It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libya Election Success for Secularist Jibril's Bloc

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Libya Election Success for Secularist Jibril's Bloc

www.bbc.co.uk

Results from Libya's first elections since the overthrow of Col Gaddafi have shown gains for an alliance of parties seen as broadly secular.

The National Forces Alliance, led by ex-interim Prime Minister Mahmoud Jibril, has won 39 out of 80 seats reserved for political parties.

The Muslim Brotherhood's party has gained 17.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
So, despite all the noise on ATS over the past year from some quarters about how the West's support for the rebels was helping Jihadists in Libya, seems none of that has come to pass.

In fact, it is worth noting that Libya is the only country of the Arab Spring that managed to oust their leaders that hasn't turned Islamist with their new Government.

Apparently, the young voters generally shied away from anyone who had a religious platform and the feeling is that Jihadi's had hijacked the Arab Spring.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
75% of the libyan population did not vote.Many libyan online forums called for boycott.And heavy fighting in Sirte and western and southern libya continues.

Mostly the population of Benghazi did participate and what is notable that the al qaeda revolt started from Benghazi .

edit on 19-7-2012 by ludwigvonmises003 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ludwigvonmises003

We only have your word on that, Ludwig and to be honest, you're one of those that trumped the whole Islamist angle for the past year.

Election Commission figures put turnout at 62%, which is better than many Western Democracies to be honest.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ludwigvonmises003
And heavy fighting in Sirte and western and southern libya continues.

No, it doesn't. There is sporadic clashes here and there between different militias, but hardly "heavy fighting".

Originally posted by ludwigvonmises003
Mostly the population of Benghazi did participate and what is notable that the al qaeda revolt started from Benghazi .

That makes no sense. If that was the case, surely we'd see them take the election by storm. This is the opposite of what we're seeing.

You're just trying to desperately validate your argument, and failing.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I suggest you start reading online african newspapers.

www.i4u.com...
www.i4u.com...
za.news.yahoo.com...

Some citizen reporting by average Libyans:
libyasos.blogspot.com/p/news.html

libyaagainstsuperpowermedia.com...

Pretty much a boycott in Sirte and western libya.

And fights are not being documented by mainstream western media,while african media is doing much more reporting.

allafrica.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
www.thenational.ae...

NTC has no control over Libya,Tribal militias do ...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Did you actually read your own links?

First off, this one is of course a Pro Qaddafi online rag. So anything they have to say is suspect.
libyaagainstsuperpowermedia.com...

The others

Your sources..

Families in the Libyan city of Sirte refuse to vote in the first free election until the government fixes their damaged homes. Deborah Lutterbeck reports.

TRIPOLI, LIBYA Fears of militia violence and calls for a boycott threatened Friday to mar Libya’s first nationwide parliamentary election, a milestone on the oil-rich North African nation’s rocky path toward democracy after the ouster of dictator Moammar ...

And this last one of your source talks about Tribal issues.

Sebha — Libya's Toubou and Ouled Sliman tribes are currently caught in a raging ethnic conflict. Or so it has seemed. Upon closer observation, our correspondent finds the feud is more about the control of strategic routes and migration flow than ethnicity.

edit on 19-7-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   

From your own sources, headlines such as this:

"Fears of violence, calls for boycott threaten Libyan election" - Only 1 person killed in the end with some sort of clash between militia outside a polling station..

Libya's ballot outcome

Source: Middle East North Africa Financial Network

(MENAFN - Khaleej Times) LIBYANS HAVE voted on policy circumference rather than tilting on ideologues. This is a moment of celebration in the North African country where people for the first time in almost four decades experienced the right ...

Libya's independents might emerge as third power

Source: The Seattle Times

Libya's elections have brought in a large new political generation of independents - businessmen, activists, former judges and former exiles - who form the largest bloc in the first elected national assembly

Liberals gain edge in Libya vote

Libya’s liberal coalition beat Islamist parties in the first poll since the ouster of Moammar Gadhafi, according to results unveiled on July 17, but it remained unclear who will dominate the next congress.

