It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The scale of Phobos:If it was to Crash into Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Amazing image showing Mars's moon Phobos looming over city created to show scale of solar system

Mars largest Moon and the French town of Grenoble to scale
If you look carefully at the centre of the image you can see two helicopters its hard to make out but i think they are the two white dots under the dark crater

So, here is Phobos standing over my town Grenoble in the Alpes (eastern France). Phobos' dimensions are 26,8 x 18,4 km. If you carefully look at the center of the picture, you'll see 2 helicopters, still quite far from the "big rock".

davinci-marsdesign.blogspot.fr...
Bigger image you can see the helicopters more clearly
www.dailymail.co.uk...
Photoshop is great

Cran

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
That's gonna leave mark.
Isn't Superman there? Catching it?

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Would that be a MEV? Or just kill alot on that particular continent?

I wonder how many megatons of explosive energy would be released by that impact? But would need to know impact veleocity.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Lets hope that such events remain in the world of Science Fiction. This Nibiru hype is bad enough...

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AaronWilson

I wonder how many megatons of explosive energy would be released by that impact

I think you've moved into the realm of teratons.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by AaronWilson
Would that be a MEV? Or just kill alot on that particular continent?

I wonder how many megatons of explosive energy would be released by that impact? But would need to know impact veleocity.

No it would be an Extinction Level Event or ELE no matter what the impact velocity was but it is almost impossible that it will ever happen

Cran

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by cranspace
If you look carefully at the centre of the image you can see two helicopters its hard to make out but i think they are the two white dots under the dark crater

Here you go.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Here is a loosely related site. It shows famous scifi and some real ships and Phobos to scale.
You can even drag the objects around for closer comparisons.

Linky

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Just for you Phage

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Well OP, if there is a contest for really scary ATS graphics of 2012, I'm putting yours in myself. It deserves at least honorable mention if it wouldn't place.

So that's what the last 1/2 second would look like...Ahhh.. Sweet Dreams for the imaginative!

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Not likely that it would be Phobos, but then again, if we think far enough into the future--it could be.
There is evidence that Phobos was moved into its tight, virtually perfect orbit around Mars. The evidence being that orbit itself because it has beens said by some astrophysicists that it could not have obtained that orbit naturally.

Moving large natural satellites into close positions is hardly a pipe dream. The process is fully understoodd but simply not possible with current technology. At the current time we are mostly concerned about developing ways to move approaching asteroids away from close passage to earth. But the step after than will be to control them enough to move them in as substantial bases and as raw materials.

The late astronomer Tom van Flandern offered the possibility that the deep scar on Mars' equatorial zone, Valles Marineris canyon was possibly caused by an asteroid and may have been what virtually killed that planet.

So, perhaps, as wild as it sounds, in a couple of hundred years we will be able to capture an asteroid, even Phobos from its home around Mars and bring it to Earth. And that would allow the situation for a very serious accident, exactly as van Flandern suggested happened on Mars.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by AaronWilson

I wonder how many megatons of explosive energy would be released by that impact

I think you've moved into the realm of teratons.

Using the Purdue Earth Impact Effects Program it is actually in the realm of Petatons!

Projectile diameter: 22.20 km ( = 13.80 miles )
Projectile Density: 1876 kg/m3
Impact Velocity: 24.00 km per second ( = 14.90 miles per second )
Impact Angle: 45 degrees
Target Density: 2500 kg/m3
Target Type: Sedimentary Rock
Energy:

Energy before atmospheric entry: 3.10 x 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Joules = 7.39 x 1,000,000,000 MegaTons TNT

The average interval between impacts of this size somewhere on Earth during the last 4 billion years is 7.4 x 1,000,000,000years

edit on 30-7-2012 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

And that would allow the situation for a very serious accident

But they will still do it

Cran

new topics

top topics

join