It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Power of War Propaganda on Iran, and How It Works

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

A new poll finds 80% of Americans think Iran has a nuclear weapons program and that it is a threat to the US and its NATO allies. The poll, commissioned by The Israel Project, asked likely voters and found “72% of Democrats, 81% of independents and 89% of Republicans were convinced the Iranians were building nuclear weapons.”

Read this article today about Iran and it's a really good one. I think it deserves a read for anybody who thinks the propaganda campaign is ongoing, and even those who do not.

I'll link the article, at the end, I wanted to point out some specifics. Even though Israel continues to parrot the idea that a Nuclear Programe exists, MANY sources, included the United States claim otherwise.

Contrast these beliefs with the facts: The consensus in the whole of the intelligence community in the US (and Israel) is that Iran has no nuclear weapons program and has yet to demonstrate any intention of starting one anytime soon.

But false beliefs persist even when there has been ample reassurances from elite sources in politics, the military, and the news media that Iran has no weapons program. A matter of months ago, the Obama administration marched out their minions, from Defense Secretary Leon Panetta to Director of National Intelligence James Clapper to Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Martin Dempsey, all of whom reiterated the fact that Iran has no nuclear weapons program, despite constant rhetoric to the contrary.

The overall problem doesn't seem to be that information is false, but people's partisan ideology is used against them.

And when briefly-appearing facts are explained in Washington and the media, it actually doesn’t hold much sway. Back in 2010, Joe Keohane wrote a piece in the Boston Globe about how political science research shows that “facts don’t necessarily have the power to change our minds.” He cited recent studies which found that

when misinformed people, particularly political partisans, were exposed to corrected facts in news stories, they rarely changed their minds. In fact, they often became even more strongly set in their beliefs. Facts, they found, were not curing misinformation. Like an underpowered antibiotic, facts could actually make misinformation even stronger.

This means that no matter what, regardless of facts, you will ALWAYS believe what you were told to believe.

This is indoctrination and normally reserved for things like religion, because you can't prove that God doesn't exist, and you can't prove he does.

However we can and pretty much have, according to the international community of intelligence agencies confirmed that there are no intentions on building a nuclear program for weapons in Iran.

Will the war mongers and their supporters allow this senseless and fear based war to actually occur?

Source of Article

Thoughts ATS?

~Tenth

edit on 8/1/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

That's an interesting read.
This part here caught my eye simply because this IMO describes many here at ATS.

when misinformed people, particularly political partisans, were exposed to corrected facts in news stories, they rarely changed their minds. In fact, they often became even more strongly set in their beliefs. Facts, they found, were not curing misinformation. Like an underpowered antibiotic, facts could actually make misinformation even stronger.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Quite amazing how accurate that article describes some of our more "zealous" members isn't it?

I agree that especially in our current political climate, it's VERY hard to get people to look at facts and apply it to their opinions and beliefs.

This whole war thing however should have greater emphasis placed on it. Were not talking about electing some putz here, we are talking about world war.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Propaganda 1928 by Edward Bernays is must read and its short (170 pages).

Bernays based what we know of as ‘public relations’ off of what he and Walter Lippmann did to sell the United States entry into WWI to the public at large.

Almost all media is a mix of propaganda and logical fallacies.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Well for me the deal with that angle is that I've been hearing about this next World War for decades now. Yes, I'm been around a few. The only thing now is that we have the Internet and that people post their opinions and beliefs whether they are fact based or not and others will assume it's the truth.

Blogs for example are both good and bad considering what it is they are spewing most of the time they spew over the top rhetoric.

But having said that. Even a broken clock is right twice a day

edit on 1-8-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Been waiting for that war?

Me and you both my friend, for a very long time.

I think however, in today's climate, enough extremists are in charge of armies to have it done. It won't be a world war in the traditional sense though, there's no good or evil side this time.

Just a giant 'stick' waiving contest. Not in the name of peace but in the name of imperalism.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Persian Deception Number 1:-

When Iran's leaders proposed building Nuke, they claim it is for generating electricity.

Persian Deception Number 2.

As Iranian Nuke programme got underway, IAEA were not allowed to inspect the sites. Why? Something to hide?

Persian Deception Number 3

Equipment for enrichment of nukes were found being supplied to Iran. Iran denied, but when faced with evidences, they finally admitted to enrichment, but only up to 20%, and not just for generating electricity as claimed.

You still dare trust the words of the Persian leader?

Having NO nuke weapons today DOES NOT mean they do not have the capability to mount a nuke or several nuke bombs at a moment's notice. The parts exists.

Some claimed that Persia launching a nuke weapon is only a hypothetical situation, and the world is running worried for nothing.

But then, Persia NOT launching a nuke weapon is too only another equally hypothetical situation, with a world being apathetic and care- less, until whe a bright flash flares, and it will be too late to do anything....

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Then you contest the opinion of basically the entire intelligence community?

You are willing to start a war with a nation because they "might" be able to produce a nuclear weapon?

China "might" start a trade war with the US at some point, should we drop a nuke on Beijing right now to keep that from happening?

Are you in fact, a supporter of war? If so, the logic eludes me.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

As a moderator yourself, expectations are higher from you.

If you wish to use logic, then I suggest you apply honest logic to your own post. China has NOT threaten to nuke USA the way Persia had threatened to wipe Israelis off the map, with often chants of death to jews and to americans.

There is no need for any war. NO humans except the deranged militants want it.

