It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crowdsource Lobbying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I have an idea. It is an idea that has so many legal and moral implications that it would probably never fly... but sometimes when I think of the obvious lobbying of large corporations and the (almost accepted) fact that a majority of politicians are bought and paid for, this may have a chance!

Wikipedia - Crowdsourcing

The difference between crowdsourcing and ordinary outsourcing is that a task or problem is outsourced to an undefined public rather than a specific body, such as paid employees.

Wikipedia - Lobbying

Lobbying (also lobby) is the act of attempting to influence decisions made by officials in the government, most often legislators or members of regulatory agencies.

My concept is to develop a website where people can submit new laws or amendments to existing laws. Anyone who agrees can donate any sum of money into the pool for that one suggestion. Those funds would be held in trust until a politician decides to take up that task. A percentage of the money would be released to the politician to fund the time and effort that is put into drafting such laws and gathering support to pass them. If/when the law is passed, the remaining money would then be released... with a little something for website/company left behind - we do live in a capitalist society don't we?

Sounds a little extreme but in essence, isn't this what large corporations do every day? If the people want to take control of the government back, then why can't we play by their rules? Individually we can't compete with corporations, but together we can.

Disclaimer: If anyone who reads this is crazy enough to take on such a task, keep in mind it is my idea and I'll expect royalty checks each month.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
You know what, I always see the amount some of these company lobby with... its not that much, I mean for an individual yea it is.

But some are as low as 100,000

And other large only spend like 2mil total a year...

Wow our politicians sell us out on the cheep... that site actually sounds interesting..

Like a kickstarter for causes.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
sorry double
edit on 27-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by fenceSitter

You would need wads of cash to throw around to get any light away from the corporate lobbyists the politicians are suckling on. The only chance of real change is throw out evryone in DC and replace them with trusted members of the communities across the country. You know, how it used to be when our country was on the fast track to world recognition before the gov stepped in to tell us how to live the right way.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
...and then Mosanto silently start pouring few millions into a "limiting non GMO seeds from spreading" law. Somebody pick it up and try his best to make it law.

Before you know it, owning a seed is considered illegal and a threat to national food production, yeah, way to to go.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

It essentially would be a method for the people to dictate their own laws and fund them accordingly. Better than giving your money to a political party that may or may not pursue your own ideas.

I'm sure there would be plenty of backlash initially but we do live in a world of constant change. This concept may go over well with more people than I currently think.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by NullVoid

...and then Mosanto silently start pouring few millions into a "limiting non GMO seeds from spreading" law. Somebody pick it up and try his best to make it law.

I didn't even think of it, your right it would probably be co-opted out the gate and be a perfect way to hide who was lobbying for what...

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by NullVoid

Before you know it, owning a seed is considered illegal and a threat to national food production, yeah, way to to go.

Isn't that the way it is headed now? Monsanto has politicians in their back pocket already, they have no need to go through a 'middleman'. The website would likely have to maintain records on who donated what so any attempts of a corporation to use a site such as this could be weeded out fairly easily.

The website could also have a policy of accepting donations from individuals only. Any corporate attempt could be flashed around social media in a heartbeat which wouldn't look good on them.

Even if corporations were allowed to donate, a list of individuals/companies donating to a cause could be made for public viewing. At least everyone will know what corporations are pushing for instead of it all happening behind closed doors.
edit on 27-7-2012 by fenceSitter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by fenceSitter

weeded out fairly easily.

Not if they use their own employees to get behind it, or fronts...

They could just as easily flood the system with individuals donating to things they "like" it would be away to "hide" some activity...

I am sure it wouldn't be as blatant as "ban seeds" but they are clever at it...

Don't get me wrong I think its a good idea just as I sit here I am mapping out all the problems with it in my head...nd

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I like the idea. It is a bit like Kickstarter. We could setup a Kickstarter project with $100,000 goal to 'bribe' and 'pay off' politicians to vote a certain way.

Of course Ron Paul wouldn't accept it - but Rand might.
edit on 7/27/2012 by ararisq because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

bribe' and 'pay off' politicians to vote a certain way.

Votes are sometimes bought for as little as a good meal in an expensive place.

THe key is spreading the lobbying around to the swing votes, focused efforts that matter.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I like the idea. I realize this is just a rough sketch and some have already pointed out possible problems. Then, again, others have brought up possible solutions. This is how it should be working. Idea --> Potential problems --> Potential solutions.

Actually, with this discussion, the crowd sourcing has already begun.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Why would we reinvent the wheel ?

Pick our stand, pick our leader, check time to time making sure leader dont divert from the cause.
I think thats the basis for democracy. So, why would reinvent the wheel ?

Get the cause clearly defined, see who dare to make it the law, support him.
Lets see if Ron Paul up to the task.

IF you really really want to see how your idea works, play this game
Nation States

new topics

top topics

join