learn more

Gay Marriage To Be Officially Part Of Democrat Party Platform

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarky412

Politicians are a slimy breed.....repub. & dems alike.

So do you vote? Have you ever voted for a particular party or candidate?

What's that say about voters that vote for the "slimy breeders"?
edit on 31-7-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
One party fights for equal rights for all, the other doesn't.

One party wishes to see certain minorities rights limited and certain religious groups limited in what rights they have. Yet they claim to be constitutionalists and Good Americans.

One party wishes to legislate what you do in the bed room yet claims to want smaller less intrusive government.

I think the majority of Americans support gay rights, and I think they will win there rights nationwide.
edit on 31-7-2012 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
The percentage of gay Americans is about 10% not 1-2% (even though I know in recent years some have tried to push the lower percentage).

ABC News - Gay/Bisexual/Transgender Population.

An estimated 9 million Americans -- or nearly 4 percent of the total population -- say they identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender, according to a new report released this week from the Williams Institute, a think-tank devoted to LGBT research at UCLA.

Bisexuals make up slightly more than half that group, 1.8 percent of the total U.S. population, and they are substantially more likely to be women than men.

The report is the most up-to-date assessment of that population and produced a lower population percentage than the 10 percent number that advocacy groups have used in the past, which was based on Alfred Kinsey studies from 1948.

The most recent studies have the gay population at 1-2% ...
the transexual and bisexual are at 2%. Together, it comes to 4%

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by Annee

Nopes not at all.

You know me Annee and you know for YEARS I've stated that the DNC and GOP are just the sape side of that coin.

Yes - - and have great respect for you.

But - - not acknowledging Dems supporting Equality in Gay Rights is the same as Reps pushing Christianity - - - I have a problem with.

Its an election year. Simple.

And I agree with and support the message.

As a famous black woman once responded - - when confronted with facts about Lincoln. "I'll take the baby steps".

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

The most recent studies have the gay population at 1-2% ...
the transexual and bisexual are at 2%. Together, it comes to 4%

Not true.

I know where those percentages come from - - - and they are excerpts from a much larger report.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I found that the average across all surveys is 3.8 percent of adults self-identifying as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender.

Source used in article

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by Annee

I found that the average across all surveys is 3.8 percent of adults self-identifying as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender.

Source used in article

The 3% comes from those who IDENTIFY as gay. In other words - - if you stood on a street corner and asked every man that past you if he was gay - - you'd get about 3%

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Does it matter how many make up this minority? If there are fewer does it make it ok to limit there rights based on religious beliefs of the majority?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Their under lying agenda is VOTES........

Uhhhh Duh!

Seriously - - do you know how stupid that sounds?

*sigh*

I knew you couldn't resist. And that comment wasn't even for you. Man you're quick to jump on some one when it comes to this topic.

You're the one harping about equal rights and act like you are blind to the democrats ulterior motive. That's what tothetenthpower is trying to say. And yet you act like you don't care what they say or do during election year as long as it helps your special interest groups.

Me, I'm all for equality, just not political games to benefit them during election year.

I'm sorry we don't feel as passionate about this as you do, but that's what the dems are focusing on, people like you who do feel that passionately about this topic.

You really do need to take a course in mannerism. You attack any one who doesn't see things in the same light as you. Border line bullying IMO.

Sorry you think that their ulterior motive for getting votes is stupid [in your eyes]...... but it's the damn truth.
And it's a sad & dirty trick in my book.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I knew you couldn't resist. And that comment wasn't even for you. Man you're quick to jump on some one when it comes to this topic.

Well - come on.

I rarely participate in political discussion. I never discuss my own political beliefs on ATS.

My #1 focus is Equal Rights - - - and Gay Rights is really the last major discimination of a minority.

Rants about "your" opposition party pandering for votes? Its stupid. As you said - - its an election year - - Politics is Politics.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Trying to guestimate closeted LGBT is as useful as trying to guestimate illegal immigrants. So sticking with what is known is a nobrainer, guessing is not scientific in any form.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

It is the same thing during an election yearyou're right about htat.

And it's great that you support the message, so do I, the problem is, that the message is fake. It's doublethink. A fake promise that's really just going to become a DNC talking point.