All that persian apostate leader needs to do is come to the table and agree to a clean inspectiong by the free world through the IAEA whom are trusted to inspect and had inspect worldwide nuke facillities, not only for nuke weapon programmes, but for nuke safety espacially.

Bootlicking that persian apostate is tantamount to encouraging him to stick their middle finger to the world, a world that is VERY concern with nuke energy now, with Fukishima being the latest man made neglect disaster.

Think the root of the problem, and not let your mind be distracted and misled with unproven silly alphabet agencies shennigan conspiracies.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

As a moderator yourself, expectations are higher from yo

Where is the relevancy of this comment? How is my being a moderate have anything to do with our current discussions?

If you wish to use logic, then I suggest you apply honest logic to your own post. China has NOT threaten to nuke USA the way Persia had threatened to wipe Israelis off the map, with often chants of death to jews and to americans.

China has been manipulating it's currency however and slowly building an empire of resources that all economic experts agree, threatens the United States financially. Isn't that good enough for a war?

No?

But there's PROOF they are doing this, as opposed to the lack of proof with Iran, but you're willing to attack them right?

There is no need for any war. NO humans except the deranged militants want it.

Then what reason do you have to support war with Iran?

All that persian apostate leader needs to do is come to the table and agree to a clean inspectiong by the free world through the IAEA whom are trusted to inspect and had inspect worldwide nuke facillities, not only for nuke weapon programmes, but for nuke safety espacially.

Israel should do the same. I don't see any international outcry to have them inspected. And they've threatened to start many conflicts.

Bootlicking that persian apostate is tantamount to encouraging him to stick their middle finger to the world, a world that is VERY concern with nuke energy now, with Fukishima being the latest man made neglect disaster.

What concern? The only nation that has done anything about that to my knowledge is Germany (?). All other nations have either continued their Nuclear Power programs, or increased them.

Think the root of the problem, and not let your mind be distracted and misled with unproven silly alphabet agencies shennigan conspiracies.

The root of the problem is what the article describes. Even in the midst of proper information being given, some people still refuse to change their opinion.

Take a look at which nations do not have a central bank provided by the Global Banking Elite. It's a really short list. Maybe you can find a correlation between current conflicts and those nations...

I guess those several letter agencies are only telling the truth when it suits your particular version of the facts?

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
They should have as much right to nuclear weapons as the people who have used them. End of debate. No use in trying to vilify them. That is a child's game. These are humans involved in an international desire for peace. To try and characterize them as aggressive just reveals the deception of your plan for world domination. If you are not in on the plan, you are a gullible fool.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
China has been manipulating it's currency however and slowly building an empire of resources that all economic experts agree, threatens the United States financially. Isn't that good enough for a war?

No?

No...

The US and Chinese economies are too interwoven

But there's PROOF they are doing this, as opposed to the lack of proof with Iran, but you're willing to attack them right?

Expansion doesn't always mean it will lead to World War. Nor will they lead the world. They have too many people and what China fears most is their growing internal problems as their people finally wake up and realize they can have it better. Right now they are simply a resource for their Government who partners with every Company doing business in China to exploit...

Talk about "Big Brother"

edit on 1-8-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I just use China as a general " this is who is scary" in today's world.

Imperial China is a very scary thought. They will soon have the resources, technological ability and international clout to do much of what the US does now.

When they start building military bases in European and Middle Eastern/African nations, I don't think people will be so non-chalante about it.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

. Even in the midst of proper information being given, some people still refuse to change their opinion.

~Tenth

May you listen to your own advice.

With that, I leave you to your illusions and irrelevant rants, and trust silent readers reading this thread will have the wisdom to discern.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

You can deflect and attack my character all you want.

We all know what it means when somebody gives up a debate and uses ad-hominems as the reason..

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Been waiting for that war?

No...

Been hearing about it. I stopped waiting for the Big one to kick off when the Berlin wall came down

I think however, in today's climate, enough extremists are in charge of armies to have it done. It won't be a world war in the traditional sense though, there's no good or evil side this time.

That always depends on which side ones on.

No?

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

There's only a good or bad side if you choose a side. I sit on the fence and tell both sides they are wrong for ever starting the conflict in the first place.

As for the "big one", that's what I mean, been hearing about it for decades, probably won't occur in my lifetime barring some sort of huge event.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

There's only a good or bad side if you choose a side. I sit on the fence and tell both sides they are wrong for ever starting the conflict in the first place.

I'm not advocating a conflict but sometimes there are good fights. Rightly or wrongly the loser gets demonized and the winner writes the history.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

I'm not advocating a conflict but sometimes there are good fights. Rightly or wrongly the loser gets demonized and the winner writes the history.

Yup, you got me there.

I suppose it'll be up to the ones who were alive during that time to help stem the flow of propaganda

Hopefully that won't be my kids or their kids.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
They should have as much right to nuclear weapons as the people who have used them. End of debate. No use in trying to vilify them. That is a child's game. These are humans involved in an international desire for peace. To try and characterize them as aggressive just reveals the deception of your plan for world domination. If you are not in on the plan, you are a gullible fool.

And there you have it! No, they do not have the right. We don't have the right either but that genie is out.
A theocracy, a radical one at that, with a nuke is unacceptable to any informed person in the world.
It is bad enough Pakistan has them....but I don't hear them talking about bringing in the last Mahdi(sp?)
The Muluha's are modern day Nazi's, KKK, Christian Crusaders, pick a group bent on destruction if given the power to......they aren't about peaceful coexistence or sharing power or getting a better seat at the table...they are about "purification" and wiping out us infidels and jews.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join