It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MICHAEL BLOOMBERG: Police Officers Should Go On Strike If There Are No Gun Reforms

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I kinda agree with him, simply because what he's saying is that people who own guns make it harder for the police to protect other people, he's not wrong. But I don't see the police protesting about this anytime soon.

And when I hear people say things like: "gun control laws wont work, because criminals will do anything to get their hands on guns" it makes me very sad, because it shows how much faith these people have in their own law system: NONE.

Why is that? thats what I'd like to ask at this point.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
1)Please, let them strike. Then we can form civilian groups and police ourselves, the way it is meant to be done.

2)The problem is, its not the law-abiding gun owners who are the issue.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenRuled
"I don’t understand why police officers across this country don’t stand up collectively and say we’re going to go on strike, we’re not going to protect you unless you, the public, through your legislature, do what’s required to keep us safe,’"
I bet NYPD would get paid leave on strike the way he sounds. I see most failed to notice the skyrocket in gun sales in Colorado since the shooting. Sounds like people want gun control. At least that's what DC is trying to hear.
Business Insider

That's funny, because the majority of police officers I know are staunch supporters of gun rights! They would hate to see an unarmed nation, and the people on the streets they fear are not the lawful gun owners, they are the tweakers with dirty needles, and the angry domestic abusers, and the desperate drug runners on the interstates, and the folks with two strikes facing a third over something stupid like a little weed.

I'll tell you what most police officers want to see reformed, drugs, prostitution, mandatory sentencing, and 3-strike laws. The first two create desperate criminals with a lot to lose over something stupid, and the next two make those desperate accidental criminals dangerous by escalating the situation unbeknownst to the officer involved!

Walking up on a car for a basic traffic stop, for a guy with 2 strikes, and a little too much weed on him is a VERY DANGEROUS situation! Make it a citation offense instead of life in prison, and the officer is immensely safer!

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
If anyone has a vested interest in gun violence, it's LEOs. The question is which is more important to them...safety or job security because that is what it boils down to. Guns directly impact both.

There is some truth to what you say HOWEVR, there are communities where this does not hold water.
The communities where the law enforcement cares for their community and the people know their officers.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Isn't NYCPD the 3rd largest army in the world?
It would make sense they'd want to disarm everyone.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
There are so many guns in the US that are unaccounted for, that it would be impossible to have much of an effect (if the govt tried to ban them). All states have their own gun laws, and they differ greatly. In Utah, you can buy and sell guns all day long without having to notify anyone, legally. In sure there are similar laws in other states. So really, who's to say who's in possession of what before long. In Hawaii it's a different story altogether.

edit on 24-7-2012 by colbyforce because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I can't express how good it is to hear this decisively from a politician of his position and constituency. The quicker that gun control is tightened, enacted, and enforced in America, the better. The disconnect Americans face lie behind dated and old-country morals combined with a modern and socially-evolved atmosphere. People like to hold on to the idea of having a gun but don't usually carry it anywhere if they even own one.

If American gun rhetoric was so strong in practice then seventy people in Aurora wouldn't have been unarmed within the theatre. Police are in direct danger from overzealous citizens with unbelievably irresponsible imaginations who have a hair trigger ready to be pushed with so much of a reference to a 'police state'.

The interesting part of everything is that if you only want a gun for when 'the world goes pop' then you can get one now and bury it in the yard or hide it somewhere convenient. Don't think about bringing it out unless something necessary happens. Until then, no one has the right or need to the firearm collections that certain Americans make such a deal over.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by nusnus

Because the law is not out to protect you, it is out to get you any way it can.

For example:

In this video the cops are harassing these two guys, who are not breaking any laws. All they are doing is walking across America, and look how many come up and ask them for their ID.

Sorry, but asking people for ID is just too much like Nazi Germany, to coin a Godwin.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by nationalanthem

And who are you to tell me what I have a right to? Was I born into servitude to you? Because without our second amendment that is where we are headed. People who you can not trust to own a gun in there own home are the same people you dont want in open society anyway. You dont even live in the US do you? Please tell me why and who you are to dictate what rights I have.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
2)The problem is, its not the law-abiding gun owners who are the issue.

I agree.

Unfortunately, the Anti-Gun people can't see it that way. If all guns are outlawed, why, everyone would be safe. At least, according to them.

If Bloomberg is so against guns, and they should be outlawed, then he should lead the way and disarm his PSD.

Yeah, like that will happen.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by David134

If no one can tell you what you have a right to do, the police have no obligation to protect you. American law already lays on the line many things you can't do simply because they are illegal. Things are added over time, of course, because society changes. We're at the point now where the majority of Americans don't need a gun. American towns don't need a gun shop. No nation should offer such weapons without a very comprehensive and thorough registry database. I wish on every star that gun control is pressed a bit tighter following what happened in Aurora.

I was very disappointed when the most interesting debate that rose from the Columbine shooting was one over whether university students are permitted to carry arms on campus. I don't think they should be. It's absolutely ridiculous to think about. The 'American' thought that you need a gun at the grocery store, at the dentist, on the street, in a hospital, visiting a friend, driving on the road, in a shopping mall — for the sake of 'right to bear arms' — is scary. Do you know what it is? It is an obsessive culture of fear.

There are many things that a gun is necessary for but in comparison to American citizens who own one, two or ten these 'many' things seem like not so much. Owning a gun needs to be much more heavily controlled for the good of everyone. Any American citizen that prides themselves on a right to carry a firearm laid in the constitution is paying a very deadly price for that right now. Certainly, James wouldn't necessarily have been caught if he got the gun illegally on the underground or from Mexico, but there would have been a higher chance. When you can go in to a gun store and leave with a firearm that day with no test of your intentions other than maybe a question, it isn't surprising someone did this to seventy people.

It will happen again, perhaps worse. That is why I hope that America steps in the better direction with favour of dropping the "guns, we need guns" mantra and becoming a safer place to live. The anecdotal evidence like "here is a video of a gun saving two people" pales in comparison to the gun crimes that go on each day from New York to San Diego.
edit on 24-7-2012 by nationalanthem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
reply to post by GoldenRuled

And again a reform on guns will not stop another tragedy like this.
Criminals will get their hands on guns any way they can.

Criminals dont always use Guns, to commit crimes. People Murder people, with anything they can use.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Why is everyone so riled up? So there is a wee bit of gun violence. But there are like 300.000.000 Americans a couple more a couple less, who cares?

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join