It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Early Perseid Meteor Shower (?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Earth is entering a broad stream of debris from Comet Swift-Tuttle, source of the annual Perseid meteor shower. Meteoroids in the outskirts of the stream are now hitting Earth's atmosphere, producing as many as 10-15 meteors per hour according to worldwide counts from the International Meteor Organization.

In the days ahead, Earth will plunge deeper into the meteoroid stream, and meteor rates will increase accordingly. Forecasters expect the shower to peak on August 12-13 with as many as 100+ meteors per hour visible from dark-sky sites.

Source

According to what I can find around the web... the Perseid shower starts around the 23rd of July and Lasts until August 20th... So I dont understand Space Weather claiming this is an early shower... I can understand "early" if it started at the start of July... but It seems right on time from what I can tell...

Anyways Cool... The peak is on the 13th of August... just in time for my 2 year Wedding Anniversary!

Figured I would share... So Star Gazers and Meteor gazers keep them eyes peeled! The Heavens are gonna put on one of its annual shows for us

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I happen to live in an area that lends itself very well to viewing this kind of thing. Looking forward to possibly capturing some photo/video this weekend. If I do I will post it here.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

I live out in the middle of no where so unless its cloudy I get to see em streak actoss the sky.
Its BEAUTIFUL!
But I dont have the gear that will pick em up on "film"

So if ya can capture it, And post it... I will star it faster than I can blink lol

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
It's not an "early Perseid meteor shower".... The piece on Spaceweather.com is about early Perseid meteors, ie those meteors that are arriving "early" or before the peak of the shower.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
i saw a nice one earlier tonight here in wisconsin. looked pretty close too. green and orange and white. was really cool. saw it come down in front of a storm front, about 2 hours ago.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
In all my years I have never seen a meteor shower with my own two eyes. Hopefully my luck will be better this year. Thanks for alerting me OP.

I would love to see other people's pics if they can get them and post them as well!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

wish i had gotten a picture, i was walking onto my balcony to have a smoke and read when i looked up at the storm south of me and saw it.

top topics

join