It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Non-Browning Apple Genetically Modified To Stay Crisp

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Non-Browning Apple Genetically Modified To Stay Crisp

www.huffingtonpost.com

You know how the old story goes: You want to eat an apple. You cut into that apple. The apple turns brown. You no longer want to eat that apple.

Their new invention, the "Arctic Apple" is genetically modified to stay crisp and never brown, as un-modified apples do when they are exposed to air for too long.

Remember how stressed out people were about the stuff that made ketchup fly out of the bottle? According to OSF's website, they plan to branch out into peaches, cherries and pears as well.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Why do we need GMO apples that don't turn brown?

Man leave my apples alone....please?

Saddening

Corn is pretty much extinct for those who might not know, at least in my opinion
So I don't eat corn anymore and now even stay away from canola oil.

As some may know it's no longer required to label GMO food as GMO.

I hope the artic apple remains labelled so I can avoid it at all costs.

Neal Carter, the founder and president of the company, which is based in the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia, said the nonbrowning apples could improve industry sales, much as baby carrots did for carrot sales.

www.nytimes.com...

If you read that article the guy makes some valid points
Just label it at the very least please!

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Apples that stay crisp, what's wrong with that?

Not all technology is evil.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
These people need to die in fires, along with their GMO crops.

The more study that is done on GMO crops the more science reveals that it's poison, and really bad for you in every sence of the word.

This is insanity.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147

Its being used as a excuse to patent plants.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
threads on the subject and company also here:

USDA Asked To Approve GMO Apple That Won't Brown

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and here:

BC biotech company seeks approval for GM apple in Canada

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 14-7-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-7-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I just wanted to chime in that corn is in everything almost...so stay away from processed foods and alot of other products that has corn in it that you may not realize. Apparently it's cheaper to use corn than other plants....

Maltodextrin, monosodium glutamate, ascorbic acid, citric acid, xanthan gum, sorbitol, lecithin, golden food coloring, and mono-, di-, & triglycerides are all made of corn. What is it about corn that makes food makers put it in all processed foods??

Source

Damn apples are poisonious enough...either by eating too many seeds or not washing all the pesticides off....now them damn idiots go and genetically modify them even more...Well I guess we'll be lucky to see any food next year after the drought kills what's growing now in the US....

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
True story.

I once saw an episode of Alton Brown's 'Good Eats' where the recipe was for a brined turkey. Google it. Try it. Wonderful.

However, one part of the recipe was for a red apple cut up and used as an aromatic (no stuffing, but some stuff in the cavity for flavour - apple, cinnamon, allspice). I'd bought two apples, and used one. Lovely looking, shiny red apples.

The one I didn't use went into the fruit bowl. I'm not really an apple eater, so it just sat there.
And sat there.
And sat there.
It didn't even begin to rot.
Over a month went by before I just threw it away.
It looked exactly like it did the day I bought it.
There's something wrong with that. Fruit shouldn't stay like that. If they did so naturally, we'd have never invented preserves (jam, jelly, marmalade etc.).

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Wow they spend mega bucks on developing something which is essentially cosmetic in nature for our sad cosmetic main stream media to advertise to sad consumers who have been literally brainwashed to accept such garbage as something they need to buy.

Does it make it more nutritious?
Probably not.

I would rather have been born in the mid neolithic period myself,without all this kind of global commercial con.
Its all total BS I tell you folks.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Wow they spend mega bucks on developing something which is essentially cosmetic in nature for our sad cosmetic main stream media to advertise to sad consumers who have been literally brainwashed to accept such garbage as something they need to buy.

Wow
Excellently said

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
These people need to die in fires, along with their GMO crops.

Sorry, but I find great offense in you advocating horrible murder for something that has been going on for millennia.

Man has 'genetically modified' plants since the dawn of time through selective cross-pollination. We've got it down to a fine art. Why not use our scientific knowledge to create a short-cut or two?

There are no harmful effects from the process - at least none that I've heard of - but it seems you know different.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

There wasn't anything wrong with GMO grass neither until a bunch of cow died after eating it and they discovered that the grass started to emanate cyanide "somehow"...

If nature wanted apples not to turn brown, it would of made them that way... Men tries to play God and it always turns around to bite us in the rear...

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

I don't have to trust them, they don't have any right to mess with my food. I eat mostly fruit, and its not theirs. I don't want my cherries, my peaches, or my apples touched by them. Cross breeding, ie. creating a spartan by crossing a mac and a red delicious is as far as I want them to ever go.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Monster Inc. spent most of the 20th century poisoning people all over the planet
they've just refined their delivery system

what part of
NO FOOD SHALL BE GROWN THAT MONSANTO DOESN'T OWN
are you failing to comprehend?

they want to wipe out all natural products to create a monopoly
there are reports that the Heart of the Corn [were according to legend it was 1st cultivated]
has already been infected with GMO pollen

like the Sower of Tares from the parable
they do this intentionally
this is BIOWARFARE

are you white
how'd you like to wake up one morning and discover that you and your family and entire neighborhood
have been watermelon manned[become negros]?
somebody sprayed the neighborhood the night before with a biowarfare payload that increased your melanin output 20 times the amount your genes originally did.

oh, and there is no cure or treatment; it's permanently bonded to your genes

i'm with tothetenth here we need to seriously get Old Testament here

a crusade/jihad needs to be declared against this
roundup [
] all the management, executives,shareholders and scientists and burn them in a wicker man
after keeping them locked up untill they've been forced to consume every last bit of their own products

the data from this experiment will be useful to future generations

edit on 14-7-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
So now they are genetically modifing trees? Can't grow an apple tree in your yard without Monsanto approval? Looks like Monsanto's plan of owning every kind of food is coming along nicely. From this they can move on to oranges, cherries and everything else that grows on a tree with some excuse that supposedly makes it better.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by _R4t_

There wasn't anything wrong with GMO grass neither until a bunch of cow died after eating it and they discovered that the grass started to emanate cyanide "somehow"...

Actually, that was not GMO grass.

From the original article:

UPDATE: The grass suspected of killing the cattle is not a GMO in the sense that food activists typically use, though it is a scientifically modified hybrid of African bermudagrass and an earlier hybrid grass, Tifton 68. The USDA and the University of Georgia jointly developed Tifton 85 and released it for commercial use in 1992.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

But browning is the process of decomposition. How can these apples break down in the stomach if they don't decompose?

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Hmmm......If the apple won't oxidize than we can't digest it properly. Why eat something like that? Why not just eat plastic, it makes you feel full.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Sounds pretty good. Some people have been conditioned to believe that GMO's are bad for you because alternative health "experts" have told them so. Alternative health and fundamental environmentalism are just new-age religions. You really can't argue with someone's faith because they "know".

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

But browning is the process of decomposition. How can these apples break down in the stomach if they don't decompose?

You should read up on how the digestive system works and probably how decomposition works also.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join