It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polar bears, brown bears interbred during warm periods. Is it happening again?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Polar BEARS' past may echo their future, indicates a genetic study that finds the white-furred, sea ice-dwelling bears interbred with brown bears long after the two species separated as much as 5 million years ago.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
interesting how after 5 million years the brown and polar bears find each other "suitable" for breeding again. they obviously "split" for a reason and the polar bear evolved to be like it is for the arctic tempertures. but now it seems warm enough again to "re-join" warmer climate bear population?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
This is interesting. I am not a subscriber to Global Warming Magazine, perhaps there is another reason for the interbreeding.

Polar bears are a semi aquatic animal so rising sea levels are not going to kill them. They will adapt and use the "dwindling" ice shelves and dry land to mount sea attacks. But if there territory is shrinking and the numbers are shrinking maybe they see the best way to survive is to interbreed.

Maybe we see a semi aquatic brown bear soon?

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by coven83
This is interesting. I am not a subscriber to Global Warming Magazine, perhaps there is another reason for the interbreeding.

Polar bears are a semi aquatic animal so rising sea levels are not going to kill them. They will adapt and use the "dwindling" ice shelves and dry land to mount sea attacks. But if there territory is shrinking and the numbers are shrinking maybe they see the best way to survive is to interbreed.

Maybe we see a semi aquatic brown bear soon?

ugh, grizzlies are pretty scary as it is... if one swims out to get me in the middle of a lake i might poo myself...

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
It seems the brown bears just got arctic fever is all, don't hate!

You know what they say, when you go brown you....
Ok I killed it.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

You know what they say, when you go brown you....
Ok I killed it.

must be some fever to make them breed that far out of their species. Maritimus vs arctus.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
You know what they say, when you go brown you....Ok I killed it.

I had something to say too...but T&C restricts me from posting
I mean after all when you're hot..you're hot
I only know about the Dogs and Wolves that do not mind cross breeding with ease with other sub-species.

new topics

top topics

join