It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's a curious question. How come some people are able to delete their accounts and others not?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I think I saw one person with 3 posts and already his/her account is gone. I can't imagine after 3 posts they would get in trouble that fast.

I myself have tried it and my sister tried to delete her account yesterday. She was upset with me because I told her not to post the mob thread and I explained to her that it may get deleted. But she was in her world that everything I tell her, she has to delete it and that's why she leaving. I didn't say it would be because of her topic, I said that other members are going hijack her topic to the point where it may get deleted.

She was so P'd she couldn't delete her account, that she was yelling ATS is CIA.
I thought that was funny. Told her to calm down and do something else.

So, how come some members are privy to delete their accounts and other are not?

Curiosity kills the cat.
edit on 19-7-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
those who can't, are probably being watched by big brovah

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

No one is able to delete their account. They can be banned for violations, or they can request to be banned. Check the accounts you are referring to. Most likely their posts still exist, they have just been shown the door.

edit on 7/19/2012 by Klassified because: formatting

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Was it Bernard?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I saw a squiggly line where the post information is, I guess that means they have been deleted?

~

That symbol. I see it all the time.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Sometimes, a member will be banned and then they join under another name... At some point, the staff finds (using ip addresses, I assume) out and will delete the new account. I'm not saying this happened in the case you asked about, but it could explain it.

No one can delete their own account, but you can delete posts, given you edit it in the 3-4 hour window after posting.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
I saw a squiggly line where the post information is, I guess that means they have been deleted?

~

Yes, that squiggly symbol means they've been banned. No one can delete their account, they can only be banned.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

~

Correct. The squiggle takes the place where stars are tabulated. Click on the member's name at the left to see their profile page, where it will denote that person has been banned. The rationale for not deleting your accounbt is just like on slashdot. You said those words in a public forum. You can't take them back, the same as if you had said them in a public park. You chose to say those words, so you have to live with that fact.

Technically when a person is banned or a thread is moved to the Trash Bin, it isn't actually physically deleted. It is hidden from view. With a quarter million members, physically deleting accounts would cause havoc. You have a tremendous number of pointers linking members to threads and posts in a huge database, probably sql-based. From a systems administration standpoint, it's best just to hide them rather than poke at the integrity of the system and risk a disaster.

Think of the system like a bunch of legos building a structure that is ATS. Every member has a lego. Now start removing legos every time a member wants to delete his account. Eventually the system is so full of gaps that it will collapse.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

given you edit it in the 3-4 hour window after posting.

Pfft, there is no 3-4 hour window in my experience. It's more like 1.5 - 2 hours. The text which tells you that the 4 hour window has expired is simply incorrect, the time limit isn't 4 hours.

edit: in fact it's 120 minutes, which is exactly 2 hours. Try editing your post and you will see.
edit on 19/7/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

~

Their profile will say banned but their posts won't say that.

We can't delete our accounts, can't even delete a thread.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Sometimes, a member will be banned and then they join under another name... At some point, the staff finds (using ip addresses, I assume) out and will delete the new account. I'm not saying this happened in the case you asked about, but it could explain it.

No one can delete their own account, but you can delete posts, given you edit it in the 3-4 hour window after posting.

Really? I never seen an option to delete a thread or post. I always either have to edit it or ask the mods to do it for me. Where do you see that option?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Benevolent Heretic means you can edit the post and remove everything you wrote, leaving a blank post.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
LOL! My housemate had his ats account deleted the day he joined trying to negociate with the mods over releasing a conspiracy web he believed he had uncovered. I did try to explain that it was a violation of the rules and that he should just introduce himself. He wouldn't listen and I chuckled as he faux pas'd himself in to immediate exclusion. Brought a giggling tear to my eye.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

By ip address is absolutely stipid, my isp provides dynamic addressing as do many others, people will be baaned in innocence.

Also under UK law, EU citizens have the right to have removed any information they want, i think ATS will have to agree to play by the rules if they want their service to remain un-infringed in the uk.
edit on 19-7-2012 by The X because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Lagrimas

I hope everything works out.

Sorry about your friend.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by The X

By ip address is absolutely stipid, my isp provides dynamic addressing as do many others, people will be baaned in innocence.

They don't just go by ip address alone. There are other tools that help the process along. So no one is getting banned in innocence.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Banned ? Ah, that's easy.
Just choose one of the following nicknames: Womenhater, Childrenhater, (any nation) hater, (any religion) hater, (any colour) people hater, Manhater, and it shall be done in no time

Ah well, not the last one. Sorry

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

No one can technically "delete" their account, but there's more than one way to skin a cat. I'm not going to say it here, use your imagination, but there is a way to make it to where no one can see what you've done here lately that is of any relevance to what you've done here in the past.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by trisvonbis
Banned ? Ah, that's easy.
Just choose one of the following nicknames: Womenhater, Childrenhater, (any nation) hater, (any religion) hater, (any colour) people hater, Manhater, and it shall be done in no time

Ah well, not the last one. Sorry

You're right, she does get away with a lot doesn't she?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I mean deleting the text of the post.
The actual post is still there, it's just empty. There is no member option to completely delete a post OR a thread. Sorry for the confusion.

And about that editing window, I don't know how long it is. I just guessed 3-4 hours.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join