It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Marriage To Be Officially Part Of Democrat Party Platform

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Gay marriage will become an official Democrat Party Platform.

NY TIMES - Democrats Draft Gay Marriage Platform

Democrats appear ready to embrace same-sex marriage as part of their party platform, a policy shift that reflects an expanded acceptance of gay rights in mainstream politics....

Democratic Party officials had squabbled over the issue in the past. But at a platform-drafting meeting over the weekend in Minneapolis, they approved the first step to amend their platform, placing the amendment on track for adoption. In two weeks, the entire platform committee will vote at a meeting scheduled in Detroit. Then, if approved as expected, it would go before convention delegates in Charlotte, N.C., for final passage in early September.

According to Democrats who were briefed on the vote in Minneapolis, there was no objection when the issue came up. Though the language that was voted on could still be revised, party officials do not anticipate any major obstacles going forward.

UK Guardian - US Democrats To Include Gay Marriage in Official Party Platform

The Democratic Party is moving to include support for gay marriage in the official party policy statement for the first time, a Democratic official said Monday, marking a key milestone for advocates of same-sex unions.

The party's platform drafting committee voted to include language backing gay marriage during a weekend meeting in Minneapolis, the official said.

My thoughts -
- I'm all for legalized gay marriage so this might help in that area.
- This will alienate evangelical black voters away from the democrat party.
- The ranks of 'independent' will grow. I think more people out there follow their own thoughts on issues and don't follow 'Party Platform' anymore.

edit on 7/31/2012 by FlyersFan because: fixed quote

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

- This will alienate evangelical black voters away from the democrat party.

While I believe that to be true, I still find it absurd that black voters would move away from a democrat party because of it's move towards more equal social standards, when the black americans birthed the whole civil rights movement, and I do believe this is about civil rights.

Anyways, good luck with your thread, we both know where it's going.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
There are a lot of gay voters; this platform by the democrats will secure (most likely) the majority of the gay votes.

As we all know...it is a Presidential election year.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
I still find it absurd that black voters would move away from a democrat party because of it's move towards more equal social standards, when the black americans birthed the whole civil rights movement,

Ahhhh ... but it's true.
Black Pastors Lay Down Gauntlet To Obama Over Same Sex Marriage

"More than anything, this is an issue of biblical principles and President Obama is carrying our nation down a dangerous road. Many African Americans were once proud of our president but now many are ashamed of his actions." Owens said the group hasn't received a response from the White House and they are growing frustrated with each passing day.

"We can't compete with the Hollywood folks who are raising the big bucks for the president," Owens said. "But it was black folks who rallied around him in 2008 and for him to ignore our request with a group of clergy who represents tens of thousands of black Christians of many denominations is an insult."

Black evangelical pastors aren't happy with the move toward legalizing gay marriage. It's against their religion. The White House is asking them to ignore it.
Riiiight. Religion trumps skin color and civil rights issues ..

and I do believe this is about civil rights.

Ditto. Me too.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Having it in their party platform and actively campaigning on the issue are two different things.

Parties often hide issues in their platforms. Here in Texas, the Republican party supports banning "no fault" divorces in their platform, but you would never see Republicans campaigning on that issue.
edit on 31-7-2012 by Kaploink because: erm

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I'm pretty sure the democrats had the gay vote anyways. The percentage of gay Americans is only 1-2%, whereas I'm thinking there are more black evangelicals than that. I could be wrong ... but I think the dems just lost more votes than they gained. IMHO. (time will tell).

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink
Having it in their party platform and actively campaigning on the issue are two different things.

I don't know if Obama will campaign on it. I know Biden has said he doesn't support gay marriage. But even if they don't campaign on it, the Democrat Party will be highlighting this new Party Platform at the convention. So Obama can't run away from it. It'll be 'in your face' ....

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Gay marriage will become an official Democrat Party Platform.

I was under the impression that it was always under it. Nice to know that they have "officialized" it, I guess.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

More and more voters are renouncing tradional party membership in favor of independant candidates or platforms anyway.

Both platforms for the GOP and DEM's is in need of a serious overhaul in all directions. Adding a honey pot issue like "gay marriage" ( an insane term in itself) isn't erally going to do them any favors.

It shows how willing to they are to pander to the minority that currently has the most spot light. These are just the opening signs of a crumbling political system.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

While I believe that to be true, I still find it absurd that black voters would move away from a democrat party because of it's move towards more equal social standards, when the black americans birthed the whole civil rights movement, and I do believe this is about civil rights.

