It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Selective Outrage: How The U.K. Press Reacted To Obama’s Numerous Anti-British Gaffes

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizenx1

Basically, its not ok to just come to the country and slag us off. Its ok for us to do it but not Romney.

Please quote when Romney "slagged off" your country. I'll wait patiently.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I've got it!!

Just so the British can prove they've got a handle on the security angle, perhaps they should stop Mr. Romney and his entourage at every opportunity and give them the full monty of security pat-down!!
Give them the ol' TSA treatment, just to make them feel better.

That is exactly what Romney, the TSA, and the Republicans do here in the States. They harass us to no end, just to make us feel safer, even though the more educated among us realize it does absolutely no good to ensure our safety, but it does make the uninformed people feel safer about travelling and spending their money.

SO, UK, if you are reading this, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help Mr. Romney to feel safer by subjecting him to every security check you can think of. It is for his own good, to put his mind at ease, so he can enjoy the Olympics in a relaxed state.
edit on 27-7-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-7-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by PvtHudson

Basically, its not ok to just come to the country and slag us off. Its ok for us to do it but not Romney.

Wait all you like, thats the clear perception of the British public.

You might find this and the links in the report interesting.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by citizenx1

WOW! That article is HILARIOUS!!

I like this part about his wife's horse the most though...

All he needs now is for his wife's horse to win gold, and be heavily featured in all the TV pictures back home. It is competing in the dressage competition, the one where the prancing animals perform a difficult, elegant ballet.

It is safe to say that dressage does not have the same place in the heart of the American blue-collar worker as Nascar racing or baseball.

Pinning Mitt to a refined and elitist sport might be even more damaging than his unique twist on the special relationship.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

WOW! That article is HILARIOUS!!

I like this part about his wife's horse the most though...

All he needs now is for his wife's horse to win gold, and be heavily featured in all the TV pictures back home. It is competing in the dressage competition, the one where the prancing animals perform a difficult, elegant ballet.

It is safe to say that dressage does not have the same place in the heart of the American blue-collar worker as Nascar racing or baseball.

Pinning Mitt to a refined and elitist sport might be even more damaging than his unique twist on the special relationship.

I can imagine that would go down like a lead balloon! You know its serious when even Cameron is getting a dig in!

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Republican is a DIRTY word on this side of the Atlantic.

It is over here, too.
The sad truth is that the GOP is no longer representative of actual conservative values. They have become an extremist wing of politics that is based in evangelical religion and wealth... It's not pretty.

reply to post by getreadyalready

Originally posted by getreadyalready
The point of this thread is that Romney has no business representing the US on the world wide stage. Just like Palin had no business...

I'm going to leave your Obama and Bush comments alone, but I feel the same way about Romney and Palin. I recently watched "Game Change" (excellent, by the way), and what I see Romney doing and saying is very similar to her. He has to be coached before he speaks to any issues, because he simply doesn't have a clue.
edit on 7/27/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Please. The UK media are on his nuts because he's the president of America. Anything to do with America is spinned positively.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Yeah it's hilarious that she got into the sport as therapy for her Multiple Sclerosis......

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink

Yeah it's hilarious that she got into the sport as therapy for her Multiple Sclerosis......

Right.

Does Medicaid cover that? Does she groom the horse herself? Does her MS allow her to train the horse? What exactly is it that she does with the horse that constitutes a couple of hundred thousand dollars in tax deductions?

She can watch the sport on TV for her therapy, or buy a dog.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
She is such an awful person she is making it possible for her coach to co-own the Olympic horse and ride it at the Olympics...hopefully winning her (the coaches) first olympic medal....those awful Romneys who give millions and millions of dollars away and work with numerous charities....and have traditional values and so far no mistresses etc in the closet...boy they are just terrible.

Romney is an avid equestrian, crediting her renewed involvement in it while in Park City, Utah, (where the couple had built a vacation home and where they lived when he was in charge of the 2002 Winter Olympic Games) for much of her recovery after her multiple sclerosis diagnosis[26][34] and for her continued ability to deal with the disease.[25] She has said that riding "saved my life", explaining that, "I was losing most of the function of my right side. And I decided I needed to go back and do what I loved before I couldn't do it anymore."[35] At first she could barely stay on a horse without getting tired,[36] but gradually the muscle control required for riding proved directly beneficial, and psychologically, "Riding exhilarated me; it gave me a joy and a purpose. When I was so fatigued that I couldn't move, the excitement of going to the barn and getting my foot in the stirrup would make me crawl out of bed."[35] As a result, she said, "My desire to ride was, and is, so strong that I kept getting healthier and healthier."[30] She has received recognition in dressage as an adult amateur at the national level,[25] including earning her 2006 Gold Medal[37][35] and 2005 Silver Medal at the Grand Prix level from the United States Dressage Federation.[24][35] She also sometimes competes in professional dressage events and has broken the 60% level at Grand Prix. Romney works with California trainer Jan Ebeling,[38] who schools her and her horses in dressage and works with her importing new stock from Europe.[36] The pair qualified for the Pan-Am games in 2004. By 2011, the horses she owned and kept at Eberling's Moorpark, California, stables, which she is a partner in,[35] were valued at more than $250,000.[39] The Romneys helped fund Ebeling's aspirations for equestrian competition at the 2012 Summer Olympics,[36] and Ann was present in Gladstone, New Jersey, in June 2012 when Ebeling, riding on the horse Rafalca (co-owned by him and Ann) won a spot on the U.S. dressage team.[40]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

They're not terrible people. I met Ann a couple of times, and about the 3rd time she actually recognized me and gave me a quick hug. Very, very sweet person. Mitt's son was with them the last time, and he was also a very high-quality individual, handsome, smart, good hand-shake, etc. Mitt is also endearing and direct when he speaks to someone. Good handshake, eye contact, really seems engaged, even if only for a brief moment.

