja??

On the serious note, that is just wrong. At least she was able to ride, women in SA are not allowed to operate any kind of vehicles.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This must be the first photograph I've ever seen of a woman in a burka doing something 'fun'. It's quite refreshing.
edit on 1-8-2012 by FOXMULDER147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by stupid girl
reply to post by definity

Yes, I must concur.
To wear something like that in an effort to enjoy water-sport activities is beyond ridiculous.
Surely there could be some sort of compromise in that regard?
And why does it have to be black, of all colors? The hottest color you can wear in the sun?!?
It's a wonder these women don't suffocate from heat exhaustion.

Actually, the burqa isnt really that hot of a garment. I'm not defending its religious use. I'm just pointing out its a very light material, that breathes well, and on a hot summer day is not much different than wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I wear long sleeve shirts on hot days when i work outside, and all the redneck idiots i work with think im crazy. But they get horrible sunburns, and the slightest breeze blows through my light cotton shirt to cool me off quite nicely. The whole sun worshipping skin cancer thing is quite played out in my opinion.

Also, black is not a requirement in many muslim cultures. Women choose a color which suits them.

an interesting thread on the subject: www.reddit.com...
edit on 1-8-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves

This is not an issue.

But it is an issue when people get in trouble when they want to wear other things. In Iran they have to cover their head and because of that some wear minimal things that is allowed but still show as much of their hair as they can (girls in university). There is people who wants it and people who do not want it. Dogma has gone to far when you make people not able to choose themselves how they should live. I would be fine with it if it was a regional thing in Iran where people who wanted to be free from it was allowed to live where they could do as they want and the all burkawearer could live in one part alone with burkawearers. But I am definetly not anti Iran in fact I think US have gone insanly over to the other side while still being hypocritical when it actually show something. The problem is that they are conditioned to belive that this way of dressing have something to do with their honor and not being able to talk to a man except your brother/keeper in a shop is a sign of respect. Lol. Gods gotta laught hard about our stupid ideas on how to please him. Humans are insane with their dogma and duality.
edit on 1-8-2012 by apushforenlightment because: spellchecking

edit on 1-8-2012 by apushforenlightment because: spellchecking

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

So I'm assuming it's a linen or seersucker type material?
The only ones I've ever seen were black, thus my assumption.

I'm also assuming that they don't have humidity issues where they live and also that you do not live in a humid area, because if you tried to wear a long-sleeve shirt in the summer on the Texas Gulf Coast, you'd pass out before you even got to your driveway.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by stupid girl
reply to post by stanguilles7

So I'm assuming it's a linen or seersucker type material?

Yes, that is my general understanding from various reading on the subject.

The only ones I've ever seen were black, thus my assumption.

colored burqas

I'm also assuming that they don't have humidity issues where they live and also that you do not live in a humid area, because if you tried to wear a long-sleeve shirt in the summer on the Texas Gulf Coast, you'd pass out before you even got to your driveway.

I dont live in a humid area now. But I spent more than ten years in the South. I know about humidity. Trust me, a little extra covering doesnt make you any hotter. If its a thin, breathable fabric, it's actually quite refreshing. Thats my own personal experience.

I dont know much about the weather in the mid east. Different muslm regions have varied climates, from dry to humid.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Well, i imagine it can't be very much fun during somertime water activities dressed like this:

It's gotta be hard to have any fun dressed like this, and treading water has got to suck. If you go underwater you might forget which way is up or down.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join