It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Us Americans ;)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I understand that the "Americas" stretch from the Arctic Ocean to the southern tip of South America but we are the only nation that includes the word America in our name. We often refer to our nation as just America ie "America the beautiful", "God bless Americia",and my favorite "Made in America". I'm proud to be known as an American.
As far as the hate directed at us......some of it is deserved
we have elected leaders who have used our power and influence to negatively impact other nations. Those people I think have earned the right to throw a little hate our way.
Some of other people who belittle us are....
-Those who are jealous of us (they want the things we have).
-Those who think they are better than us.
-Those that are afraid of us.
-Those who do not understand us. In Americia we have certain freedoms/rights that other people view as dangerous. We can own/carry guns, we can talk bad about our leaders in public and in the press, and we don't have a national religion to uniformly regulate our ways of thinking. We not only allow independent thoughts and actions we actually encourage it. Out of this seemingly chaotic anarchy our society functions and pretty well too.
If one or more of those freedoms/rights were incorporated into some other societies they would collapse.

Everytime I hear the rest of the world tell us how bad we suck I just chuckle to myself and remember I am an American and their not.

Btw I'm 10lbs (not kilos) overweight, only work as hard as I have to, monolingual, armed, don't have a passport, Virginian, libertarian, American.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by XcytaBill

Originally posted by XcytaBill

Some of other people who belittle us are....
-Those who are jealous of us (they want the things we have).

Nonsense. Nobody is jealous of something they already have. Most of the world is free mate, despite what you are told.

-Those who think they are better than us.

That reaks of arrogance.

-Those that are afraid of us.

The world has a right to be afraid of what the greed and selfishness of America has brought and will bring in the near future.

-Those who do not understand us. In Americia we have certain freedoms/rights that other people view as dangerous.

My god mate, are you really that ignorant of the world? Have you been living under a rock for the last 30 years?

We can own/carry guns,

Whoopdy doo, so can much of the rest of the world - we are just more sensible about it. We don't let madmen be able to purchase military gear off the internet and shoot the hell out of a theatre full of people.

we can talk bad about our leaders in public and in the press,

SO CAN WE. Oh my god mate, you truly are ignorant of anything outside of America.

and we don't have a national religion to uniformly regulate our ways of thinking.

Neither does much of the rest of the world.

We not only allow independent thoughts and actions we actually encourage it. Out of this seemingly chaotic anarchy our society functions and pretty well too.

LMAO, I can't believe you seriously think that the rest of the world does not have these 'rights' that you seem to think are exclusive to America.

If one or more of those freedoms/rights were incorporated into some other societies they would collapse.

Here's a novel thought mate, jump on a plane and fly....oh....pretty much ANYWHERE ELSE in the world and methinks you'll die of shock at how wrong you actually are.

Everytime I hear the rest of the world tell us how bad we suck I just chuckle to myself and remember I am an American and their not.

Flex those muscles. Go on, you're impressing SO many people. /sarcasm.

edit on 29/7/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66
BTW if i don't call you American I still don't know how I'm meant to refer to you. US citizen is a bit of a mouthful. Any ideas?

ah and therin lies the problem
as America comprises 2 entire continents

mexicans, brazilians, and patagonians, ARE americans as well

interesting indeed, from the esoteric POV,
when somebody curses america or americans,

the curse spreads out and doesn't affect the USA as much as it would if the people
of the formerly known as
the states united [not the united states]

look up Dixie
once upon a time those southern bigots were fantasizing ruling the entire hemisphere
with mexico, the carribbean, and all points southward one big plantation.

which considering the following might be food for thought
Conservative Southern Values Revived: How a Brutal Strain of American Aristocrats Have Come to Rule America America didn't used to be run like an old Southern slave plantation, but we're headed that way now. How did that happen?

don't get indigestion now.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Why can't we pick on Guam?
*punches Guam in the arm*

There!

Now leave America alone or Lichtenstein will get a purple nurple.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I see you arrogantly assumed I was referring to other western nations.
I specifically neglected naming specific countries to avoid insulting anyone.

What would happen if the unrestricted right to bear arms was to be granted overnight to the Chinese people or the North Koreans?

What would happen if the freedom of religion allowed people not to follow Sharia law would those leaders still have the same control over their societies?

