It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bicycle's & Narrow ,Curvy Country Roads.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Hello All. This rant is long in coming. I live in central N.C. out in the country. Away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Quiet, serene, beautiful. Winding country roads with blind curves and siteless hills. One particular road is N.C 150. It's a two lane road that runs the length of the state east to west. Used to be THE ROAD until the super highways were built. One dubious honer this road has is more people are killed in car accidents on this road than any other road in the state.

So now & again I'll drive this road for awhile just for the scenery. The old farms & old buildings, the extremley small towns along it's route. That is until you top a blind hill doing the posted speed of 55mph & there's 25 to 30 bike-tards in the damn road going 15mph, all from the city, ever tried to get around them? They get all pissy when you honk or finger slaute their exercise efforts. Why do you all use the roadway? It's the most dangerous road in N.C. for cars and you all make it much worse ( every damn weekend), with your bikes & the sheer amount of how many of you it is. There's a park in town with a damn bike path that goes all the way around it. Go there. No cars. No drivers. No one to run you over because your on a damn state road that's narrow and it kills.

No cars alllowed in the park. None of you live out here in the country. So stay in the city, it' safer for you & safer for ME. To the little group I encountered yesterday. One day one of you will get hit by a car or truck. You pay no insurance for the bike. You can't do the posted speed. So why do you ride out here and up the danger of this road? I'm being nice here, you should have been with me yesterday. I was behind these bike-tards for about 30 minutes as they just slowly pedaled their asre's off. Then when I get my chance to pass, low & behold they swerve right into my path, as I ran off the other side of the road and into the ditch, back onto the road and got stopped. I was not happy, several vile words erupted from within me. All the while I'm being screamed at by these bike-tards. Their finger saluting me and shouting. When I'm the one that allmost wrecked my truck because of them. Go figure.

I went on about my ride. About two miles up the road at a town called Brown Summitt I was stopped by a train. As I sit and wait for the train to pass, just who rides up behind me? Yea, the bike-tards. It was'nt over yet. They all start going around me & the cars in front of me as so they can be first when the train passed. Oh hell no! They all get right up in front of the very first car, Here's where I have laughed my asre off since. That first car was a un-marked sheriff;s car. AS the train passed, he hit his blue-light and siren and pulled the bike-tards off the road and keep them there until each & every car had passed that crossing.HA HA.

So I emplore you bike-tards, find another road, bike at the park. Because one of these days that weekend ride will end in a tragic accident. When a car ot truck tops a hill or rounds a curve at the posted speed and there' 30 bike-tards in the road and he can't stop ar navigate the situation and wipes you all out, or they swerve and hit another car or tree, when there a loss of life you bike-tards will probally still not get the warning and the BIG PICTURE. Your weekend ride is a danger to not just you but me and evryone else who use the roadway.

So ride in the parks, or the area schools ( track fields). No cars, no trucks, no danger of getting hit. Or causing me or others to crash their vehicles..If you all keep using this dangerous road, it will at some point end in a tragic accident. And to the one who called me an a--hole. Dude, your the one wearing skin tight spandex and shave your legs. Lance Armstrong you aint. End of rant.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Ha!

I nearly got killed about 3 weeks ago when riding a mountain bike to a shopping centre about 3 miles away from where i live, I only had to pick up a phone, so thought why not.

Whilst about to head back home, I bumbed into a friend on her lunch break in the area, I told her i was riding back, and she pointed a little winding country lane, heading down hill and told me that would cut a mile off my ride.

So I took it.

I could see it was one way....................

But she failed to tell me what way!! LOL

i was zooming down this slim road, turning a bend when I just saw a car speedding round the bend coming toward me!

I skidded up the side of the embankment missing the car by a hair of an inch!

Boy, that would have been messy! aha.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Wow, Calling people who ride bikes "tards" isn't going to win you any battles. There are plenty of bad drivers too. Drivers who don't know to drive carefully in areas where bikes are commonly known to be exercising their legal right to use the road.

