It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Hamburger Ideas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Some of you may know that I recently took a job as chief cook and bottle washer at a homeless shelter. I like the job and the people aren't hard at all to get along with. After going through the storeroom and freezers, I've come to the conclusion that they'll be eating a lot of hamburger.

So far, I've done pretty good at keeping the menu varied. Over the last two weeks ( as far as hamburger meals], we've had sloppy joes, meatloaf, spaghetti, tacos, hamburger and noodles in gravy and hamburger with rice but I would like some new ideas.

Keep in mind I'm cooking for 20 to 25 people at a time and have 3 hours to have it ready., so I would like something not real intricate, if you know what I mean. Oven baked stuff would be good. I have a six burner stove with a small grill and two ovens. There are no dietary restrictions such as low salt or low fat, for instance, but I do drain excess grease and try to keep salt to a reasonable level.

Any ideas you might have for beef, pork or fish would be good, too. I know there have been some awesome recipes on here and I'm sure there are some members that have done institutional cooking before.

Thank you in advance to anyone that replies.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Ill tell you my secret, cut the meat.

I use bread crumbs, usually the Italian kind, usually comes in a can, but you could always make your own.

It makes the meat go further and adds flavor to it as well.

Ive done it for years to make the meat go farther and add flavor.

basic recipe

2lbs meat, 1 can Italian bread crumbs, half a cup of A1, and 1-2 eggs depending on constancy, combine all.

You can bake it, wrap a tray in foil, spray with something to prevent sticking, cover with foil once patty are there.

Broil for like 25 minutes at like 375, juicy and good.
edit on 30-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes (very easy and filling), beef and noodle soup.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
levi roots reggae reggae sauce as a marinade on burgers (awesome)

for cheese burgers try stay away from cheddar
usually the cheap american style cheese works best (is soft and sticky when melted)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

That sounds pretty good. Thank you, I'll keep that one in mind.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

That sounds interesting and wouldn't take a lot of prep.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

Bake some potatoes first.

Fry crumbled hamburger with green, yellow, red peppers; onions and garlic; salt and pepper to taste.

Then split open the potatoes; spoon the mixture and each half; top with grated cheese; put in oven long enough for the cheese to melt and serve.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Insearchofthetruth1987

I have no idea what levi roots or reggae sauce are. Could you fill me in?

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I am guessing but what you mean by hamburger is ground beef.

You could make a meatloaf, stuffed bell peppers, Nachos, burrito casserole, quesadillas

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

That sounds really great. Should I scoop out the potatoes? I could always use the scoopings for mashed potatoes later.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Sloppy joes, cheeseburger pockets, beef pot pie.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
reply to post by caladonea

That sounds really great. Should I scoop out the potatoes? I could always use the scoopings for mashed potatoes later.

Opps!....I forgot that step! I am glad you asked....

Yes....do some scooping!

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Vodo34861

Yes, ground beef in varying %lean grades. Stuffed peppers sounds good. I can talk to our procurement person and see if he can get hold of some peppers. I have plenty of rice, too.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

A pot pie is a great idea. Makes me think maybe a Shepherd's Pie some time.

In fact, I just did a quick google search and saw a 30 minute Shepherd's Pie from Rachel Ray.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vodo34861
I am guessing but what you mean by hamburger is ground beef.

You could make a meatloaf, stuffed bell peppers, Nachos, burrito casserole, quesadillas

Yeah ... I would run through all the mexican standards taco (youve already done), burritos, quesdillas and nachos are all pretty easy to do in large quantities.

I really like the stuffed pepper idea too if you can get your hands on some cheap peppers.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

I am thinking casserole! Use the burger and make a bechamel with mushrooms or whatever you may have available. Then shred some potato and get a crust on it on a grill them make like a mock shepards pie. You can add veggies to the hamburger sauce mixture depending on what you have available....Hope it helps!

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Thank you so much, everyone. You folks have given me some wonderful inspirations.

Now, I'm off to do some research on these great ideas you have given me.

I'll be back later to see what other wonderful ideas come up.

Thank you again. ATS is the best!

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

That sounds excellent! Thank you!

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
You may not be able to buy hamburger helper but you can make it. I am sure their are some simple home made hamburger helper recipe like beef stroganoff and mac and cheese. I know its not winter but you could make some chilli.
If I wear you I would chose the most nutritious recipe's. Think about their health and what they need to make it threw their day. Carbs are a good idea because they are generally cheap and it gives them long lasting energy.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Ground beef made into patties, add your spice I use pepper and salt a bit of garlic and onion powder.

Cook these I use a stove top but you could easily do it in an oven.

Drain fat.

Then add cans of tomato soup(undiluted) and canned peas with the water.

Add more pepper.. cook a bit more to heat it up.

And that's it!

I serve it with mashed potatoes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join