It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here’s The Opening Ceremony Tribute To Terrorism Victims NBC Doesn’t Want You To See

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
As I'm sure most of you know, in London on July 7th, 2005, there was a terrorist attack that took the lives of 52 people. During the opening ceremony of the Olympics in London, there was a tribute that was aimed at these victims and also the victims of war.

From Olympic announcement:

Ladies and gentlemen, please pause silent for our memorial wall for friends and family who can't be here tonight. The excitement of that moment in Singapore seven years ago when England won the games was tempered the next day with sorrow from the events of July 7th that year. A wall of remembrance for those no longer here to share in this event.

However, most Americans did not see this. Why? Because NBC omitted it. What did they omit it for? A Ryan Seacrest interview with Michael Phelps..

Okay, sure, the terrorist attacks were not against the U.S. and so you could say that it doesn't involve us, but that does not mean Americans were not effected by it. From what I've read, Canadian television did not cut-out this memorial. In fact, I'm confident to say that American television was probably one of the only or THE only one to do this.

Why exactly would NBC do this? Well, I'm sure we could conjure up plenty of diabolical conspiracy theories, but ultimately it probably just has to do with viewings and money. I'm sure they figured that many Americans would be much happier seeing two celebrities talk to one another on screen rather than give a respectful nod to people who lost their lives for unjust reasons, and honestly... they are probably right.

Still, being right doesn't mean their actions are any less despicable.

If you would like to watch the ceremonial tribute and read the article that discusses this further, see here.

What are your thoughts?
edit on 29-7-2012 by ErroneousDylan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ErroneousDylan

Maybe they don't want American's to research it, as they'll quickly find documentaries that conclusively prove that 7/7, like 9/11, was an inside job

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Reply to post by ErroneousDylan

That is weird. I doubt they left it out because it was not relevant to us though, I mean they left in the tribute to the people who lost their lives in the war to end all wars.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

Yeah, it's not too cool.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Wow that's awful. USA TV sucks. They should have shown it. It is a lot more meaningful and relevant than an interview with Micheal Phelps...

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I had thought this was the 7/7 victims but I honestly wasn't sure. If they said it, I missed it and I think they may have assumed it went without saying. Of course, in England, I'm sure it did. I watched the Live web stream, not the American replay of recordings so I did see it and it was moving. I think they handled it well. NBC should be ashamed of themselves for cutting what was a very meaningful piece of the ceremony to the hosts and the nation it's in. How crass and low class.

I wonder...what would NBC talking heads say if the U.S. had a moment of silence for the 9/11 victims..or some other tragedy during opening ceremonies here and the BBC cut THAT part for..say..an interview with Mr Bean or someone. I'll bet NBC would be screaming and calling the British everything but English. Indeed.. low class.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I just find it almost hard to believe... Why were we denied an opportunity to feel a little unity and compassion? Surely the McDonalds commercial (and pretty dumb one at that) can't be more important that this, you would think.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

i suppose that depends on what is considered 'important' to the organisers and the sponsors. i further suppose that monetary reward, to those same people, is far more 'important' than any mere humanistic sentiments.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

As I'm sure most of you know, in London on July 7th, 2012, there was a terrorist attack that took the lives of 52 people.

Do you mean 2005?

Anyhow, just like the Aroura shootings, it's an outrage if terrorism happens in America. The rest of the world? Who Cares.
edit on 29-7-2012 by Pedro4077 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

As I'm sure most of you know, in London on July 7th, 2012, there was a terrorist attack that took the lives of 52 people

That was July 7, 2005 and total was 56 dead. 52 innocent victims and suicide bombers well actually your correct on the number of 52, why count those 4 peices of crap.
edit on 29-7-2012 by ussoldier because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-7-2012 by ussoldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Sorry, all, I didn't mean to write "2012" (habit). I've fixed it to 2005. Thank you for pointing that out.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by drbatstein

This might be drifting off -topic but in my own research I noticed that 7/7 and other " double digit " dates are very popular as being the day that a terrorist attack takes place ... for example : since Jan.2000 there has been a terrorist attack on the 7th of July; six of the twelve yr.s Whats up with that?

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
For being ATS'ers -

I'm suprised this doesn't have more attention. Kudos to you for taking the time to do this!

The thing is this - I rent a room from an Irish family, in Florida. They are 100% fresh off the boat Irish. Right now, a relative, from South Ireland, is visiting.

"Aye Yeah, 9/11 - I'm so sick of it." He says in a thick accent.
"What do you mean?" I ask.
"All the time, it's 9/11 this - 9/11 that - every other week in the paper is something about the American embassy is doing this for 9/11, 9/11 remembered, how 9/11 forever changed the 'world - Well, I was born and razzed in Ireland, yeah? In the 80s and 90s bombings happened all the time! Get over your self!"

It was very very very very interesting to me. For them to cut away?

It had to be some sort of "America is special. We are the only ones."

Or they didn't want the "people" to see the phony reason the U.K. was 'suckered' into endless war?

Right?

Maybe.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
They probably omitted it for a number of reasons. Mainly, they decided it was too depressing to recall, and they were afraid people would just shut off their televisions.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Diluted

I can't say for sure. However, yeah it's not surprise the Irishman was used to bombings. The IRA loved to bomb. Death sells though so I can't see why they would censor it for that reason but they certainly did for some reason. Maybe they do want us to be ignorant. I can't say but I'm sure it's about money.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
First, I think it was completely wrong to dishonor the dead like that by snubbing them, regardless of the country it happened in.

That being said, I think it also might be kind of a media "war", not sure of a better way to put it. There has been lots of stuff over in London about how fat Americans are(the UK ranks pretty high up there with us). How their media jumped and attacked Romney like crazy for what he said, I mean I don't personally like the guy, even though with the empty seats, some lady that worked there just ran into the ceremony and so on showed he was actually kind of right. Stuff like that, I believe, has made tensions a little high between the USA and the UK. So, personally I think it was just some inconsiderate people on our side who were just saying "screw you people of London, no one cares about your fallen" is just how NBC fights the media over there.

Just a personal take on it, but I just feel like it is you want to be a jerk, so can we for the media of both sides.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
may be the only reason they didn't show it was because it was something that could be cut out to allow for more adverts. they probably didn't want all that program time interfering or interrupting with your adverts.

the opening ceremony was shown on the BBC - no ADVERTS.

was anybody watching it in America on a channel that had no adverts? or did it have adverts?

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

top topics

join