It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sharpest ever view of Orion Nebula

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Originally posted by tulahen
looks weird to be just some dirt on the lens, no?

I have to admit, while I'm not screaming "Aliens!!", this has me intrigued.

Here's a better res close-up from the large TIFF image HERE....

It looks like it is reflecting light off a star directly behind it, almost as if the light is wrapping itself around a cylinder as it passes by.
edit on 15/7/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

SHHHHHHhhhhhhhh its just dirt. wink, wink.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

edit on 15-7-2012 by tulahen because: (no reason given)

I spoted that to.
above it is some thing to?
did they do this Just to get US going?
they must be playing with us.

and Very Beautiful.
I woulder what it looks like with the Real colours?
What? you did not know that they ADD the colours?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
That cylinder is what swamp gas looks like in space.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

OMG ! that is it......

M42 = 42 = The answer to everything.

The answer to everything we want to know is at M42...

How many other threads have been started about the importance of Orion and the links between the pyramids lining up exactly with Orion, or mimicking it's allignment or whatever.

That was the first thing that clicked in my head when I saw the M42....

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I know what that is.. It's a bokeh

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

edit on 15-7-2012 by tulahen because: (no reason given)

you've 6 posts in 3 years, and you come and give us this.
very well spotted. that does look intriguing
it looks as if it is reflecting light from behind it.
it couldnt be a large spaceship.......... could it?

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SecretKnowledge

I'm a long time visitor, more than 3 years but i never get anything to say or it has already been said .... plus English isn't my first language so I have certain difficulties to write it... I'm a bit shy too .....

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

I have to admit, while I'm not screaming "Aliens!!", this has me intrigued.

Here's a better res close-up from the large TIFF image HERE....

It looks like it is reflecting light off a star directly behind it, almost as if the light is wrapping itself around a cylinder as it passes by.
edit on 15/7/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

It's a protoplanetary disk -- i.e., the possible beginnings of a new solar system:
Picture Album: A Protoplanetary Disk Silhouetted Against the Orion Nebula

edit on 7/15/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by swan001
reply to post by elevenaugust

Beautifull, isn't it? I first saw that photo as a young lad. It's simply marvellous.
Apparently the Orion war was about this nebula...

Bloody Irish, always gettin drunk & fightin over something.

I actually went to school with O'Ryans brother, Fergus.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tulahen

Actually, that is a solar system in formation. You can barely see the star behind the thick cloud of dust and gas enveloping it. The Orion Nebula is so close, bright, and has so many newborn stars there are dozens of these to be found. Here is an article explaining this a bit further:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

EDIT:
Whoops, Soylent Green Is People beat me to the punch. Must have posted while I was typing.
edit on 7/15//12 by superstatue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Awesome! I admit I'm slightly disappointed that it isn't an alien spaceship though

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I'm still half hoping that the Voyagers clear the bubble just to report back like a car side mirror, "Objects may be closer than they appear". I think there is far too much we can't even begin to guess at...and that's all any of this all really is anyway.

I'll just enjoy the absolutely beautiful vista of the nebula.....and what maybe be a generational ship off to the side.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Maybe you guys will like this video I made some years ago. The 7th Beethoven symphony with images from Hubble telescope.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

constructed using data from the Hubble Space Telescope's Advanced Camera for Surveys

So this isnt a single shot but a composition put together by an artist.

Ive seen a documentary on how NASA makes these images. Its lots of pictures taken at different wavelengths that are then given to an artist who then colors them and put the twinkles on a few of the starts to make it look pretty.
edit on 15-7-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

lol, you will be disappointed if you look at the Orion Nebula through a telescope..... It is just a faint green blob. Only after you start taking long exposures of it, can you see the magnificent colours, something like this.

Even though I love Hubble and all the other giant telescopes and the planetary probes out there, I'll admit that their pictures are so much nicer, than what we amateurs struggle to capture. And of course, if you are excited to show laymen (or kids) nebulae, etc. through your telescope, you can't get over their disappointment if they have seen Hubble pics of the same object ....

edit on 15/7/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes
Would it be weird if I said that there is some sort of sexual element in this nebula? At least from my perspective.

What!? Ah,.. time to push back from the internet for a few hours maybe?...

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

This is not entirely true. Here is a thread showing M42 through a 8" dobson:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

You can get an 8" dobson scope for about $250. There are also various nebula filters etc. you can use with a telescope to enhance details.

Nebula such as M42 or Andromeda are actually surprisingly "large" and cover a wide field, i STILL don't have my own 8" (want to get one for some time already)..but i think you should definitely see a little more than green, faint blotches with a good 6" or 8" scope.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

That is on a picture, try looking through a telescope at Orion yourself ..... The camera is a LOT more sensitive than your eyes ....

The fact that our eyes can only see it as a greyish-greenish blob without colours, are a function to our eyes colour response in low light. A camera doesn't have that response in low light, so that is why with longer exposures the colours start to appear.

The picture I posted was taken through my 8", and I can promise you, that is NOT that you will see with your eyes.

you can read more about what you will see with naked eyes over here:
why do I only see green?

Will see if I can find in my archive a picture of M42 that approximates what you can see with your naked eyes through a telescope.

Here is a very early attempt of mine. You can see my telescope was untracked, and I took it most probably through the 12" reflector I had back then. Exposure time was 10 seconds. This is about the best you will see it with your naked eyes, and instead of the blue tinge, it will be a faint green.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Breathtaking, there is so much out there that we humans hardly realize because we are so tangled up in our own problems.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I was looking at this picture in detail and if you look just to the right of the Orion cluster about the distance it is from one star to the third on the same line you can see a small black line in the nebular dust. This is somewhere around pixel 2919x2919. Zooming in further there is a star in the middle of it. Tell me that isn't a solar system in formation. Then look up again along the same line as that solar system about the same distance. Around pixel 2782x2632. Tell me that's not another... Did I just make a discovery? If so who should I call? Maybe I'm just a moron? Comments are appreciated.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tulahen

You are right mate

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join