It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deputies shoot, kill man after knocking on wrong door

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Deputies shoot, kill man after knocking on wrong door

www.wesh. com

LAKE COUNTY, Fla. - Lake County Sheriff's Office deputies shot and killed a man they assumed was an attempted murder suspect on Sunday, but they now know they shot the wrong man.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+7 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Well, here is another post I am making in regard to the police issue. This is completely wrong! I hope that someone is actually charged for this but I doubt it. When the Lt. was interviewed his comment was, "well if you point a gun at a police officer, your going to get shot" Yea well they banged on the guys door at 1:30 am and never identified them selves. What did they expect, breakfast?

www.wesh. com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Here is a link to the interview
www.wesh.com...[ed itby]edit on 7/16/12 by xyankee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
That's scary stuff, if someone was banging on my door at 1:30 am, I'd answer with a gun in hand as well. I have one of those driveway alarms, it went off around 2 am one night while I was on the computer, grabbed the mossberg, whent out to find a raccoon slinking around. Glad it wasn't a cop.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

Are the police not required to identify themselves at some point? Obviously if they had, this man wouldn't have opened the door with a gun. He had no idea it was police banging on the door and was within his rights to protect his home.

+37 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Oh stop picking on the police. They do a dangerous job, butsing kids smoking fake pot, hassling drunks on their own front lawn. Saving innocent criminals by ignoring the good folk that ring in to complain and provide evidence of drugs - Hey lady, I don't care if you bought that crack to prove to us they're selling, you are in posession.. Jail time baby..

Leave the poor police alone, they have enough problems with dead people they've tazered. Strangled. Punched to death.

Leave the poor police alone, they opted to do a job that entailed a lot of danger but cry about it when they can't bash someone who may be violent.

Leave the poor police alone... they're just normal human beings... WHO SHOULD BE ABLE TO HOLD A HIGHER STANDARD OF CONTROL... but let their anger If You See Kay your day up.. and get away with it, for having a bad day..

Leave the poor police alone... they should have become god damned macdonald burger order takers... but no, they took on the specific role of being a law enforcer.. they will make mistakes? Isn't that what your tax dollars pay for?

Sure it is.... now shut up or I'll set the cops onto you.

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
Wheres the riot? Heads should roll. Guess he wasnt black.
Id answer with a 45 behind my back

I have a feeling you intended this to be an offensive or derogatory comment, but instead it really shows the apathy of white people doesn't it?

I mean, you cant really criticize black people in this way without showing that perhaps they have a greater sense of justice and Human rights than the average white person.

You're right, there should be massive anger amongst the community, but I guess they're not black, and they don't give a rats ass about their neighbor being gunned down by cops?

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Separate. Police. Prosecutorial. Authority.

This sort of thing is fomented by the current internally conflicted state of affairs. The police should have no internal self-investigative powers - it's a conflict of interest, direct and plain. The oversight authority of police should not be beholden to the police for their job success as is the case with the current district atty setup. The DA will not prosecute any cop he isn't forced to because his/her job depends on them.

You want actual oversight, separate it. Kill off IA. Appoint a separate commission at the state level to perform LEO oversight, whose success is judged by the number of cops they successfully prosecute. Rotate the staff constantly to reduce fraternization. Enforce draconian penalties on the oversight committee if caught doing less than their best. All the proceedings to be open by sunshine law.

That would go a long way toward getting my trust back.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by WildTurkey101
reply to post by xyankee

Are the police not required to identify themselves at some point? Obviously if they had, this man wouldn't have opened the door with a gun. He had no idea it was police banging on the door and was within his rights to protect his home.

Yeah, if you want to rob someone just knock on the door and shout "Police!" at 1am!

It's totally reasonable for an innocent person to NOT expect armed officers to be banging down the door in the middle of the night.

Even if they shouted Police, he has no reason to expect an armed contingency of the local mafia banging on his door. I would have answered in the same way, and they would have shot me, because they had the wrong house...

I fully expect this story to be buried by something else within a week. I doubt any of the "white folks" will utter a word about it, the senior officers will send them all off on a paid vacation while they shuffle some paperwork around and look half-busy, then they'll be back on the beat to gun down someone else in another five years. Maybe then this story will see the light of day again and people will be asking why no one was held accountable.

Of course, by then the senior officers who buried it and "helped out their buddy" will be retired, and the ones who should have been charged with manslaughter would have been promoted to those positions of authority ready to let their friends off the hook too.

edit on 16-7-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I have been noticing a trend here in FL, where the police say that they are justified in every situation. I mean that lately, it seems at least once a week they are shooting an unarmed man. In this case he was not unarmed but had every right to have a gun. The police made the first mistake when they were not 100% sure that this is where the suspect was. Then they ad the little tidbit so everyone knows that after they shot the guy they found drugs in his home. The don't say what, so if you ask me it was probably a small amount of pot. But that makes it ok to shoot him!

I thought that the reason we have the "innocent until proven guilty" is so we would rather "let 10 guilty cases get away, rather than put one innocent man in jail" Well with the way the police are doing there job, they never get the chance to prove there innocence in court. They just shoot first "BANG.... HOLD IT RIGHT THERE"

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by WildTurkey101

I thought that they were required, but I guess not. This is a really bad job on the part of the county and someone should pay the price but they will cover it up, just watch.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Why is it a first instinct to answer the door with a gun in hand?

Sure, it's 1:30... but there are any number of reasons why someone could knock on your door at 1:30 in the morning, and I'm going to say that "person in distress" or "Neighbour informing you that your house is burning" are more likely than "roving gang of Nazi rapists". I'm not saying that last is completely out of the question... just... why is everyone so quick to answer the door with a gun?