The National Forces Alliance, a liberal coalition led by wartime Prime Minister Mahmud Jibril, gained 39 of 80 seats open to parties in the General National Congress, the first elected authority after more than four decades of dictatorship, Agence France-Presse reported. The Justice and Construction Party, which was launched by Libya’s Muslim Brotherhood, took only 17 seats.

Seems to me you just typed in "Libya election violence" and posted whatever links came to hand, without actually reading the articles. Not surprised though, Ludwig. It is what you do, after all.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Well,both of you might find this interesting:

The official story for the Libyan election has already been written. Even before the count is fully complete, newspaper headlines from London to Sydney to New York are hailing the triumph of a liberal party over the Islamists. Few of them notice or care that these election results seem to neatly reflect the agreement made between the Muslim Brotherhood and the National Forces Alliance before the election even took place.

While the media does its best to spin the election as a setback for the Muslim Brotherhood, it is nothing of the kind. Libya is the second country that Obama has delivered into the hands of the Brotherhood with Syria set to be the third. The Libyan election was a public show of support for a coalition that predated the election. A coalition in which the Muslim Brotherhood is set to play the 800-pound gorilla.

No media outlets noted that the Libyan military had been put on full alert through the election or that a helicopter belonging to the electoral commission came under anti-aircraft fire in the civil war burning behind the scenes of the phony transition. There are few mentions of the independence protests and the shooting of independence protesters by state security forces, and even fewer mentions of the ballots burned, multiple attacks on polling places and firefights between armed gunmen.

The media has its hand-fed story and will be sticking to it. Unfortunately there are some problems with their story.

For one thing the National Forces Alliance is neither liberal nor secular. Rather, it describes itself as moderate Islamist. And it isn’t a political party, but a bloc of around 60 parties and hundreds of civil and national organizations, ranging from tribal groups to soccer clubs. The goal was to create as broad a coalition as possible, and we won’t find out exactly who is in the alliance until much later. It is a safe bet that a group that broad includes terrorists and people too ugly for even Obama to shake hands with.

Describing a coalition of that size and scope as liberal is journalistic malpractice. It also isn’t remotely true.
frontpagemag.com...

Daniel Greenfield, a Shillman Journalism Fellow at the Freedom Center, is a New York writer focusing on radical Islam. He is completing a book on the international challenges America faces in the 21st century.

The central purpose of the Libyan election is to maintain the illusion of stability even as the fighting goes on. Benghazi, the “cradle of the revolution,” whose clashes with Gaddafi’s forces were used by Obama to justify the bombing of Libya, is still at war. The Libyan provisional government has already threatened that it will use force to suppress the Cyrenaica National Council, which seeks autonomy for Eastern Libya.

Benghazi may be bad, but Tripoli isn’t that much better. There is still gunfire in the Libyan capital and rogue militias are out there looting and raiding. Unlike the Egyptian election, the Libyan election is not about finalizing a government. Its goal is to unite as many groups as possible behind a version of the existing authorities in order to calm the situation.

The Libyan election was a farce which saw the NFA and the Muslim Brotherhood join together for a sham election whose true purpose is soliciting Western money while uniting to crush eastern separatists. It is not a step forward for democracy, but a return to tyranny.

All from my source

I was in Finland yesterday on an conference for new investment opportunities and in the Q&A the libya investment situation was raised. investors are not willing to return to Libya as they are of the conclusion that Libya continues being in a civil war between militias.

-----------
Its a shame that people here are islamist sympathizers.And Frontpagemag is a conservative source.Stumason please tell why independent analysts are calling the Libyan election a sham? I am on the fence about the sham election allegation ,but I do happen to know that Libya continues to be in a strong civil war .Transnational Investors are smarter than peasants you should know that.

