It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are the lightning bugs?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I haven't seen any this year, very weird

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by edaced4

We live in a suburban neighborhood in southern Ohio (Cincinnati)...and we have had plenty of lightning bugs this year (more numerous than last). Also, the frogs have been out in force...with plenty of eggs and tadpoles ending up in our front yard fountain.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Where are the lightning bugs?

I have kidnapped them all.
I will release my randsom demands in good time.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Over the last few years in my neck of the midwest the fireflies have almost disappeared. There used to be thousands at night, now i'm lucky to see a handful.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Not sure where they are, but here in Oregon I have noticed the ground hornets aka yellow jackets are not around at all. I have watched them fro 8 years here at my place and they usually show up in numbers all summer long to chew on my deck railing. Nada so far....

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
when i was a kid i remember seeing lots of lightning bugs in hot summer nights here in portugal (we call them pirilampos due to the yellow light they emit).

haven't seen one for the past 10 years or so, same with crickets i stopped hearing the familiar sound of crickets in the summer nights. has anyone noticed it too?

whats happening with these bugs? are they becoming extinct?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CitizenJack

I am in Mich. and we got lots of here. Also dragonflies, lots of them also.

I ride a motorcycle a lot, one thing I did notice as being missing was June bugs. I live in the sticks and would get

blasted if I rode home after dark. Don't miss the welts, those little buggers hurt at 70 mph.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by imawlinn

Posting from PA, there are still tons of them here as every other year as well. Brings back great memories of childhood going out at night to catch them in a jar to watch it light up and then let them all go by morning to go about their business. Such an easy fascination for a child! It's quite funny now watching our new puppy trying to catch them as they fly up from the grass (I don't let him though, they deserve life rather than being between a puppy's jaws) .

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by edaced4

I have tons here in Florida

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Midwest here, I've only seen a few this year. Last yr when I was living in central NY they would light up entire fields, thousands of them, it made for a very cool light show after work.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Since I'm a pizza delivery guy (by necessity, not necessarily by choice
) I get to spend quite a bit of the evening time out in the open, so to speak. I made a special point tonight to make myself look, just to make sure I was not really losing my mind. During the whole evening, I saw one. It's really strange (to me at least) how some places have fireflies in abundance, and others have few to none...

Fireflies used to the pinnacle of the summer season for me. As a child, I would be just like every other child and catch them, putting them in jars just to watch them climb out of the holes that I had made...

Thanks to all who have replied!

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by edaced4

I saw a bunch last night, actually. It rained a bit, where I am from. After the storms came, and went, there was at least 60, in the back yard. Brought a smile to my face. Of course, my youngest was trying to catch them......

Im in Wisconsin.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by edaced4

They are dying off...just like crickets and especially Frogs and Snakes. I too have noticed that where I could at one time look across vast fields as see thousands of Flashes of Lightning Bugs...especially in HOT JULY...there are almost none now to be seen.

In the Spring...during a rain...I could at one time see...all sorts of Frogs and Toads crossing the road as I drove at night...hopping across the road as far as I could drive...now...nothing.

When I was young and would cut lawns...it was almost impossible not to accidentally Kill a Snake that would be in the grass. There would be all sorts of snakes and Turtles and Salamanders of all kinds...but Acid Rain is killing their Eggs as well as Ponds and Lakes becoming so Acidic that Fish Eggs as being destroyed and I have not seen a Polly Wog in a very long time.

The one animal that seems to be making a strong recovery is Birds of Prey and I see Bald Eagles, Various types of Hawks, Various Owls, Falcons and a Huge number of Turkey Vultures as well as Turkeys. I live in Mass. as the Deer population is out of control as there are not enough Hunters. We also have the return...in SPADES of Black Bear, Wild Turkey, Rabbits, Raccoon, Moose and although the Mass. Dept. of Wildlife will not admit this....MOUNTAIN LIONS as not only have I seen their tracks and kills but I and many others have seen the Lions. Two Lions were reported in nearby Conn. and one was killed by a CAR.

Split Infinity

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by edaced4
I'm smack dab in the middle of the midwest. I remember in past years a multitude of fireflies (lightning bugs) making appearances around this time of year. Strangely, I haven't seen any that I've noticed yet this summer season. I saw them back in March...which was kinda strange...but where are they now? It's 8:45 pm on a summer night...and no lightning bugs? I hear cicadas calling...and tree frogs...but don't see any lighting bugs???

Certain areas have higher concentration of pesticides and herbicides.

Good odds this is what is killing them off, and us as well.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

Thanks for the song - I hadn't heard it before, and I loved it.

Here in central VA - my husband and I were just talking about this. The lightning bugs showed up very early, then that was it. We've only seen a couple since early spring.

But the freaking FLEAS - Good God I've never seen them this bad. We've had our awesome Garfield type cat (Leo) for 11 years, and in all that time he has never had a flea problem - until now. We've always put the drops on the back of his neck, and that's all it took. This year, the drops weren't cutting it, so finally we tried a flea bath (which I don't think he will EVER forgive us for) - but that only worked for the first day. We finally found a flea collar that seems to be helping, (I guess the collar, along with all the other stuff) and we're getting a handle on the fleas in the yard by using the spray you hook up to the hose, and then we went back over the yard with sevin dust the next day. We wound up having to fog the inside of the house 3 times - and then I went back and put flea powder on everything. After doing this routine twice, I am finally sitting here not getting bitten. I absolutely hate using all of these chemicals on my cat, on the lawn and in my home - but we did not have a choice. We thought we were going to have to move - it was THAT bad.

Anyway - thanks for the thread, OP. Strange days indeed.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by oldkawguy

I hear ya about the dragonflies no problem there or with crickets as another poster stated earlier in this thread.

Its not like the lightning bugs are extinct around me but where I am at thier numbers are way down.

And about the junebugs I may have seen three all year. But thats fine by me and all you riders im sure lol.
edit on 20-7-2012 by CitizenJack because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-7-2012 by CitizenJack because: typo yo, on my phone

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
No June bugs or wood bee's here this yr, but my fireflies are amazing!
Saw the babies in May, very cute. I'm guessing it's because I don't spray anything in the yard? Also have loads of honey bee's and the bumble bees as well.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Got all the lightning bugs and frogs you could want here in panhandle Florida.

Both are in great abundance. Had more bees this year too than I've seen in a while, and the bats seem to be making a comeback.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join