And yes we have abundant resources and we do waste them. And yes we have a powerful (and expensive) military which our leaders have seen fit (erroneously IMO) to send all over this beautiful world "defending liberty" or "liberating people" or (my favorite) " humanitarian efforts". Half of our citizens need financial aid yet our leaders are more concerned with nation building or defending someone else's border. We have earned the worlds scorn.

In the 236 years of our existence we have made many enemies but we have befriended many of those in fact defended them from complete annihilation and that is something I'm very proud of. When this country was founded our system of government was unique. The freedoms granted to our citizens and the limits placed on government was unheard of it was backwards yet it worked and we grew and prospered until the very nation whom we rebelled against needed help and we gave it. Look at the amount of Americian blood was lost to end the war in Europe. If being proud of those accomplishments makes me arrogant then so be it. We might be on a downhill slide now but we will climb back up and be that nation that the world looked up to

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Erm isn't Guam considered a territory of the US ?
And already had US bases there ?

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neocrusader
reply to post by beezzer

Erm isn't Guam considered a territory of the US ?
And already had US bases there ?

Don't confuse me with facts when I'm being silly!!!

Okay, instead of Guam, lets punch Burma in the arm!

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

lol I know I'm sorry x I couldn't resist the irony of it x lol

And was semi suspicious that was your aim

Your actually one of the posters I tend to pay a little more attention too, in a good way

Promise I wasn't tryin to be an arse lol

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

the majority of the refugees that come to the US are from Burma.Those poor people have had enough of a rought time.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

It is a legit question.

USAers? lol

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Trust me, I am not defending my government one bit. I know my government has sent its sons and daughters off to fight for rich men to become richer. I have no problem admitting how out of control our government is and I can not stand how blindly patriotic a lot of Americans are here. To gladly send their children off to "fight for our freedom" ..

Having said that...

Why the hypocrisy? Your own governments are right along with The US government sending your troops in to fight within and occupy Afghanistan, Iraq, etc. Your own governments are just as out of control, and the grip of the control freaks overshadow all of us.. Why are we americans singled out for not putting a stop to our government. Everyone wants to see us take up arms and overthrow our overlords, but I don't see anyone else jumping up in other countries to dismantle their corrupt government.

I do hope to see people everywhere stand up all across the world to TPTB.

As far as my friend from Iraq goes, I have truly questioned myself many times over this. I find myself torn. I am so thankful that he lives here (just a mile or so from my home here in Oklahoma) and to see him and his wife and child living a successful, happy prosperous life.. He is very thankful as well. He is the top salesman at the dealership he works at and has only been here a few years now. Him and his family were in serious danger for his part in helping topple the regime, so the US brought him and his family here. His life was full of misery under Saddam, living under the shadow of fear for any little thing could be prison, torture and death. Many of his friends and family would just disappear never to be seen again. One of his best friends was drug out of his home because he had a few metal band posters (Metallica, Slayer etc.) hanging in his bedroom. He was taken to jail, tortured and executed for being a "devil worshiper" ..

So yea, I dare you to tell my friend shame on you for helping take down a regime that he lived under constant fear of. Like I said, I have not been a supporter of the military actions in Iraq, etc. However, seeing my friend here and safe having a very happy life really puts a smile on my face. A little fact that he is happy to see since the regime ended, is the growing metal scene there. My friend and a lot of his friends there always dreamed of being able to grow their hair out and playing in metal bands, which has happened. Something that would have guaranteed their death before. One of these Iraqi bands who my friend knows very well was featured in a documentary, and even had their dream of meeting Metallica a few years ago.
www.youtube.com...

I just find it a bit arrogant of you to tell him he should feel ashamed for helping him and his family find a better life.

Anyways, I do appreciate the input. I guess I really should try not to be so sensitive at the generalizations. I just grow weary of seeing so much dislike for us Americans but I do understand the anger at our government. I just think that should be aimed at all of our governments everywhere. Were all facing these tyrants.. And yes.. I will keep my guns!

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Neocrusader

Thanks, Neo.. For the input

Yea, I exaggerated a bit Im sure, but many people I know personally have traveled quite often outside the US. Many indeed were military, but many were just vacationing, work related travels and such. My point was that we are so over generalized to be nothing but uncultured, uncouth, dumb hillbillies.. When in fact there is a good amount of citizens of the US that are well traveled, educated, and speak more than one language. My gf speaks 2 languages and I am currently learning spanish.