How about "Don't answer the door until you've confirmed the identity of the person on the other side."? I mean, that's what I was taught when I was 4. Don't open the door and assume you can protect yourself against whatever is on the other side, just because you've got a gun. Most people are STUPID with guns. STUPID. More likely to shoot their own testicle than to shoot a home invader.

I would expect that police would not have identified themselves as police because maybe they had no indication that someone was going to answer the door. Reply verbally first. Isn't that easier than shooting off a testicle trying to "stand your ground" against... whatever?

It's hard to be sympathetic based on known info. Stop pointing guns at people, stupid!

Edit: Not meaning to be unsympathetic to the guy who was shot...though it might have turned out different if he didn't answer the door with a gun in his hand. The ones of you who are still alive should consider exactly this story when someone knocks on your door at 1:30 in the morning, or we'll probably read about you here too.
edit on 16/7/2012 by CrikeyMagnet because: Addition of stuff.

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrikeyMagnet

What if he didn't? How would you know?

[alternative ending 1]
BANG BANG Open up!

yah what's up

POW POW POW stop POW halt POW hands up you POW POW arrrgh...thump.

Hey Ed - it's the wrong guy.

Aw, *. Ok, you got a hold out?

Yep, here you go. Ok, he opened the door with a gun, right?

You bet. Oh, and let's sprinkle a little crack on him too.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

What if he didn't? How would you know?

[alternative ending 1]
BANG BANG Open up!

yah what's up

POW POW POW stop POW halt POW hands up you POW POW arrrgh...thump.

Hey Ed - it's the wrong guy.

Aw, *. Ok, you got a hold out?

Yep, here you go. Ok, he opened the door with a gun, right?

You bet. Oh, and let's sprinkle a little crack on him too.

So... what's the answer then? Automated gun turrets to answer the door for you after 9 PM?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
Wheres the riot? Heads should roll. Guess he wasnt black.
Id answer with a 45 behind my back

Uhhhhhh... What?

So because he was white, there will be no riots?

Sad....

The cops doing this to anyone and getting away with murder is very very sad.

Trying to make this a racial issue......just stupid.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Sure, it's 1:30... but there are any number of reasons why someone could knock on your door at 1:30 in the morning, and I'm going to say that "person in distress" or "Neighbour informing you that your house is burning" are more likely than "roving gang of Nazi rapists". I'm not saying that last is completely out of the question... just... why is everyone so quick to answer the door with a gun?

How about "Don't answer the door until you've confirmed the identity of the person on the other side."? I mean, that's what I was taught when I was 4. Don't open the door and assume you can protect yourself against whatever is on the other side, just because you've got a gun. Most people are STUPID with guns. STUPID. More likely to shoot their own testicle than to shoot a home invader.

I would expect that police would not have identified themselves as police because maybe they had no indication that someone was going to answer the door. Reply verbally first. Isn't that easier than shooting off a testicle trying to "stand your ground" against... whatever?

It's hard to be sympathetic based on known info. Stop pointing guns at people, stupid!

Edit: Not meaning to be unsympathetic to the guy who was shot...though it might have turned out different if he didn't answer the door with a gun in his hand. The ones of you who are still alive should consider exactly this story when someone knocks on your door at 1:30 in the morning, or we'll probably read about you here too.
edit on 16/7/2012 by CrikeyMagnet because: Addition of stuff.

because if it is someone wanting to do you harm, the gun sitting on the night stand will be the last thing you think of before you die.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by WildTurkey101
reply to post by xyankee

Yes, they ARE. This is Law. Until a police officer IDs themselves as such, they are not an officer. Until a Citizen IDs themselves as the name on the ID, they are not that person.

The cops are in the wrong, the man had a Constitutional right to protect his home and family.
"Mama, remind me that is there is a knock on the door at 1:30 in the morning, and I get the pistol to see what it is.....remind me to pull back the hammer before I open the door." That way I can take one or two with me when they fire.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle
because if it is someone wanting to do you harm, the gun sitting on the night stand will be the last thing you think of before you die.

If they don't respond to the verbal challenge, then feel free to start the protection thing. Otherwise the last thing you think before you die is of how you could have avoided killing someone at your front door for waking you up. If it was seriously someone who wanted to come into your house, don't you think they'd have a better chance of doing that if you stayed asleep? I don't know about you... but I don't wake up people I intend to sneak up on.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

This is the way I view this situation. The police did not identify themselves; it was in the middle of the night; the young man thought someone was trying to break into his home; so he had a gun ready to defend himself.

I think when the police came through the door...they should have told him to put down the gun...given him a verbal warning...and then eventually they would have realized they had the wrong guy and he would still be alive.

It really upsets me that the police in FL are going to get away with this.

I feel badly for the young man's family and friends...they lost someone they love over a needless incident.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
There is definitely fault on both sides. Why did the guy answer the door if he didn't know who it was? Obviously his gun was no help for him. If he was trying to protect himself he did a piss-poor job at it.

If you are scared of the people at the door, you don't just swing it open holding a gun and get shot to death. You investigate a little, you ask who it is, you peek out another window. If you are going to open it, you make sure you are ready to shoot!

The guy should never have swung open a door to unknown parties and pointed a gun at them. Sure, the cops are not supposed to shoot the wrong guy, but if a cop thinks they are approaching an attempted murderer, and a guy fitting the description opens the door and points a gun at them, of course they are going to shoot.

It is a tragedy, but there is enough blame to spread around to everyone on this one.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join