It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Takei's blog on the BSA reaffirmation of the ban on LGBT Scouts & Leaders

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
They have no idea that there are many writings out there that were from the exact same authors as books that are included that were excluded.

Plus - the first translations were done by novice Monk scribes (most people were illiterate). If your whole life is about God - - you are going to see God in everything. If actual words were "a metallic globe descended from the sky" - - - you're gonna get "angels with golden wings descended from the Heavens". There is extreme God bias in those translations.

It also just makes absolutely no sense to me that if someone's life is centered on something, why they don't try to find out as much as they possibly can about it... the history, the formation, alternatives, languages, all of it ... but they just take what their little hillbilly preacher tells them and run with it... makes no sense at all

The absolute worst part is that group doesn't even expect their preachers to attend seminary so at least HE can learn if they're not going to, but they don't. A guy just wakes up one morning and says "Oh, I think I'll be an evangelistic minister now"... and they let him!!!

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

It also just makes absolutely no sense to me that if someone's life is centered on something, why they don't try to find out as much as they possibly can about it... the history, the formation, alternatives, languages, all of it ... but they just take what their little hillbilly preacher tells them and run with it... makes no sense at all

I did. At one time I considered being a Christian minister.

But I wanted truth. I wanted to find factual information about "biblical mythical Jesus". There isn't any.

That's why I am Atheist.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
While the boyscouts are working hard to exclude people and dying off as an organization, the girlscouts are on the forefront of technology!

dailyindependent.com...

OLIVE HILL — Girl Scouts at Camp Cardinal went somewhere no Kentucky Girl Scouts before them have gone: to near space.

On Thursday, with the help of engineers at Kentucky Space, the scouts launched a high-altitude balloon as the culmination of months of collaboration between the scouts the non-profit Kentucky Space and Morehead State University’s Space Science Center.

Sounds like they need to get their priorities in order since the girls are beating them out!

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

While the boyscouts are working hard to exclude people and dying off as an organization, the girlscouts are on the forefront of technology!

Well - - the Christians (especially Mormons) own the "godly" Boy Scouts.

And the Girl Scouts are evil - - teaching women to be promiscuous - lesbians - and fem-nazis.

At least according to some Right Wing Fundamental Baptist sites.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Well - - the Christians (especially Mormons) own the "godly" Boy Scouts.

And the Girl Scouts are evil - - teaching women to be promiscuous - lesbians - and fem-nazis.

At least according to some Right Wing Fundamental Baptist sites.

If they keep it up, they're going to fade into obscurity while the girls lead the way into space exploration!

.... I have a special interest in the geographical area involved here on Earth

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Firing of gay staffer leads 10 to quit in support

By Ed Fletcher

Tension over the Boy Scouts of America's anti-gay policy reached the Sacramento region this week after 10 members of an area summer camp staff walked out in response to the firing of a gay staff member.

Local BSA officials said the young man was fired not because he is gay, but because he failed to heed repeated requests to dress appropriately for camp. Specifically at issue were his painted fingernails and earring, although one senior official said there were also complaints about his mannerisms and behavior.

Tim Griffin, a 22-year-old Eagle Scout, said he was aghast at being fired Friday morning after eight years on the seasonal staff at Camp Winton in Amador County.

"I definitely think that the reaffirmation of the anti-gay policy played a role in my termination," Griffin said. The BSA announced last week that it was keeping its policy banning gays.

After the week's campers left Saturday morning, 10 of about 30 camp staff members resigned to show support for Griffin. The summer camp closes in two weeks. Read more here: www.sacbee.com...=cpy

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Almost all caught up on posts.

Ookie

Again, The sexual urge to be with one of your own sex is gay. Does not matter how old the person is. I can not accept that messing with someone of the same sex is not gay. I think it is a smoke screen put up by gays so they won't be included with the pedophiles. They do not want to admit that there are some among their ranks that are slightly more perverted than they are. They feel they should not be associated with them. But they are. Sandusky was a gay. He did not molest girls. The wife was a smokescreen to hide his being gay in a sport where that is very frowned upon.

It is all mental illness and they need treatment. But pretty much all gays have been fooled into thinking they are not mentally ill and do not need treatment. I constantly have the urge to blow up cities with enormous bombs. But I don't because that is wrong. I am able to control my urges. I have never hurt anyone (since I was a teenager, I hurt a LOT of people when I was young). Gays should control theirs. If they can't then they need help. Not encouraged and coddled and told they are normal.

Pedophiles are not the same as homosexuals. That's like saying all heterosexuals are Necrophiliacs. It's apples to oranges.

Homosexuality is not mental illness either. God created homosexuals and fully intended on them to have same sex relations just like he created homosexuals with the full intention of them being able to use their legs.

