It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Levels of deadly bacteria more than 100 times higher in Gulf waters during the BP spill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
The Gulf of Mexico disaster is still alive.

"Although the Gulf’s oyster harvest was off by about 40 percent due to fishing closures stemming from the BP oil spill, 2010 ranks as one of the deadliest years on record for illnesses caused by eating oysters tainted with Vibrio vulnificus."

Source

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Ive been fishing off the coast of Mississippi every weekend since 2007. I eat every thing I catch and I never gotten sick, all of my buddies do the same and they havent gotten sick either.

The chemical dispersants they sprayed all over the gulf did alot more harm to the wildlife and enviroment then the oil did

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ussoldier

The dispersant you are referring to is Corexit 9527, which is extremely toxic.

posted on Jul, 29 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Stiglitz

Thanks, I couldnt remeber what it was called. I do remember them saying it was completly harmless, which nobody believed. A few days after they started spraying that crap there was dead fish every where, the water smelled like chemicals, and when I would catch Mullet and cut them up for bait their meat smelled like chemicals

Im so much mad about Deepwater Horizon, Im mad about how everything was handled after that,.

Dont get me started on the workers hired to clean up the oil. My unit ask for volunteers to be in charge of groups of these clean up workers. I didnt do it but some of my buddies did. They said these workers instead of cleaning up the oil that washed ashore they would just bury it in the sand. Then so they could keep their jobs they would go out too the booms and lift them out of the water so more oil would come ashore.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
So is this about Bacteria or Chemicals?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I believe that some of the bacteria in the BP spill effectively bio remediate the oil by eating it. I have no idea what in turn eats those bacteria though. What confuses me is why the oil rigs don't store some of these bacteria that eat oil so they can be used when spills occur without shipping them in from outside laboratories which would take precious hours of ecological disaster time. Unless the reason they don't do this is because they are afraid someone would want to introduce those bacteria into an oil deposit as part of eco terrorism.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Need to stop calling it the Gulf of Mexico and call it the Dead Sea of Mexico.

Or the Dead Sea of BP, that one I like.....it even rhymes.

new topics

top topics

join