The media has its hand-fed story and will be sticking to it. Unfortunately there are some problems with their story.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

None of what your article purports to be "unreported" in the Western MSM is unreported. The BBC covered the helicopter being shot at, the independence/autonomy movement in both the East and towards the West was covered well and the sporadic clashes reported in the run up to the election.

You appear to be trying to pain an image of some sort of media blackout. This may be true in the US, where their media sucks arse, but it isn't the same here matey. The BBC is covering it quite well and even Syria they are trying to cover both sides, running stories that run counter to the FSA line and support the Syrian Government position, for example the recent "massacre" the rebels claimed was done by the Government, the BBC ran the story that it would appear they attacked dug in rebel positions and all the signs are of heavy fighting between two armed groups, not the senseless killing of one.

I suggest you take your blinkers off mate, as your blinding yourself with your own anti-western rhetoric. You can't even pull a decent source out of your arse.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   

I wouldn't crow anytime soon, I cannot see anything other than a military dictatorshiop / authoritarian rule, or a religiusly fundamental leadership

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   

BBC ?? have they covered the REAL magnitude of the Libor scandal and its relation with Interest rate swaps?the magnitude in terms of damages is from the 10 of trillions to hundreds of trillions. The narco trade and the elitist links?no. But they do give coverage to islamist propaganda outlets.

There are three kind of people:

1)Sheep
2)conspiracy realist/theorist
3)investor class

Normally,investor class has good knowledge in terms of whats happening where,even conspiracy theorists do ,but its distorted .Libya continues to be in civil war,and its not the rosy image your BBC propaganda apparatus is giving.

And anti-west,not,but I am anti warfare and anti-imperialist type.Pro-Ron Paul.But anti-monarchy yes.

both the East and towards the West was covered well and the sporadic clashes reported in the run up to the election.

Its worse than sporadic. Do you read what independent analysts have to say?? But I guess its above your paygrade considering that you are not investor class like me.Maybe you should read what former international forecaster Bob Chapman had to say ,because his newsletter is cheap.Even Stephen Lendman does not know everything. and You are supporting FSA wahabbis right??Well its understandable as Britain created Saudi Arabia ,a wahabbi country of madness.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Frontpagemag:

FrontPage Magazine (also known as FrontPageMag.com) is a conservative online political magazine, edited by David Horowitz and published by the David Horowitz Freedom Center (DHFC; formerly, the Center for the Study of Popular Culture), a non-profit organization in Los Angeles, California.
Contents

Still way more decent that your monarchy's propaganda outlet BBC.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

Same here.And it was the consensus of investors that Libya will continue being instable for a long time.But tertiary nanopolymer recovery and LPG fracking are hot topics and I do expect them to revolutionise tight oil and mature oil field recovery.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

Sorry man,talked about investment with a layman.But I am jolly good with Rum.I am loving it.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Nobody said anything about the BBC painting a "rosy picture". It's anything but rosy, in fact. I'm just pointing out the fallacy in your argument that the Western Media doesn't mention things, when in actual fact they do. This is what your basing your argument on and it has shown to be rather flawed.

You also seem to have quite the superiority complex, painting yourself as an investor, then proceeding to say anyone but the "investor" class is clueless and, by association, calling me a sheeple. Pretty standard MO for someone without much to say, first offer a strawman and when that fails, attack the person.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Superiority complex? Not.But independent analysts are talking otherwise.And your state propaganda apparatus does not document things that are sensitive to a certain image.Like it or not.Most of the western media for commoners are on the same boat. Only heavily paid media or independent analysts are listing the facts these days.Have you even used Thomson Reuters Enterprise Platform? I guess not.

and what are your credentials??
BBC propaganda archive documenting website:
bpc-world.co.uk...

BBC is a state media channel and thereby biased and is known to write propaganda.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Not surprising after all he is our puppet the moment i saw pictures of him in last year i knew he was going to be selected not elected.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I am not surprised to see stuntman and slayer agreeing with Jibril's Bloc.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join