Having the constant urge to blow up cities with enormous bombs, ya that's something you need to seek treatment for. That is not normal and can potentially harm a lot of people. A man having sex with another man does NOT hurt anybody. If someone is doing something where it does not cause harm to themselves or another human being then they should be allowed to do it BUT if someone does something that hurts themselves or others then it should not be allowed. Plain and simple. A man having sex with another man does not effect you at all so why care?

Gays are normal just like African Americans are normal. Homosexuality is a difference in a person just like Ethnicity is a difference in a person. It doesn't make them abnormal. They are still human and deserve the same rights as everyone other human. There are animals out there who act on their homosexual nature and they have no way to comprehend what they are doing and chose to do it or not.

PurpleChiten

With that being said, we need to ensure that we are at least a "safe country" and ensure that each and every citizen is safe to pursue happiness in whatever way they possibly can that doesn't harm someone else...As long as they are not physically harming another person, have at it.

However, when their desires are to keep others from having any possibility for happiness, when their desires are to see harm come to others, when their desires put others in danger, then it's not ok. One person's "rights" end where another person's rights begin. The right of the individual to practice the religion of their choosing ends when it physically harms another person who isn't involved in their religion. The extremist fundamentalist evangelicals want to force other people to think and do as they say. They want to force homosexuals into suicide. That's their goal. They won't allow them happiness, they won't allow them sexual expression, they expect them to "act straight" but that's not who they are. They are homosexuals that have a sexual preference for others adults of the same gender. As long as both of those people are consenting, then they should have every right (and responsibility) that two people of opposite genders have. THAT is what homosexuals want. They want equality.

Amen. That is basically what I always say: as long as what you do does not harm yourself or others then it should be allowed but if something you do does harm yourself or others then it should not be allowed.

I've loved so much of what you have said, especially the fact that you are not a LGBT. This also goes for those who have been defending homosexuality, especially those that are not LGBT. There have been some really great things said that I'm so glad were said. When I read something negative I think about what I would say and then scroll down and see that someone like Annee or PurpleChiten (quick examples but not limited to just them) responded with what I would have said and sometimes better.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
...Continued....

As I have said in my later posts, I am bi sexual and I do believe in a higher power that created everything, whether its name is God or something else, and that higher power did create Homosexuals and that it is not a sin to act out on your homosexual desires so long as you are not harming yourself or anyone else. Don't bother quoting scripture to me as I do not believe that the words in that book are still the true words of God. It has been translated how many times? Plus when translating old laungages sometimes you do not know the words exact meaning so you have to guess by the context of the sentence or even paragraph. Other times there can be more then one meaning for the translation (two, to, too) and they have to again guess by the context. I also believe that Man too has tampered with the bible adding in things to suit their needs and also cause a division amgonst the people in order to remain in control. (divide and conquer)

Why should there be a group just for heterosexuals, just for homosexuals, for African Americans, for minority groups basically, when there should just be one group that allows everybody who follows the Golden Rule of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" and is loving, is accepted into the group. That is really how this world needs to be, a united group not a bunch of groups of people. That is how our Governments have made us, divide groups of minorites because that way we are weak and powerless. If we were united as one then we are powerful and can achieve anything we set our minds to like ending world hunger, poverty, having a proper education system and justice in the Justice System.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
**Fully Caught Up**

TKDRL

Not thinking that a private club should change their standards to pander to a minority does not equal hatred. Most parents of girl scout troops would not feel comfortable sending their girls out to camp with boys, men or lesbians. Most parents of boy scouts would not feel comfortable sending their boys out to camp with girls, women or gay people. That's reality, and I can understand that. Most parents still feel it's not proper to leave their kids with male babysitters, especially if there are daughters involved. Yeah, sexist, but that is reality.
If it was not reality, then there would be such an outcry from their members, that the upper management would have no choice but to change the policy, or lose a majority of the membership.

I never said anything about BoyScouts having to let Women, Lesbians, Bi-Sexuals females, watch over the boys. I'm saying there should be nothing wrong with allowing a homosexual man or homosexual boy into the Boyscouts. Yes I understand not wanting an adult women to watch young boys and vice verse, as outdated of thinking as it is I get it.

There is a difference between being homosexual and being a pedophile, in case you missed all the posts about it. Just because there is a Gay guy watching over a troop of young boys doesn't mean that the gay guy is going to molest the boys. That is like saying we shouldn't allow heterosexuals to be Morticians or Funeral Home Directors because they could be a Necrophiliac.

