It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Idea vs. Execution: which is more important?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
This is a question I have been pondering for some time, and I would love to see others' opinions on it.

Which is more important: having and idea, or executing that idea?

Personally, I fall to the side of execution. In my opinion, ideas do not matter without execution. We could sit around for years and come up with ideas, yet if we never execute them, they are meaningless.

What do you all think?

If you figure this out, you should also work on that chicken and egg question.

Of course execution matters most, just like the last 2 yards of a 98 yard kickoff return matter most. Getting it across the goal line is the reason for the season, so to speak. You need ideas to start the process, but the idea is useless without execution.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
Many "modern art" artists would disagree with you.

They seem to think the idea - or 'concept' - is more important than the execution.

Probably, it's just a convenient excuse for those unable to paint like Da Vinci

Thanks for saying this. It clearly illustrates that this question comes down to personal perception. A painter, for example, would say it is absolutely about the idea, and only the idea. But many actors would say that it is only about the ability to execute.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

This is a question I have been pondering for some time, and I would love to see others' opinions on it.

Which is more important: having and idea, or executing that idea?

Personally, I fall to the side of execution. In my opinion, ideas do not matter without execution. We could sit around for years and come up with ideas, yet if we never execute them, they are meaningless.

What do you all think?

If you figure this out, you should also work on that chicken and egg question.

Of course execution matters most, just like the last 2 yards of a 98 yard kickoff return matter most. Getting it across the goal line is the reason for the season, so to speak. You need ideas to start the process, but the idea is useless without execution.

I got the chicken and the egg. I believe in evolution, therefore, it has to be the egg. The evolutionary predecessor that laid the egg that hatched the first chicken was not a chicken, and therefore, the egg came first.
edit on 15-7-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur
Wait a minute, something doesn't seem right here.

How do you execute an idea if you don't first have an idea? Your description of an execution includes an idea already in there. So of course that's more important...

Literally it's idea vs action, but actions in this context require an idea, otherwise it's like trying to grow a plant without any seeds (ideas).

Idea is more important because executing that idea wouldn't be possible without the idea coming first. Once the idea is out there, naturally the next step is to see it through. So I really don't see why these two things are being compared.
edit on 15/7/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

I don't agree whatsoever. One can execute a task without intending to. If I walk in a straight line with no intention for miles and miles, I will eventually accomplish SOMETHING, such as stepping on a bug. I didnt intend to, but I executed it anyway(no pun intended)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Well, we will leave it at that as it is a good explanation.

RE: the topic, it would seem that the idea could have occured countless times, but was never known due to lack of execution. Thus, execution is the most important thing. The idea will occur to someone else. Of course, I am a believer of a collective conscious (at least to some degree, as in the "100 Monkeys" concept). The idea transcends the individual. The idea existed before the individual.
edit on 15-7-2012 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I feel like there are a lot of people here that are misinterpreting this question, so I thought I'd clarify. The question isn't which is better. It isn't which is more valuable. It is WHICH IS MORE IMPORTANT.

To accomplish a thing, both must happen. The idea must be had, and the actions must be executed to carry out the idea.

But which matters MORE in the process?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Which matters most to who.?

If we are talking about an idea for the benefit of your own country, you have already been programmed to work within the confines of your culture. If you challenge the establishment with some radical idea, you will have to provide very good reasons for its realization.

The `idea` is key to development but only after it has explained itself, this means converting your idea into the accepted languages of rational and logic to be scrutinized. Intuition has to do the same.
edit on 16/7/12 by ironbutterflyrusted because: add

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
Execution for sure, no question about it, an idea is useless without action. Lead by example.

Fits my thoughts exactly. However, I have heard a few people say the opposite; that without the idea, execution is nothing but running around like a headless chicken. I can see that side, also, but I still think it's execution.

Both are important but without somebody realising the idea then it is pointless. It is like faith. Faith without works (striving to the highest ideals of that faith) is dead.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join