Everywhere you look you find culture here in the US. People who have immigrated from all countries of the world.

Anyways, my "rant" was provoked after a seemingly endless growth of hostility I witness everywhere I go on the net. I can be reading an article about bird watching, watch a video about pirates, or just about any non related subject and in the comments, there is almost always comments about how evil America is. I refuse to ever get into arguments over the internet, but venting here felt kind of nice

Yes, we have brought some of it upon ourselves.. And yes our horrible tv shows and such do not help.. Which is why I abhor tv. It really does make us look ridiculous.

I do appreciate your input..
Cheers dude

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Agreed.. Sorry for whining.

I am usually a very quiet, reserved person, but I just had to relieve some growing animosity after viewing so much over generalizing towards us Americans. In my mind, we are just a nation of peoples away from our home lands. With exception to the Native Americans. Like I said.. We are you!

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

lol... USAers it is!

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by XcytaBill

Being called an American really wasn't my problem.. I just find it amusing that when others hurl insults at Americans they are in a way, insulting people from South America, and North America alike.. We are all Americans in that sense. I know who they mean though. I honestly have no problem being called an american. I am happy to be one.. But I am proud to have Nordic roots as well.

I have libertarian leanings myself, after waking from the Neo Con brainwashing I suffered from for awhile. I really would like to see our troops here at home and not "dying for our freedoms" .. policing the world and guarding opium fields.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Why does it matter if people from other nations dont like us? Most of the other powerfull nations governments have treaties with us, thats all that matters. So when we go to war our allies will join

Ive been outside the U.S. a few times, granted it was mostly from getting deployed to Iraq. But we did land in Germany and Ireland and the majority of the people were very nice to us. When we were walking through the airport they came over and shook our hands and thank us.

Your friend did the right thing by helping the troops. The majority of Iraqi civilians were happy we were there. Ive seen some horrible things they did to their own people mostly at the hands of SOI

I dont believe im fighting for our freedom, cause if we were really fighting for our freedom we would be fighting the president, congress and politicians. Since they are the ones taking away our freedoms little by little.

But tell you the truth I love going to war, im not a warmonger or trigger happy. I just like the excitement and the adrenaline rush. I miss being there every minute of the day. Its strange when your there all you can think about is getting home but when your home all you can think about is getting in country boots on the ground
edit on 29-7-2012 by ussoldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Hmmmm....

Yeah, I don't see America.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

People think the US acts alone, because the US has the military might. Fact is, the US isn't the bully, often times the US is the one called to stand behind a friend and be the intimidating muscle when a bar fight is going down.

As for Syria:
The Syrian rebels are pissed because the US won't send them arms for their cause. the US has no plans to go into Syria.

The funny thing about Libya, the British and the French were right along the US with Libya when they went in.

The British and the Australians were right along with the US for Iraq.British involvement with Iraq began in the 19th century.

In the 1950s, Iran's oil was owned by...BP. When the country started to feel disdain to what they felt was British imperialism, Britain instigated a worldwide boycott against Iran. Then mobilized the military to seize a refinery. Teh coup that followed was initalized by British intelligence, that was then given to the Truman administration.

In the 1960s the British government underhandedly started supply the royal forces in Yemen against the new Republic government, starting a ten year war. This is Britian's dirty secret.

See, the war in the middle east was started before the US got involved. And since the US and the Uk are bed buddies, what one does, the other does.

We have a saying in the states: Clean your own house first.

So before you start criticizing someone else's government, clean your own house first.

Because the US still can't hold a candle to the actions of Britain.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ussoldier

Yea, my friend.. It really doesn't matter. I just see all these comments pointing fingers at us and yet their own military is involved hand in hand with ours. Yet we are the warmongers and should rope in our government when they haven't even removed the plank from their own eye..

My Iraqi friend has a lot of good memories of the troops. He was telling me about how American, British and other troops would hang out at his parents house and eat breakfast with them and such. Usually blown away when they discovered his fondness for Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Music and things like that.

All the best to you.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Thank you Nixie, Very well said and a star for you!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join