I know Christain Voice is no longer participating in this thread but I do have to respond to something that they posted

You need the education. Google AIDS, any unbiased site will tell you the same as I posted. In the early days of AIDS it was called Gay Related Immune Deficiency Syndrome (GRIDS).Of course a pro-homosexual site will say something to the contrary but facts are facts.
Anyone who knows about the history of AIDS knows that yes it was first called Gay Related Immune Deficiency Syndrome (GRIDS). Now tell me, why is it not called that anymore? Because it is not true therefor they can not call it something false.

AIDS was first clinically observed in 1981 in the United States.[21] The initial cases were a cluster of injection drug users and gay men with no known cause of impaired immunity showed symptoms of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP), a rare opportunistic infection that was known to occur in people with very compromised immune systems.[158] Soon thereafter, additional gay men developed a previously rare skin cancer called Kaposi's sarcoma (KS).[159][160] Many more cases of PCP and KS emerged, alerting U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and a CDC task force was formed to monitor the outbreak.[161] In the beginning, the CDC did not have an official name for the disease, often referring to it by way of the diseases that were associated with it, for example, lymphadenopathy, the disease after which the discoverers of HIV originally named the virus.[162][163] They also used Kaposi's Sarcoma and Opportunistic Infections, the name by which a task force had been set up in 1981.[164] In the general press, the term GRID, which stood for gay-related immune deficiency, had been coined.[165] The CDC, in search of a name, and looking at the infected communities coined "the 4H disease, " as it seemed to single out Haitians, homosexuals, hemophiliacs, and heroin users.[166] However, after determining that AIDS was not isolated to the gay community,[164] it was realized that the term GRID was misleading and AIDS was introduced at a meeting in July 1982.[167] By September 1982 the CDC started using the name AIDS
Wikipedia

Once again the MSM is to blame for aiding in the hate of a minority group. "Hate the gays, they give you AIDS."
edit on 26-7-2012 by knoledgeispower because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-7-2012 by knoledgeispower because: fixing formulas

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by knoledgeispower
Yes I understand not wanting an adult women to watch young boys and vice verse, as outdated of thinking as it is I get it.

Since rules are there has to be minimum of 2 adults in the presents of the scout.

What difference does it make? Maybe just a rule that one of them needs to be male.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Once again the MSM is to blame for aiding in the hate of a minority group. "Hate the gays, they give you AIDS."

The immune disease known in America as AIDS - - - - has been traced back to its origin in Africa from eating diseased monkeys. It was spread along trading routes.

It spread to America. How it spread is not relevant. If it hadn't been first noticed in the gay community - - it would have showed up somewhere else. It is a virus - - it did what viruses do.

People who are ignorant - - - choose to be ignorant. (don't mean you
)

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

The immune disease known in America as AIDS - - - - has been traced back to its origin in Africa from eating diseased monkeys. It was spread along trading routes.

It spread to America. How it spread is not relevant. If it hadn't been first noticed in the gay community - - it would have showed up somewhere else. It is a virus - - it did what viruses do.

People who are ignorant - - - choose to be ignorant. (don't mean you
)

Ya I remember hearing about the monkey thing when I was a kid and them saying it was because the guy had sex with a monkey

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Ya I remember hearing about the monkey thing when I was a kid and them saying it was because the guy had sex with a monkey

Ya - - it was a monkey.

But had nothing to do with sex.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Common misconception, that humans got aids from having sex with monkeys. Much like the bird flu, the aids virus simply evolved and jumped species.... Humans can get Avian Flu... do you think that means someone had sex with a bird?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact
Common misconception, that humans got aids from having sex with monkeys. Much like the bird flu, the aids virus simply evolved and jumped species.... Humans can get Avian Flu... do you think that means someone had sex with a bird?
I know there was no actual sex with monkeys, that's why I ended with the eye rolling smiley. I was 8 or 9 when kids were saying that, so I told my Mom and she lol'd and said what really happened.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

ummmmm..... no comment :X

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

It took me a minute to get that. You nasty little bird, you.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaylaluv

It took me a minute to get that. You nasty little bird, you.

a berd's gotta do whut a berd's gotta do

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I think this users video is very great about the subject.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Scout Wants Nothing to Do With the Group

BY Neal Broverman - July 30 2012

A suburban Chicago man joins a growing list of former Eagle Scouts renouncing their involvement in the homophobic group.

As a scout for 10 years and a troop leader for another decade, Rob Breymaier says he's long opposed the Scouts' antigay policy, refusing to kick out any gay Scouts in his group; he claims he was always hopeful the ban on gay and bi Scouts and leaders would soon come to an end. But when the organization recently reaffirmed the ban, Breymaier quit the organization and returned his medals to the group.

"I could always explain away that it was an old policy and that sooner or later, we’ll be able to force a vote on the issue," Breymaier told the Boston Herald. "But when this vote happened and they reaffirmed the policy, it was just too much. It was infuriating, embarrassing and upsetting."

www.advocate.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join