It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Russia/China Veto Syrian Sanctions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

BREAKING: Russia/China Veto Syrian Sanctions

[url=http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/19/world/meast/syria-unrest/index.html[/url]

Russia and China vetoed a new U.N. Security Council resolution Thursday that would have imposed new sanctions on the Syrian regime.

Western countries have been pushing for a resolution that threatens sanctions against the regime of President Bashar al-Assad if government forces don't stop attacks.

However, Russia has opposed any international effort that would blame, punish or change the leadership of the Syrian government. Russia and China have vetoed two previous draft resolutions in the U.N. Security Council, leading to accusations that Russia is protecting the Syrian regime.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 19-7-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
No surprise here.

I believe this is the end of UN talks. It's been almost 17 months and the massacres (whether is be the Syrian military under Assad's command or terrorists/malitias)

It's basically all out Civil war, so either NATO will sit back and see if it will end under a coup after more defects, or immediately set up in boots on the ground and UN Peacekeepers/Monitors.

www.cnn.com...
edit on 19-7-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Sad for the Syrian people - they will be screwed over by world powers and Iraqified for sure.

But can you blame the Russians? The West has taken the piss with Russia since they made peace moves in the late 80's. Forced coloured revolutions on its client states, then on its own state the USSR, then surrounded it with NATO. I don't blame them for not allowing the next step in US/UK/French/NATO/whatever takeover and control

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
The big question is: How far are they willing to go to stop an invasion?
If the U.S goes ahead with sanctions or progresses to boots on the ground, will Russia and China defend Syria?
They may just supply weapons, but what if they send troops?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Russia drew their line in the sand...China is standing shoulder to shoulder in support. This far, no further. I think Clinton and Obama ignore it at their peril...and ours. If sending a small task force of warships down from Russian ports isn't as clear a signal as can be sent, what will it take? The true and proper Red Banner Fleet, as much as still floats, from the bad old days of the USSR?

Syria is not ours...it's not our playground to play in and it's not our pot to pee on. It's a land for the Syrians and if they want Assad gone, fine. Let's offer our help AFTER it's OVER and there is a future they look to build a path into. Helping to make that happen is just not our place.

I wonder..in 5 or 10 years..when other nations decide WE need regime change and OUR opinion is meaningless and just has to adapt to THEIR reality, how will we like the turn on position? This is what we are doing there. At least Egypt had hundreds of thousands.. Millions...in open, clear and total support of change. This has been a rag tag group of rabble, begging for international help for over 13 months. Perhaps if people can't manage a revolution alone, it's because the support they dream they have from the population really is a fantasy.

Just my thoughts as I hope...even pray a little...that my nation comes to it's senses and recalls we used to be the power that STOPPED this sort of insanity, not led it like a parade.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
The UN is toothless and useless.

How effective would a sanction regime be without Russian and Chinese participation? Couldn't any sovereign country ban it's government agencies and businesses under it's jurisdiction from doing business with Syria without UN approval? Nations are still sovereign right? If Russia, China, Iran, and smaller unaligned countries are all that will do business with Syria how long can Assad abide?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Good for China and Russia!
I miss the good old days when the US was the good guy and these other 2 were not.
Maybe someday we can be the good guys standing up for peoples rather than corporate interests...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
How can you say this?
Does the US not represent freedom and democracy?
Atrocities and massacres are being committed, the people struggling for freedom and democracy, and all these powers acting like silly little children, whining about their sphere of influence. Syria needs some sort of help. Maybe just provide arms or send in medics.
The stubbornness of these countries appalls me.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Russia drew their line in the sand...China is standing shoulder to shoulder in support. This far, no further. I think Clinton and Obama ignore it at their peril...and ours. If sending a small task force of warships down from Russian ports isn't as clear a signal as can be sent, what will it take? The true and proper Red Banner Fleet, as much as still floats, from the bad old days of the USSR?

Syria is not ours...it's not our playground to play in and it's not our pot to pee on. It's a land for the Syrians and if they want Assad gone, fine. Let's offer our help AFTER it's OVER and there is a future they look to build a path into. Helping to make that happen is just not our place.

I wonder..in 5 or 10 years..when other nations decide WE need regime change and OUR opinion is meaningless and just has to adapt to THEIR reality, how will we like the turn on position? This is what we are doing there. At least Egypt had hundreds of thousands.. Millions...in open, clear and total support of change. This has been a rag tag group of rabble, begging for international help for over 13 months. Perhaps if people can't manage a revolution alone, it's because the support they dream they have from the population really is a fantasy.

