It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Idea vs. Execution: which is more important?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
This is a question I have been pondering for some time, and I would love to see others' opinions on it.

Which is more important: having and idea, or executing that idea?

Personally, I fall to the side of execution. In my opinion, ideas do not matter without execution. We could sit around for years and come up with ideas, yet if we never execute them, they are meaningless.

What do you all think?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Execution for sure, no question about it, an idea is useless without action. Lead by example.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
Execution for sure, no question about it, an idea is useless without action. Lead by example.

Fits my thoughts exactly. However, I have heard a few people say the opposite; that without the idea, execution is nothing but running around like a headless chicken. I can see that side, also, but I still think it's execution.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Often enough, what's on paper, doesn't work out exactly as you might expect it to in real life.

Thus, execution.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Often enough, what's on paper, doesn't work out exactly as you might expect it to in real life.

Thus, execution.

That is an argument I have not seen brought up. Well put.

However, even if the idea doesnt turn out as planned, could the execution have happened without it?
edit on 15-7-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
How can you execute something without the idea? Therefore the idea must be more important.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Thus, execution.

Good point, but if what's on paper is based on past experiences, executions if you will, then they kind of become one in the same. If it's an idea made just out of thin air then, yes, the execution part will be more important because you then have something to prove; that the idea is worth something. That it actually can succeed. If the idea is already proven, then what's on paper is simply expanding that idea. Trying to make it evolve I guess you could say, which it probably will if it's based on past successes.

Personally, I think execution is more important because you can do something successfully without putting a lot of thought, or any even, into the action. It's called a gut instinct. Or for you women, a woman's intuition.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Many "modern art" artists would disagree with you.

They seem to think the idea - or 'concept' - is more important than the execution.

Probably, it's just a convenient excuse for those unable to paint like Da Vinci

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Both, some sit around and think up a storm while others act on those ideas. This is where human collaboration comes into play as some seem to have more gifted imaginations than others which have better hands on fundamentals.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Wait a minute, something doesn't seem right here.

How do you execute an idea if you don't first have an idea? Your description of an execution includes an idea already in there. So of course that's more important...

Literally it's idea vs action, but actions in this context require an idea, otherwise it's like trying to grow a plant without any seeds (ideas).

Idea is more important because executing that idea wouldn't be possible without the idea coming first. Once the idea is out there, naturally the next step is to see it through. So I really don't see why these two things are being compared.
edit on 15/7/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Do you mean intention or doing?

It depends on the person's circumstance. Someone who cannot do, due to income or disability age or infirmity and circumstances, carry forth what they want and long for, are just as much doers, and have already done it, they also have done it from Family's view point. And unlike what elite, law of attraction, believe, everyone's circumstances is not in their control, their attitude does count and miracles can and do happen, but when you see people getting ahead based on their ideas one could easily see the devil rewarding their own.

There is quite alot about teh poor and needy in the bible and that God shines through the weak.

And also Seneca has a wonderful essay on Benefits. In that he discussed people who gave generously and those who received and the wish to repay in kind or similar. But he also said, that for the one who has always wished to repay, and done all they can, but whose circumstances are different, they need to be treated as if they have repaid, and this should not prevent them from receiving yet again.

So Intent is the first thing. its the primary. Doing is conditional to those who can, and also, the ability to Do is a gift and an honor in itself, that part is often overlooked as well.
edit on 15-7-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

not true it is possible the discovery was a fluke from a resulting execution based on an idea unrelated to the discovery.
edit on 15-7-2012 by g0dhims3lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
To me, first comes CONCEPT, then comes IDEA, then comes EXECUTION.
You can execute something simply by following instructions.
Few, however, have that "eureka" moment and come up with revolutionary ideas.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
???????? I think, therefore I am? Seriously?

OK, so we can go either way on this. "Don't ask a question you don't already know the answer too" or "if the tree makes a noise in the woods and no one hears it, did it make a noise?"

I sign NDA's (Non-Disclosure Agreements) ALL day long! I hear at parties, because I do new product development the same old " I can't tell you my idea,because you'll steal it" stuff. (It's called an NDA for a reason)

To suggest that an idea without excecution, is as good as an idea without any execution, is beyond my ability to discuss. I'm saying that politley.

An "idea" is 2 dimensional. An object is 3 dimensional.
"Code" in computers is "2" dimensional but it exists.
Your actually asking which has more value?

So, your asking is an idea worth more then execution OF the idea into a viable entity? With regards to what? Philosophical or Cash Value?

Good luck with the thread.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I guess without the idea execution is irrelevant. Maybe you can have an idea but someone else executes it , that works too. You can have the means to execute an idea but no original thoughts. Interesting question but the idea wins for me. Just my two cents.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Ultimately, it's a very subjective question...

If someone is choking to death what is more important - the "idea" of medical assistance, or the execution of medical assistance?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
What is the question? Because imo it depends on what you are trying to achieve... expanding your mind or looking for something to do?

Execution is only ever any good if you're doing something that matters. Ideas will always expand and stretch your mind. Not every idea deserves to be executed though.

But to me the question is like asking which one is better your heart beat or your breathing? They kind of do best when they both happen and work together.

just thoughts

much love

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Reminds me of "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" Because you simply cannot have one without the other..

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
Ultimately, it's a very subjective question...

If someone is choking to death what is more important - the "idea" of medical assistance, or the execution of medical assistance?

Fox, I always enjoy your posts. But your kidding right?

The IDEA of the Hymlich Manuever came about because people tryed other attemps of stopping a blocked throat.

Who gives a rats ass how many idea's they came up with to save people if unproven.

Did they sit in a room and discuss idea's, or do a statistical process valadation and/or clinical trial to VALIDATE the idea?
Did they try and PROVE that pulling UP on ones chest removes a clogged throat?
I'm pretty sure they did.

"An idea without execution is a hallucination. "
www.goodreads.com...

Thomas Edison

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
An `idea` could be just a flight of fancy with no known means of proof or realization, this decision will obviously be decided by those who fear/welcome the idea the most.
If the idea could be possible would it be of a benefit to others, would culture, society, academia the economy benefit from this new direction.? ...again it will be judged and the methods involved scrutinized and priced. This will result in modifications being made, these imposed restrictions will be enforced and observed by like/unlike minded experts, who will expect their opinions to be accepted and included...and so it goes on, in time the idea...well a version of it may be successfully executed and sold to the masses for profit or prestige.

So ideas are never stationary, they will have to change and accommodate to become a part of reality...if the core values, methods and attainable benefits are in-line with those of the politicians, scientific community, business and the wishes/demands of the people this idea and what it produces will rise above the trends/fads and influence future generations, just like the ideas and concepts you were taught as a child. with the same hidden message inside...do not think to far out of the box and respect the restrictions we have put in place.

just thoughts.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join