It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exploding termites! (an even more menacing species)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

When faced with a threat, many termite species employ a type of altruistic suicide known as "autothysis" in order to deter attackers. In a few species, workers join "soldier" termites in the defence of their colony and perform these acts of suicidal defence. However, a twist to this system has been discovered in a species from French Guiana. "My PhD student, Thomas Bourguignon, was studying termite community ecology and collecting species when, casually, he found something really special," Prof Yves Roisin from the Free University of Brussels told BBC News. By rupturing their bodies, Neocapritermes taracua release a toxic chemical that sticks to intruders, holding them fast and corroding their bodies. "[Autothysis] is usually a one component system. The defensive secretions are stored in salivary glands, but in these species there is a 'backpack' with two crystals carried outside the body. When the termite bursts, the two mix together, producing the more toxic compounds," Prof Roisin explained.

source

You thought this was going to be about killer termites created by the nations of the world to usher in the rise of the NWO, didn't you?
No, but this does put a new spin on the old concept of killer termites/ants.

This particular type has two crystals on their back, which increases the effectivness as they age. Talk about throwing grandma under the train!
edit on 31-7-2012 by AnarchysAngel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnarchysAngel

You thought this was going to be about killer termites created by the nations of the world to usher in the rise of the NWO, didn't you?
Nope. Not at all.... But I would love to see a video of this.

They need to evolve so that they can just spit that toxin onto their enemies, without dismembering themselves in the process.

eta: Not too sure about your choice of Forum for this. lol.
Isn't there actual proof that these do in fact exist?

Just doesn't seem much like a 'Mythical Beast'.

edit on 7/31/12 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Yes this is real. It's ATS, even your fantasy topics have to pass as "real". We don't have a zoology forum, so crypto it is!

It reminds me of the old Macgyver episode where he makes an ant suit and saves the world from killer ants. It would be so funny if they did a Macgrubber scene where the ants were actually these termites, and he got glued in place.

Hey Hollywood, steal my idea!
edit on 31-7-2012 by AnarchysAngel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

here it is, but it didn't really explode

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
That's just creepy, OP! Termites invaded a house that I used to own. They're hideous enough without the exploding part. There must have been a colony under my house because I awoke one morning after a really windy night to find my whole white tile kitchen floor littered with what looked like wild rice. Revolting! At the same time, nature is amazing.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
GAH! I CAN'T HOLD IT IN!..... Creeper.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Wow, that some insect jihad stuff going on..... I knew termites could set fires, I seen that happen before when I was a kid. Didn't know they actually blew up though.
edit on Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:45:59 -0500 by TKDRL because: reduntancy

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
There was a thread about this couple days ago with pictures. Interesting stuff.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AnarchysAngel

That's just Crazy! How Totally Fascinating the Natural World is! Another Thread to show just how true "Life is Stranger that Fiction" really is! Thanx for the Share! Later, Syx.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SheldonCooper

Originally posted by SheldonCooper

here it is, but it didn't really explode

Yeah, that was kinda disappointing, but thanks anyways.

Here's that vid embedded.

I do think there may have also been some cannibalism in that vid.

Originally posted by AnarchysAngel

........We don't have a zoology forum, so crypto it is!

Well then, maybe it is time for a 'Zoology Forum'.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by CompisMentis

I did a search before I posted. The newest thing I could find was a year old, and a different species.

Maybe too many exploding termite threads?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Very anticlimactic. I was expecting goo to fly everywhere, and nothing but a head to be left

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Suicide bomber termites?
Wow.

With more and more increasingly strange, yet wonderfully thought provoking discoveries, one can't help but wonder what possibilities might arise if ever we meet an alien species from another planet (not talking about ufo mythology of greys, reptilians, and such).

Very cool topic. Thank you!.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I think Carpenter Ants already do this.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Suicide bomber termites?

I was thinking the same thing.

I guess it's 'instinct' to take out as many as you can even if you die.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
OHMYGOD! BANELINGS ARE REAL!

top topics

join