It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New book explores FOIA UFO documents - 'UFOs And Government: A Historical Inquiry'.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Whilst not openly promoting it (because it's against policy and I've not even read it) this new book by a collaboration of well respected UFO researchers looks to be quite an interesting one and deals with officially released UFO documentation by the U.S. Government.

Dr Michael Swords has made a few pages available at the link below and co-authors include such folks as Jan Aldrich, Barry Greenwood, Vicente-Juan Ballester Olmos and Bill Chalker who are all pretty knowledgeable chaps when it comes to Government UFO documentation and the U.S. Intelligence Agencies interaction with the UFO phenomenon.

UFOs And Government: A Historical Inquiry

The story, which is unmasked by the governments' own documents, explains much that is new, or at least not commonly known, about the seriousness with which the military and intelligence communities approached the UFO problem internally. Those approaches were not taken lightly. In fact, they were considered matters of national security. At the same time, the story reveals how a subject with such apparent depth of experience and interest became treated as if it were a triviality. And it explains why one government, the United States government, deemed it wise, and perhaps even necessary, to treat it so. Though the book focuses primarily on the U. S. government's response to the UFO phenomenon, also included is the treatment of the subject by the governments of Sweden, Australia, France, Spain, and other countries.

link

Excerpts:

link

edit on 29-9-2016 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Awesome. That's quite a lineup of contributors and a really interesting subject. Sounds to me like a new and improved Clear Intent. Haven't purchased a new book on the topic in a while, but this one's going on the list. Thanks, karl!

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Orkojoker

It's going on my list too mate (and Kandinsky's by the looks of it
)

Like the page about Swedish sightings at Michael Sword's link - Clas Svahn from UFO Sweden has done some great research over the years and there's an interesting paragraph in the document below about a visit by the USAF to the Swedish Air Intelligence Service.

It's also said Sweden has the largest UFO archive in the world with over 18,000 reports so his contribution to the book should be well worth a read.

When officers of this Directorate recently visited the Swedish Air Intelligence Service. This question was put to the Swedes. Their answer was that some reliable and fully technically qualified people have reached the conclusion that "these phenomena are obviously the result of a high technical skill which can not be credited to any presently known culture on Earth." They are therefore assuming that these objects originate from some previously unknown or unidentified technology,possibly outside the Earth.

link

Cheers.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

'With rare exceptions, the source documents portray a continual strategic manipulation of what the public should hear from government authorities about the phenomenon.'

Dr. Michael Swords

Billy Cox from the Herald Tribune discusses the book.. and speculates that not many people will actually read it.

The History We Don't Know.

What Swords does document, with formidable indexing, bibliography and appendix, are crimes not only against the scientific method, but against intellect as well. But in revisiting those flashpoints with entirely justified incredulity and indignation, Swords concentrates not so much on the baffling events as on the organizational reaction to them..

UFOs and Government belongs on those history shelves. Few will read it.

link

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up Karl, looking forward to it.
This is the stuff that got me interested in the first place, if nothing was going on....why all the cover ups and misdirection?

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Yet another intriguing thread from you. New recent stuff from Aldrich and Greenwood? (I had wondered if they were still alive!)
edit on 26-8-2012 by Saucerwench because: x

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
havent even heard this one

thanks Karl

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

It's a great book...one of those 'desert island' books if you had to choose 10 on the subject. It's a case of read, check the footnotes and maybe go and google for more information.

There's sometimes a view in ufology where, if you haven't read them all, you're not part of the conversation. Ufologists play this tune because a lot of them use the Con circuit and sell books. It's BS imo. This one is a book that is much better than most others and justifies the 'must have' idea.

On the downside, these large reference books don't land on Amazon at low prices, they only go up so it's a good idea to get it now whilst it's in stock. I mean look at some of Clark's books? $100s!

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Found this rather interesting talk by Richard Thieme, coauthor and content consultant on the book. Nothing especially groundbreaking, but a good, articulate lecture with some interesting points made by someone who seems well-informed on the topic. Particularly interesting if you enjoy the sociological aspects of the subject.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky

On the downside, these large reference books don't land on Amazon at low prices, they only go up so it's a good idea to get it now whilst it's in stock. I mean look at some of Clark's books? $100s!

Amen to that my friend, his 'UFO Encyclopedia' is nearly 150 dollars (so good call on that one) - haven't got a copy of 'UFOs And Government: A Historical Inquiry' yet but am saving up my pennies.

Muchas Felicitaciones on the MOD status BTW.
:

Originally posted by Orkojoker

Found this rather interesting talk by Richard Thieme, coauthor and content consultant on the book. Nothing especially groundbreaking, but a good, articulate lecture with some interesting points made by someone who seems well-informed on the topic. Particularly interesting if you enjoy the sociological aspects of the subject.

Orko -really enjoyed that presentation mate and many thanks for posting it - the more people that see it the better.

Cheers.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Google E-book Excerpts:

link

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12
Amen to that my friend, his 'UFO Encyclopedia' is nearly 150 dollars (so good call on that one) - haven't got a copy of 'UFOs And Government: A Historical Inquiry' yet but am saving up my pennies.

I'm about 300 pages in, and I can say without exaggeration that it is outstanding. In the Top 3 I'd say. Extraordinary coverage of the Colorado study. Lots of information I've never encountered elsewhere. Pick it up at the first opportunity!

