It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sharpest ever view of Orion Nebula

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes
Would it be weird if I said that there is some sort of sexual element in this nebula? At least from my perspective.

Well it is the birthplace of stars, so something is going on there

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I hate looking at these space pictures. I see what appears to be a womans face on the right and some sort of dog like creature with it's ears pinned back on the left spraying her with energy from it's hands or paws..... There may be a smaller face to the left of the bigger girls face. Do they have an artist creating these things somewhere?
edit on 15-7-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

The artist is......Look, holographic universe. Nebulas are the formation of stars, and you're looking at the dump of pigments, colors, the ARTIST(s) at play and the school being formed, and its a picture book, just like I was shown. And in the clusters, some are like here, the one orion where I saw the man walking in the robe (maybe that is why some say Christ came from Orion, and even that earth was moved, that could be looking into the past and related to us). But that system had humans like beings, fighting, a war, and some negaitve faces too, and then a Christ like figure walking in the background, and I thought its going to be a similar frequency and duality test to ours, a world of war with lots of Love to reach for as the opposite choice.

Some of them seem just beautiful faces, as if higher ups to help others will live there. Some seem busy, and convoluted and I got an insectoid feel with some lower dimensional faces.

We're looking at the different schools being formed, or as it takes light years to reach us, perhaps the past even of our galaxy.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
Here's a 4meg 4000x4000 version of the image, much better detail.

Hard to imagine that exists up there in the darkness we call space.. beautiful..

www.spacetelescope.org...

Anybody else see the winged bearded guy holding something inappropriate?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
That picture is cool, thanks OP.

Original -

1 -

2 -

3 -

edit on 16-7-2012 by II HAL II because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by swan001
reply to post by elevenaugust

Beautifull, isn't it? I first saw that photo as a young lad. It's simply marvellous.
Apparently the Orion war was about this nebula...

So that makes you a young lad now? I mean.. I'm pretty sure that photo was constructed within the last year or so. Don't know how you could have had access to it years ago? Unless this is a seriously old photo?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
My favourite is the Eagle nebulae. According to NASA the clouds are 50 light years from top to bottom. For reference: A light year is 5,865,696,000,000 miles (9,460,800,000,000 kilometers) now multiply that by 50.

2.932848 × 10 power of 14 miles in length.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by knightwhosaysnih

Mate, alot of photos were taken from the nebula.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by knightwhosaysnih

Beautifull, isn't it? I first saw that photo as a young lad. It's simply marvellous.
Apparently the Orion war was about this nebula...

So that makes you a young lad now? I mean.. I'm pretty sure that photo was constructed within the last year or so. Don't know how you could have had access to it years ago? Unless this is a seriously old photo?

Mate, alot of photos were taken from the nebula.

I agree that there have been many pictures taken of of the Orion Nebula for several decades now, but your assertion that there is some sort of place in space called "Orion" that beings are warring over doesn't really make sense...

...The constellation of Orion may look like a bunch of stars near each other as seen from Earth, but they are not actually near each other in space -- just like a tree that is right in front of you is nowhere near the mountains ten miles away in the background, although you can see them both at the same time.

The stars in Orion are many hundreds of light years from each other and from the nebula. There are stars that we considered as part of the constellation that are closer to Earth than they are to each other -- such a the star "Belatrix". Belatrix is only 250 LY from earth, but is 1200 LY from the nebula. Betelgeuse is also closer to earth than it is to some other stars in Orion. The stars in Orion's belt are 300 to 700 LY away from each other. They only look close to each other as seen from earth, but (like the close tree and distant mountains I mentioned) actually some are in the background, and some in the foreground from our viewpoint.

These stars only "appear" to be in one place in space, but in actuality, there is really no place in 3D space that you could actually call "Orion" (or go to war over) -- i.e., you can't really go to a the area of space where a group of stars called "Orion" are all near each other, because the stars that we see as "Orion" are NOT anywhere near each other, but rather scattered all over the place in 3D space...

...some in the foreground of our viewpoint, and some way way in the background from our viewpoint.

edit on 7/17/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

I appreciate your post, but I studied astronomy for more than 10 years. I know that a constellation is not what it seems. Nevertheless, I think that if a alien specie existed, it would not stay confined to only some stars. It would colonize hundred of stars, maybe even a section of a galaxy, and I think that stars 700 ly away from each other is relatively close when you consider that our Milky way has a diameter of 100 000 ly, 4 principal arm and an undetermined number of smaller arms. Orion is just a sector named that way because from Earth we see Orion in its perspective. Yes, you can war over a section of a galaxy.
BTW I am glad to meet another astronomer. Are you from southern hemisphere? I never saw southern hemisphere's stars...

edit on 18-7-2012 by swan001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher

That is fascinating. I always see those gassy clouds and wonder what the universe smells like. Does it smell like the air after a fireworks show ? Is there a smell ?

I think if you ever got to smell it, it would probably kill you... Sorry

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by II HAL II

This is fun.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes
Would it be weird if I said that there is some sort of sexual element in this nebula? At least from my perspective.

Yep.... that's one giant orgasm if you ask me

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

Probably smell like finger nail polish remover....Acetone or maybe even smell like formaldehyde.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join