It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HP Photosmart Help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I'm trying to get my current avatar sized and centered, to where the house is in the middle of the photo in the avatar you see beside a post, and am having some problems. I tried downloading GIMP and have insufficient permissions to do so, so I'm using HP. I'm on Windows XP with Service Pack 3.

The main problem I seem to be having is when I go to change the ration to 160:320, it defaults back to some funky ratios that do me no good and screws up the resolution. And I'm not finding any cropping tools I can use. What am I doing wrong and should you crop before you re-size, vice versa, or does it matter?

Thank you, anyone who can help.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
There are tons of free online websites where you can crop and resize your images. Just Google "crop and resize images" and many pages will appear before your eyes.

Or you can upgrade to Windows 7 where those capabilities (amongst others) are included in Paint now.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Thank you. I'll try those.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

If this is what you want just rightclick on the pic and choose copy then paste to your desktop

This is what will happen if you try to make it more narrow
edit on 26-7-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Theres an online photoshop you can use for free. no download needed

Photoshop online

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
you could make a blank transparent image of the size that fills you avatar space and then past your current image into the center of it, then save the image as a PNG with transparency (alpha) that would center your image without distorting it.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

That one was perfect, thank you. What's the ratio on that?

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

163 x 211

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

163 x 211

TY

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
For future reference; while there are a lot of online options for image editing, as far as basic cropping and sizing you don't have to go any further than your paint program. It sounds like that's where you did the work, but all your options led you to overthinking the operation. No shame in that. Might get you eaten by a lion, though, which is why deep thinkers are the minority.

If you want to center (or offcenter) an element of an image a) get it in Paint. b) click select-rectangular selection (or free-form if you want, Iv'e never found a need for that yet). c) click&drag. Watch where the dotted lines define your perimeter. When the building (or whatever) is in the middle (or wherever) click Crop.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitruvius

That's helpful as well. I'd rather stick with the programs I have then download more things onto my puter.

new topics

top topics

join