Perhaps you should be lobbying for two roads in the area so bicyclists can safely reach their destination without risking incidents with unsafe drivers who refuse to drive below the posted speed limit in high bike traffic areas.

By the way, I missed when they announced that the world was now owned by discriminatory drivers.
edit on 30-7-2012 by dainoyfb because: of typos.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

The world sure as hell aint owned by bike-tards. I pay for insurance on my vehicle. Bikes don't have too. Plenty of other places for the bike-tards to ride. I could care less if they want to risk their lives, just don't put mine in your equasion. May be ride in small groups of two or three not 25 or 30, why not have one lag way behind with a warning sign that reads.( Please slow down as to not run over the mass of bike-tards that's about two blocks up the road.) Or better yet, stay in the damn city, stay off such a dangerous roadway. Even better, a stationary bike, cool ac, t.v. radio, all in the safety of your den.

If one can't see this is a danger, then "tard" would be the word to use and just leave bike out of it.
edit on 30-7-2012 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I should have know better than to engage in a debate with someone with your kind of problems.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

As someone who rides bikes for various reasons, I find your use of "bike-tards" highly offensive.

I hope you're aware that bikes are considered vehicles in the US and are entitled to the same rights as motor-vehicles in most areas. There are exceptions, but in areas like you're speaking of the bikes are entitled to their own use of the roads.

If you have a complaint about them and their actions, why not take it up with local authorities? Bikes are held to the same standards of safe vehicular operation as your truck. If they're not operating in a safe manner, report them. There's no need to come on to an internet forum and bash bike riders as a whole for your experiences.

I've been the sweep vehicle for bike rides before and I have seen how frustrated and filled with anger people get while stuck behind large groups of bike riders. I've seen them get so angry they've sped around blind curves and nearly have head-on collisions. The easiest way to avoid all of the hassle is to find an alternate route if one is available, or leave in time to accomodate the potential delays caused by these folks.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Slow down, lead foot, you're in a car - you're going to get there, and probably a lot faster than anybody on a bike. You ever stop and think about how the air would smell if everyone rode a bike instead of shoveling their giant posteriors into a dirty loud stinking motor vehicle? Or how much better your body would look? Ah, but you do not strive to achieve excellence in all aspects of your life, as evinced by your original post.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Oh come on, hardly fair

So you have more right to see the country side because you have a car ?
Your probably going on 150 BHP getting 25 mpg
These folks are on one person power and not spewing pollution into the countryside you seem to enjoy so much

The speed limit is just that A LIMIT - not a TARGET, if you lack the common sense to drive your vehicle suitable to the road conditions and users, that's your failings

I live in a similar area
But I respect cyclists - they are enjoying their country and it's sights by use of their own effort, and maintaining their physical fitness

Perhaps these people that live in the villages YOU drive through ( yet dont live in ) are fed up with outsiders with their noisy gas guzzlers taking up their roads !

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

Yea there considered vehicles. Ones that can't do the posted speed limit. Ones where if there's an accident involving the bike-tard. Who's insurance do I sue? The one they carry on the bike? No. Because there isnt any on the damn bike. Do these bike-tards ride them to work? NO. do they ride them to the store for groceries? NO.

You want exercise do it at your on risk. Don't come out to where I live and ride and make me part of the risk. I suppose when the bike -tards ride 25 and 30 in mass amd take the whole road way up. That's following the traffic laws? Get real. When a car or truck or farm tractor plows thru a group like their tall grass in the field and a few get mamed up or possible killed, it will be the fault of who? Certainly not the bike-tards that caused it. It's a hazard, a risk, a dangerous situation. For both the bike-tards and the drivers of cars & trucks that pay insurance to be on that damn road.

I have a way to deal with you bike-tards nows. Next group I see, I want pass them. I'm gonna stay behind them for as long as I can, with a video camera to show just what a damn danger they are. And I got to ask, because it seems bike-tards are all that is going to respond. Do you all think you look good in those spandex bike-tard suits?