I'd be happy to be their friends, have a dinner party, hit the clubs, whatever.

Still a terrible idea to put him out there as president though. No more terrible than Obama, but terrible.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

He made more than one gaffe and that is why they are calling attention to it.
He also spoke publicly about meeting with MI6! That is a complete no no. You don't talk about having secret meetings with other countries secretive organizations.
edit on 27-7-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

You are implying they are good people with absolutely no basis yourself. Romney is very secretive and has lied several times during the campaign. Not to mention played dumb to avoid lying further, flip flopped too many times to count (including a big jump from going against the NRA to a "lifetime member uh huh." And how he made his money through Bain was pretty dispicable, destroying American jobs and businesses for quick profit.

We have more reason to believe he is bad than good.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

You are falling for MSM lies with no basis for truth.....right now we have 2 choices for president...1 we know screwed things up, never helped a company or for that matter worked for one in his life. He has done nothing but show his contempt for this country.

The other has given away millions to charity, is a self made business man who saved the Utah Olympics and many companies and has a pretty decent record as Gov. if you do the research yourself.

I don't care about his tax records for 10 years, especially since I have never seen ANYTHING from our current president except lies.

The topic of the thread is media bias and it is quite clear from the replies that propaganda is alive and working well here and across the pond. Ford help us.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

The topic of the thread is media bias and it is quite clear from the replies that propaganda is alive and working well here and across the pond. Ford help us.

It's JUST as clear from your response that the Romney campaign is doing a number on you. You are not "unbiased" here.

What does Ford have to do with it?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Does Medicaid cover that? Does she groom the horse herself? Does her MS allow her to train the horse? What exactly is it that she does with the horse that constitutes a couple of hundred thousand dollars in tax deductions?

I'm sick of hearing about Ann Romney's million-dollar horse that's for "therapy". She's in it for the Olympic gold, and it's equally disgusting she get's tax breaks for that horse. Therapy my ***.
(Don't talk about Ann Romney's fancy Olympic horse. Don't even THINK about it)

To the OP:

Big difference in the gaffes committed by Obama versus the ones by Romney. Obama's weren't insulting. Handing the Queen an iPod or putting an arm around her, might be a break in protocol, but hardly insulting. Romney on the other hand just couldn't stop himself from referring to England in a condescending manner;

Look what Romney had to say about England in his book "No Apology" (where he dismissed the country as entirely irrelevant);

"England is just a small island. Its roads and houses are small. With few exceptions, it doesn't make things that people in the rest of the world want to buy. And if it hadn't been separated from the continent by water, it almost certainly would have been lost to Hitler's ambitions."
-- Mitt Romney, No Apology

Source: Romney Once Called England "Just a Small Island"

Well, there you are England - you're just a "small island". You don't make anything the rest of the world wants to buy. Your roads are small. Your houses are small. And if it weren't for the English Channel, you'd all be speaking Nazi right now. At least according to Mitt Romney - the guy who was so quick to point out he (and not Obama) can boast of a "common Anglo-Saxon heritage".

When it comes to gaffes - I'll take speaking flubs and naive breaks of etiquette over putdowns and insults from an elitist. "57 states" and "Is our children learning" while amusing aren't insulting. Questioning England's ability to handle the Olympics or referring to them as a "small island" that doesn't build anything anyone wants... that's a little more disturbing.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Just a reference to Brave New World....

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

You are falling for MSM lies with no basis for truth.....right now we have 2 choices for president

I LOVE that irony.
I am not falling for ANY MSM lies. Trust me I pay closer attention. However you must be slurping them up like hot cocoa because you think we only have 2 choices for president! Who told you that?

Yeah the reason we get stuck with all of these idiot garbage presidents is because people like you buy whatever the MSM sells you and you go out and vote for the "lesser evil" because you think that's all you can do. Guess what.. I am not buying into any MSM lies. Everything I said was true and you cannot dispute it, it's common knowledge.

So again I say. Romney is a bad guy. He lies, he flip flops CONSTANTLY, his job was to destroy jobs and businesses so he could earn a fat pay check, he barely pays taxes but expects the poor to pay a chunk before they ever see their check, he plays dumb and is keeping his real wealth (most of which is stored in over seas bank accounts) secret from the public.

Those things are true. You seem to be defensive thinking I am supporting Obama. I am not, but let's be honest Romney is worse for the country than Obama. Also Romney is actually more likely to ban assault rifles than Obama (Romney already signed up to do it once before he needed to appear like a GOPer when he started running for president).

I do all the research myself btw, that is why I actually know what he did at Bain. Apparently you do not.

Obama and Romney are both terrible choices, and that is why I will vote for neither. But you need to be honest with yourself Romney would be terrible for this country. He has no chance of winning anyway so why not give your voice some actual power and vote for someone deserving.
edit on 27-7-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by PvtHudson

Wait all you like, thats the clear perception of the British public.

You might find this and the links in the report interesting.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Like I said earlier. You guys are not only easily manipulated by your media, you revel in it. You're almost proud of it.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

I guess for them and the kool-aid drinkers here, ignorance is bliss.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join