Which they will use against the Republicans. As the republicans will use whatever other promise they've made up for their side of things.

So I may support the message of equality, but I wont' support this group for making that assertion when I know it's not being done from their hearts or willingness to actually address the issue overall.

It's just political football, and toying with people's emotions, and issues they care deeply about, for the sake of getting votes in November, is wrong.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by Annee

Trying to guestimate closeted LGBT is as useful as trying to guestimate illegal immigrants. So sticking with what is known is a nobrainer, guessing is not scientific in any form.

Gay rights is my #1 focus. I'm been involved for 20+ years. I read everything to keep up.

I know about the 3% - - identify as gay. It is one area of a larger report. Those who want to downplay gays - - pluck that particular part of the report out - - and ignore the rest.

Somewhere in the full report it says it might be as high as 11%.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I know where those percentages come from - - - and they are excerpts from a much larger report.

here is the report PDF
There is no way anyone can come up with 10% after reading that report. that's just interjecting something that isn't there. The bottom line .. if it's 1-2% like the recent study says, or 10% like others claim, it's still a civil rights issue.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

the problem is, that the message is fake.

You are stating as fact something you can't possible know.

It is your opinion.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

here is the report PDF
There is no way anyone can come up with 10% after reading that report. that's just interjecting something that isn't there. The bottom line .. if it's 1-2% like the recent study says, or 10% like others claim, it's still a civil rights issue.

And there's no bias from a Catholic University.

Believe whatever you want. Its off topic anyway.

A very "selective" report. I've said before - - you can always find someone on the Net to support what you want to believe.

In a recent study, Gates estimated that the self-identified lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community makes up 3.8 percent of the American population. The estimate was far lower than many scholars and activists had contended, and it included a relatively high proportion of persons self-identifying as bisexuals. This article responds to two of the central criticisms that arose in the controversy that followed. williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu...

edit on 31-7-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
If people were really all about equality, they would be fighting against legal marriage for everyone, not trying to get another group in on the perks. There is no valid reason for a person to get any special treatment over a single person, just because they are married.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I agree with you. Totally.

It is your opinion..

Isn't that what you are doing by claiming that 10% of the population is gay?
The study has it at 1-2%. You folks are just adding a guestimate on to the study.
A guestimate that is clouded by bias.

It's still a civil rights issue ... 1-2% or 10% of the population .. doesn't matter in that regard.
Civil rights is civil rights ... for one person or a million ...

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

Politicians are a slimy breed.....repub. & dems alike.

So do you vote? Have you ever voted for a particular party or candidate?

What's that say about voters that vote for the "slimy breeders"?
edit on 31-7-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

I'm talking about the dirty tactics they use to get votes. They've always been that way, always will. Not the voters themselves.

I'm independent but in 2008 I voted for Obummer based on his bogus "Hope & Change" platform. Boy was I disappointed big time. Yet, I didn't want any more Bush which I felt we would have had with McCain.

This year, I am at a loss..... I don't think our country can handle 4 more years of this current admin., with their reckless spending. But I'm not familiar much about Romney. Ron Paul????

Still undecided........

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

It is your opinion.

Opinion based on 30+ years of looking at how election cycles work and what gets fufilled and what doesn't.

You can't honestly tell me, that you believe that democrats actually care about this issue can you Annee? That's like the GOP stating they wanna bring the troops home. Sure they kinda do, but they'll never do it.

Not because it would be good or bad for the country, but because it would be difficult politically.

Be honest, is this just because it's a + for you and your movement? I know you've been involved a long time and you've been a great supporter of the movements. Hell more so than I've been and I'm gay for god sakes.

But at the end of the day we have to choose who we support, not by what they say, but how they act. And democrats have NOT, I repeat HAVE NOT, made the appropriate steps or decisions to push for those rights to be afforded to all Americans.

If they did, there would be lawsuits filed before the Supreme Court and in each and every state, sponsored and supported by ALL democratic candidates and currently elected members.

I don't disagree it's a good message, I don't disagree it's high time that parties make equal rights a main focus of their platforms, but I won't believe them, until they actually pursue this kind of thing.

Right now it's all talk. And I've heard all the talk I'm willing to hear. I want action.

~Tenth

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join