You all look like......BIKE-TARDS. If I hurt any ones feelings because I use the name bike-tard. I could really care less. You all not seeing it as a danger shows your mentality. TARDED.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure cycles were on the road long before cars and the internal combustion engine, pretty sure they'll be using em after too, so with a slight spin on logic
YOUR THE VISITOR ON THE ROADS, a temporary technologically dependent visitor

How do you feel about horse riders ?

But I must admit I like your avatar, maybe you should try reading it

Cartard !

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Neocrusader

My avatar has zero to do with cyclist's putting me in danger on a country road. And trust me, Ive read it. I have yet to encounter a hugh throng of horse riders blocking the roadway. And horse riders are smart enough to keep it in the pasture, or riding corral. Hey that's the answer here!!!! We need a bike-tard corral for all the bike-tards to ride in. It's safe for all. A matter of time before there's a really bad accident involving bike-tards and winding, hilly, blind curve coutry roads. And for the record And none of you understood it. Bike -Tard is the word my wife & I came up with because of the spandex bike suits.....Looks like leotards. And you bike-tards thought I was talking about your mental capacity.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Regardless of the speed limit you, as a driver, are required to be prepared to meet slower traffic that you have to yield to. Speed limit is the max allowable speed, but you as a driver are required to adjust your speed to the conditions. Just because it says you can 55, it doesn't mean if someone's keep you from doing that they are doing you an injustice.

Cyclists are required by law to use the road, and follow the same rules you do. Not sure about where you are, but in Cali cyclists are allowed full use of the lane.

The road doesn't belong to you . You have no argument. Just another car owner who thinks they own the road. You are a menace to cyclists and pedestrians. Go cycling for a while, and see it from the other perspective.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by openyourmind1262
My avatar has zero to do with cyclist's putting me in danger on a country road

Putting you in danger, that's hilarious.

Maybe if when you got in your car you realised the fact that maybe there are other users on the road you have to yield to?

You put yourself, and others, in danger by your attitude to those other road users.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
lol well said op, i hate bike-tards too.

i hate horse riders and joggers too. well not that i hate them, but they should indeed stay off the damn road.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa

i hate horse riders and joggers too. well not that i hate them, but they should indeed stay off the damn road.

I am sure bike riders hate you with more venom than you could ever muster.

Why do car drivers think the road is all theirs?

You pay for the privilege of driving, you don't pay to have the road all to yourself.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

edit on 30-7-2012 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

i'm in a big metal box doing 60mph, its nothing to do with arrogance and 'owning' the road.
car v's bike, guess who win's?

Yeah doing 60mph, and not expecting to have to slow down for someone else, that is the problem. It has nothing to do with winning or losing, it's your attitude toward other road users.

You have no excuse, you should always be prepared to slow or stop, if you can't then it's a problem with your driving.

The speed limit, like another poster said is not a target, it is a recommendation when it is safe to do so.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimosa

Finally some one with some sense. I have no problem with a man/woman on a bike riding in the country. I have a problem with 25 or 30 riding in the country, taking up the entire lane 4 or 5 abreast, daring you to honk or pass. Wearing their little bike-tard suits. Saluting you with the finger as you pass. Slower traffic keep to the right, that's a premise bike-tards don't understand.

I'm fully aware it's on me as a car driver, but if these bike tards continue to do as they are, then it will be on them.......all 2900 lbs of it. In the form of a Ford f150. Ride single file, as far to the right as possible. Not, IM A BIKE_TARD WE HAVE THE WHOLE LANE.

And for the other poster who laughed when I said the bike-tards put me at risk. Did you not read the part where I said I ran off the road into the ditch when a bike-tard pulled right in front of me as I was passing them. It was done on purpose and with intent. When the bike-tards respect the fact my damn truck will squash their arse if I happen to be the un-lucky driver that take some of them out. Then and only then will I relent on some bike=-tards riding in masse on the most dangerous road in N.C.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

When I run, I run off the road on the grass, because it makes sense. But when I am on a road bike, I am on the road- it's what the law dictates. I cannot at my age legally ride a bike on the sidewalk, even if we had sidewalks here.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

All I can say is, enjoy your stay "uptown" for vehicular manslaughter.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join