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Orkojoker

Sure will do that my friend and after reading about the Australian RAAF reports on the Google Ebook page my interest is most definitely piqued.

Here's some wise words from Dr Swords about the importance of reading serious UFO literature and acquainting oneself with the facts, documents and specific incidents surrounding the UFO subject - too bad some people disagree.

Q. What can a single individual do?

A. Decide to be an honest seeker-of-the-truth rather than an emotionally driven questor for concepts which "feel profoundly meaningful" to one's personal hopes and desires.

B. Read the few scholarly books available which present the history & most incisive, rational thinking in the field; and keep up with the most scholarly journal literature.

C. Find, if possible, one of the few scholars, & learn & help & make a personal effort to actually contribute something rather than just talk.

D. Don't expect an abduction under each bed, nor a true UFO hiding in every black helicopter.

E. If something serious, like CUFOS or BAE, still exists, make a commitment to joining its circle actively.

F. Try to resist the temptation that you have found the final answer, & that no one else makes any sense.

Q. Advice for newcomers?

This isn't easy. Aristotle told Alexander the Great that "there was no Royal [easy] road to Mathematics". The same is true for UFOs. There are a few essential books:

Jacobs, The UFO Controversy in America;
Ruppelt, The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects;
Hynek, The UFO Experience;
NICAP, The UFO Evidence.

Others recommended:

Keyhoe's 1st 2 books;
Vallee's 1st 2 books;
Hall's Uninvited Guests;
Michel's 2 Books;
Clarke's Encyclopedia;
Greenwood & Fawcett's Clear Intent;
the 2 volumes of CUFOS scientific symposia;
a collection of the papers of James McDonald;
Bullard's large papers on CE4's etc.;
The Journal of UFO Studies;
Gotlib's BAE;
Paul McCarthy's thesis on James McDonald;
Alan Hendry's UFO Handbook;
Symposium on Unidentified Flying Objects by 1968 House of Representatives;
Rodeghier's catalog of E-M effects;
Phillips' catalog of landing traces

CUFON Interview with Michael Swords

Cheers.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Alejandro interviews co-author Robert Powell:

I am currently at 430th page and counting...soon near finish

edit on 5-9-2012 by uforadio because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by uforadio

Hiya G, I listened to the interview a while ago and enjoyed it. It reminded me that MUFON aren't the sum of their weakest members and that they still have people of integrity, experience and intelligence.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I read the complete book few days ago. Just put my review up on Amazon.
Here it is: www.amazon.com...
within the title: Exceptional Analytical Work.

Can't recommend it enough.

And here is Billy Cox series about the book (5 parts so far):
devoid.blogs.heraldtribune.com...

Best Wishes.
edit on 12-9-2012 by uforadio because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Heads up from Bill Chalker:

Tonight (Monday September 24) Australian Eastern Standard time from 6 pm for an hour as part of a UFO special programme on the US show Coast to Coast hosted by George Knapp Robert Powell, MUFON's research director and I will discuss the new book from Anomalist Books.

theozfiles.blogspot.no...

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12
Heads up from Bill Chalker:

Tonight (Monday September 24) Australian Eastern Standard time from 6 pm for an hour as part of a UFO special programme on the US show Coast to Coast hosted by George Knapp Robert Powell, MUFON's research director and I will discuss the new book from Anomalist Books.

theozfiles.blogspot.no...

Robert Powell and Bill Chalker from 1:20:00

During the third hour, ufologist Robert Powell detailed the evolution of US government interest in the UFO phenomenon. He noted that early studies appeared to be good faith attempts at solving the enigma. However, Powell pointed to the 1953 Robertson Panel as a turning point in UFO history, since the group's recommendations spawned an active debunking campaign to "demystify" the phenomenon. He also observed that lying to the public about official interest in UFOs, despite later FOIA releases disproving these claims, appears to be the standard operating procedure of the government. "By the time you release the documents, you have a new generation and they don't really care about what happened 50 years ago," he lamented.

In the final hour, UFO researcher Bill Chalker joined Powell for a discussion on the history of ufology in Australia. He recalled how the Australian government grappled with the UFO enigma in the mid-1960's and that the Air Forced actually dubbed them "unusual aerial sightings" as a way of avoiding the "flying saucer" stigma. According to Chalker, as the decade came to a close, official interest in the phenomenon by the Australian government slowed down via "a gradual process of almost intentional neglect." In modern times, he said, the subject is marginalized by the government and that when new sightings are reported they are actually "farmed out" to UFO groups to investigate.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

The video got off to a dry start but really Orkojoker, thanks for posting such an interesting and well done video., I really enjoyed it.

Way to go !!!

posted on Nov, 20 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

I'm about 300 pages in, and I can say without exaggeration that it is outstanding. In the Top 3 I'd say. Extraordinary coverage of the Colorado study.

Well it's gone on the Christmas list mate and look forward to reading about the Colorado study.

Here's quite an amusing newspaper article where it states the USAF were hiring 'UFO Scientists' in 1966 and the decision to award the contracts was based on a recommendation by the U.S. Air Force Scientific Advisory Board - shame they chose Dr Condon and shame he wasn't very objective.

Archive

Cheers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join