It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are the lightning bugs?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I'm smack dab in the middle of the midwest. I remember in past years a multitude of fireflies (lightning bugs) making appearances around this time of year. Strangely, I haven't seen any that I've noticed yet this summer season. I saw them back in March...which was kinda strange...but where are they now? It's 8:45 pm on a summer night...and no lightning bugs? I hear cicadas calling...and tree frogs...but don't see any lighting bugs???

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
There are very few here. I just went out side to check. I had not noticed it just I read your thread. So what is it now, a mass lightning bug die off.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
There are more here where I am than I can ever remember! This place is loaded with them, my guess is the weather may have affected their "zones".
My little boy and all the neighbor kids are having a blast catching them though. That brings back fond memories.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

Crazy! I probably would not have even noticed. But, when taking my trash out tonight, I saw none...then got to thinking that I haven't seen any around here at all this year. In March, was about 110 miles north...

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I get plenty here in michigan.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I travel all over the country ive only had a couple splat on my windshield...should be a couple an hour....it is odd....

I keep finding dragonflies in my radiator though. Im in texas at the moment

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
we've got a few where i am

my guess is their zones as posted above have changed.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I've only seen a small few, just a lone one here and there. I was wondering the same thing, because there should be a whole ton of them. SOMETHING has happened that caused them to disappear.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Question should be: Why did they move away?

I remember them in Michigan, never saw them in NC, but now I hear alot of reports of them in out west where they shouldnt be.Havent seen them yet, but hear they are close.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by edaced4

I live out in the boonies and ever since i can remember there have been thousands if not hundred of thousands every year this time of year. It was so awesome I would use it as a romantic setting for the ladies.... they loved it what can I say if it aint broke lol. This year is a dismal one for my lil fluoresent wing men (thanks guys good times). I believe it has to due with the irregular weather patterns this year , at least in michigan. It was cold, hot, chilly, then sweltering on top of drought. The little guys need water to, mosqitoes have been down as well. Gotta take the bad with the good. Hope they bounce back it just rained for the first time in months here and it rained good so we will see.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by edaced4

Your right.. middle of MO and no fire flys.. hummmmmmmmm Just wrong.......

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
North central Ohio here. Lightning bugs are out in droves here. All is normal.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by smirkley

They moved because our "LINES" have changed.. the jet stream is different..just like the surface rings/lines of Jupiter have changed so have ours.. everything is different now.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by edaced4

Right now, here, they are hiding from the rain. We have them around, though. Not as many it appears this year as last, but then, last year I was surrounded by soy bean plants. This year it's all corn and the corn always hides most of their activity.

link   
i've thought the exact same thing this year, and i'm in richmond virginia.

maybe it's the weather? weak winter with hot summer? a lot of insects depend on the temperatures and conditions in the winter to produce & thrive in the spring/summer.

link   
I was thinking the very same thing the last few years. I presented the question to many people here in the midwest and the common answer was:

"Oh yeah! Didn't even notice they were gone --but you're right. Where are they? Now that you mention it, I haven't seen one in a long time."

Or something to that effect. It is a puzzle!

Up until the Millennium, or so, you saw them almost every night in the summer. But I'd say, since, well around 9/11 or so they've been disappearing each year little by little. No, I'm not connecting, or trying to connect, 9/11 with the disappearance of lightning bugs! Just using a well-known date as a base level for reflection.

But yeah, they have disappeared drastically. Maybe it has something to do with chemtrails, who knows. Their disappearance matches up well with the increase with the chemtrails appearances from 2002 onward. So, maybe.

I'd like to know what is happening to them though.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CitizenJack

And that's another thing...mosquitoes...usually have to fend them off with blow torches, OFF and just going inside. Not as bad this year...so far...

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by edaced4

I'm in Kentucky and we've had lots here this summer... more than normal I think. Maybe they all came here, lol! I saw them earlier in the year than normal this year... much earlier than usual. They aren't as abundant now as they were a month or so ago, but they're still here.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I am in central Texas, I miss them this year, I have not seen any at all.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I think your mosquitoes must have made their way here as well, haha! They're HORRIBLE!!! You aren't missing ants, by any chance are you? Because if so, I know where they are! ;oP Seriously, the amount of ALL bugs has increased here this year! It's insane!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join