It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raul Castro: Cuba willing to sit down with US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Wow. This is really cool, hopefully the U.S. responds in kind and accepts the offer. My wife is Cuban and the majority of her family still resides there. Lifting some or all the restrictions / embargoes would be awesome.

Source

Cuban President Raul Castro said Thursday that his government is willing to mend fences with bitter Cold War foe the United States and sit down to discuss anything, as long as it is a conversation between equals.

At the end of a Revolution Day ceremony marking the 59th anniversary of a failed uprising against a military barracks, Castro grabbed the microphone for apparently impromptu remarks. He echoed previous statements that no topic is off-limits, including U.S. concerns about democracy, freedom of the press and human rights on the island, as long as it is a conversation between equals.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal
Wow. This is really cool, hopefully the U.S. responds in kind and accepts the offer. My wife is Cuban and the majority of her family still resides there. Lifting some or all the restrictions / embargoes would be awesome.

Source

Cuban President Raul Castro said Thursday that his government is willing to mend fences with bitter Cold War foe the United States and sit down to discuss anything, as long as it is a conversation between equals.

At the end of a Revolution Day ceremony marking the 59th anniversary of a failed uprising against a military barracks, Castro grabbed the microphone for apparently impromptu remarks. He echoed previous statements that no topic is off-limits, including U.S. concerns about democracy, freedom of the press and human rights on the island, as long as it is a conversation between equals.

I agree, it would be cool if we could get along. I have never been to Cuba but from the pics I have seen and stories I have read about it, it seems like a beautiful place with a rich culture. I would like to take a vacation there one day if this works out.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by billy197300

It is a beautiful place with rich and vibrant culture. The people are very genuine, humble and kind. It's like a place stuck in time, having very little commercialization and corporate influence. I've never been there, but have seen many pictures.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I have a couple of older friends that came from Cuba (I'm 58) and they tell me these wonderful stories about Cuba and the people...I would love to go there...Plus they make the best cigar in the world and they use to use Connecticut tobacco leafs for their wrapper.
edit on 26-7-2012 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
About time one of us decided to grow up and be the adult. The Cold War ended ages ago, it's time to put petty things like this aside.

Now, I suppose the real question is whether or not Uncle Sam will also grow up...

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

our cuba policy is pedantic and trivial. we should have went to their table long ago.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Akuhei

Or rather one side of the aisle might stop letting a few thousand Cuban American's dictate foreign policy. I get what Cuban American's went through, but the cold war has been over twenty flipping years. Get over it people.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Wow OP nice find

I think its about darn time!

I hope they lift the embargo of Cuban cigars first thing though

new topics

top topics

join