Hahahaha. That's the nature of stupidity.

Republicans passed the Civil Rights acts while the Democrats had the "Klanbake Konvention" then all the blacks (as if by order) begin voting Democrat, then the Republicans take a decided turn against liberty in favor of religious mumbo-jumbo and the Democrats turn hard toward liberty (sort of because they strip plenty of liberty elsewhere) in favor of gay marriage (again sort-of) so all the free blacks run away.

It's like Hispanic men not considering themselves gay as long as they are on the pitching end because only catchers are gay.

It's a sick mind that will bash a homosexual then go home and have anal sex with another man but that pretty much sums up politics in general.

Everyone is an idiot everywhere.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

It shows how willing to they are to pander to the minority that currently has the most spot light. These are just the opening signs of a crumbling political system.

Fair enough.

So, answer me this. If people(gay people, in this case) didn't get the "spotlight" how would they ever gain support for their cause? And if politicians didn't take notice, how would anything ever change?

Also, you mention the base for this cause are a "minority". What do you mean by that? 40%-50%? 30-70%?
edit on 31-7-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I opened another thread about a colorado bakery refusing to serve a gay couple soon to be married
Amazingly how the news pops up in the MSM. Gays have been around for as long as the hetrosexuals have been but with choice of voters dwindling down, ofcourse LGBT rights group are making a significant impact in the percentage of votes. Truely signs of political system failure/cracks. Its like holding someone at ransome to get the work done. But then again, its politics

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Black evangelical pastors aren't happy with the move toward legalizing gay marriage. It's against their religion. The White House is asking them to ignore it.
Riiiight. Religion trumps skin color and civil rights issues ..

Pretty damned hypocritical in reflection of Civil Rights - - IMO

Many claim it is not the same thing. It sure as hell is.

At least the NAACP thinks so.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
reply to post by caladonea

I'm pretty sure the democrats had the gay vote anyways. The percentage of gay Americans is only 1-2%, whereas I'm thinking there are more black evangelicals than that. I could be wrong ... but I think the dems just lost more votes than they gained. IMHO. (time will tell).

The percentage of gay Americans is about 10% not 1-2% (even though I know in recent years some have tried to push the lower percentage).

Civil Rights was not fought and past by blacks alone.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Fair enough.

So, answer me this. If people(gay people, in this case) didn't get the "spotlight" how would they ever gain support for their cause? And if politicians didn't take notice, how would anything ever change?

Also, you mention the base for this cause are a "minority". What do you mean by that? 40%-50%? 30-70%?
edit on 31-7-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

The gay community needs to address the courts regarding this. Public support isn't necessary in a debate regarding discrimination of rights rights provided to some but not others.

In a republic, the opinion of the majority is inconsequential to the over all goals of any minority who isn't being treated fairly under the law.

And by minority I mean less than 10% of the population. " Special Interest" minorities.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Both platforms for the GOP and DEM's is in need of a serious overhaul in all directions. Adding a honey pot issue like "gay marriage" ( an insane term in itself) isn't erally going to do them any favors.

~Tenth

I don't look at it that way.

I consider it an Equal Rights issue. And I support that every American should support Equal Rights.

Supporting religious ideology in a secular government over Equal Rights is extremely wrong from my perspective.

It is the last of the major discriminations of a country built on Freedom and Equality.

It's insulting that it even needs to be part of a political platform. Therefore - - I applaud Democrats for making it an official part of their platform

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Anne, it seems like you had only joined ATS so you could only support gays and lesbians...

edit on 31-7-2012 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I think my point was lost in translation.

It doesn't matter that they put it on their platform. The democrats don't care about gay marriage, they don't care about right inequality or equality.

They just want to get elected again.

It's pandering to the vocal minority of the day. Just smoke and mirrors.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by Annee

I think my point was lost in translation.

It doesn't matter that they put it on their platform. The democrats don't care about gay marriage, they don't care about right inequality or equality.

They just want to get elected again.

It's pandering to the vocal minority of the day. Just smoke and mirrors.

~Tenth

NO - nothing was lost in translation.

Politics is Politics. The Republicans use Christianity.

And basically it is only your opinion that democrats don't care. I'm sure some do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW - - I am not a Democrat and never have been.

Until 2 months ago I was still a registered Republican. I am now unaffiliated.

edit on 31-7-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Call me stupid, but wouldn't a party platform based on the economy, unemployment, ending wars be a better thing to promote?

Oh wait, the dems failed on those. . . . .

. . . . . . so gay marriage is the best they got?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join