Just my thoughts as I hope...even pray a little...that my nation comes to it's senses and recalls we used to be the power that STOPPED this sort of insanity, not led it like a parade.

Good post, I agree 100%. Even with all the conflicting media propaganda from both sides, this was never our fight to begin with IMO. Obviously Russia has close ties with Syria and as bad as the situation may seem based on what we know from the media, Russia is the key player in the region IMO. If Mexico or Canada were in a situation like Syria, I don't think we would be asking for Russia or China to intervene, nor do I think the Mexican (or Canadian) people would be asking for it.

Let's also not forget the fact (as our govt so often does) that we are 15+ trillion in debt, so even if we were the knight in shining armor to save the world as the media so often likes to portray, the reality is, we don't have the funds for it regardless of what the banks and the defense contractors say.

edit on 19-7-2012 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
These proposed sanctions are meaningless, they wont do any further damage to the Syrian government that the Alleged 'Rebels' have prior,

As I've stated elsewhere,

these UN discussions are a piece in the grand charade, amidst stalling tactics, the West are going through the proverbial motions to assume 'Diplomatic Avenues', whilst in reality they are engaged in the War already,

If the "Rebels" Overthrow the Government the West substitute in their Puppet 'Leader', if the Government utilizes their "Chemical Weapons" it's just further justification to engage in intervention,

The longer the the West continue these Diplomatic Charades the longer they have for the Violence on either side to escalate

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

i think western powers will secretly fund this uprising bloodshed so as to avoid a continental war.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The eastern countries are finally telling the west that they cannot do as they please to their personal benefit...

We have to face it, there must be some economic or war strategic interest for western countries (either in syria itself or because of its proximity to something else) it has nothing to do with humanitarian reasons... if it were merely for the humanitarian reasons, the west would have been doing something about the many african conflicts causing mass deaths...

The easter countries are proving to the west that they are absolutely cold and callous and that they are 2 faced... plain and simple...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
As expected, another sad day for Syria

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Russia/China
Tossers both!

Hope the rebels win quickly thus saving some innocent lives.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

That's working out real well for Libya there, eh? I hope the rebels prove the pattern wrong and actually do good...but I look at Libya and weep for the Syrian people. I don't think they win no matter how this turns out. There but for the grace.........

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I have no solid evidence, but I am guessing that the Syrian opposition is just as bad as the Assad regime. They are in all likelihood western trained and armed destructive assholes like in Libya.

I just don't know what to believe about the situation though. I don't know what portion of the news I hear from Syria is truth, and what portion is spin or outright lies.

All I know that can help me make sense of this stuff is the fact that this scenario basically happened before in Libya and Hilary Clinton Destroyer of Worlds is very interested in regime change in Syria
edit on 19-7-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

This is where our relationship with Russia and China begins to noticeably fall.

At its ends, in 2037, the war plummeted the world into a chaos it had not known yet. Bombs never used dropped and from them waves of death emanated outward to swallow up life. Lights of intolerable brightness filled the sky and blinded those below them. All communications were cut and the world was blanketed in a silence. Machines for which there were not words only years before now rumble across stale broken streets and hushed orders are heard from squads of men sent out to seek points of interest and secure what's left. The trees blow in the wind but there're no birds on their branches anymore, their corpses pepper the ground and their songs are not heard. The cries of the desperate grow fainter now and as I peer out from my refuge into the world outside I envy the dead.

Ok I'm being dramatic. But this can't be good if this is viewed as unacceptable by western powers.
edit on 19-7-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
They should have say
We will go take care of the syria situation
and help Assad to resolve the conflict and restore order

are they waiting to Nato to do it in their place .. apparently not
since they vetoed again for a third time

what are Russia and China waiting for
the first Nato strikes .. so they can unleash their big red army ?

Syria : The Real Situation
edit on 7/19/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

leading to accusations that Russia is protecting the Syrian regime.

Errm, Russia has said from the very start they wont allow Syria to be overthrown in the style Libya was. Their stance has been crystal clear from the very start.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

This has been a rag tag group of rabble, begging for international help for over 13 months. Perhaps if people can't manage a revolution alone, it's because the support they dream they have from the population really is a fantasy.

No offence, that image is just funny as hell.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join