It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a hello to all and a wee bit about myself

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Hi to everyone at ATS!

I've been coming to these pages for a while now and have enjoyed reading and learning about the diverse range of topics and opinions covered here. I finally decided to register myself for a couple of reasons: 1) I feel that, as this is a community that relies on its users contributing in order to for it to function, it seems only fair that those who are getting something from it should also make an contribution and 2) I feel I have something to add to the discussions here and also plenty to learn by being more actively involved.
So, a little about me: I am a person who tries to live my life with my eyes, mind, heart and arms open. I believe in the potential for good in all people, no matter who they are or what they may have done. I have over ten years experience in working in the field of mental health, psychology and counselling and have a great interest in people's behaviour and thought processes both as individuals and as a society. I don't have any belief in a higher power, in complex conspiracies, in life after death or in paranormal phenomena. This is not the same as denying their existence but is based on the fact that I had not yet seen any actual, testable, repratable or variafiable evidence in support of these things. I prefer to base my opinions on the kind of testable and variafiable evidence we see in the application of the scientific method. However, to borrow from (and paraphrase) the wonderful 'x-files' I want to believe!.... Just not so badly that I am prepared to abandon common sense or reason or lower the standards of what constitutes acceptable evidence. As a 'lurker' I have already enjoyed being challenged and made to rethink my position, simply by reading what others have contributed. I look forward to learning more and to hopefully coming to a greater understanding of myself, of the world and of others. I am always willing to learn and to grow... Many thanks if you took the time to read this. Peace
) see you on the boards...

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
hi wellcom

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Milkflavour

Welcome to ATS...you sound like you'll be a nice fit here....enjoy the ride....

Des

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Hello and welcome to ATS!

Let's start discussing shall we?

You say your educated in the field of phycology, and yet to not have an opinion on the human mind? How's that so?

You also have no judgement on complex conspiracies and the paranormal etc etc.

Would it be fair to say the banking cartel is a complex conspiracy, and thus must be believed?

I recently received the results from a phycology study I took part in several months ago, by Andrew Hodrain, Brother of Dave Hodrian, who is studying post graduate phycology, the study was for some degree or another, it was a survey intened to study how people process infomation, and new infomation, and how it relates to biases they may have.

Many question were unrelated to the UFO phenomina, and were simply there to test how infomation is processed.

The results concluded that skeptics are more likely to be biased and believers are more likely to be logical thinkers, in regards to the UFO phenomina..

How do you feel regarding that study?

Also, if you have no extra-normal beliefs, what is your interest in ATS,

And what are your favorite subjects of topic?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
"RUN Milkflavour RUN while you still can"
...oops, too late. HOOKED

welcome and enjoy, there`s no other place like it!

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Welcome to ats and enjoy. I'm trying to get used to the site as well

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Welcome!
Grab a beer, they're in the fridge.

Just don't touch the paper sack labeled "beezzer".

It's my lunch.

Or stool sample.

(I forget)

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Well hi there Sinny, thanks for the warm welcome.

Okeedokee so,

Firstly I didn't say I didn't have an opinion on the human mind. I'm not sure if you perhaps misinterpreted something I said, but I can't see where you might have got that from. I'm not sure one could have a view on 'the human mind' as such. It's a massively complex thing and covers so many different facets. If you'd like to narrow the question down to something more specific I'd be happy to give my opinion on thh particular subject (assuming I know anything about it. There's a lot I don't know about the brain and about people of course. Ten years isn't long enough to learn EVERYTHING, I would suggest ten lifetimes would be insufficient. However, I'll try my best
)

In regards to the banking 'cartel', I'm not sure what you mean. The financial system is just that, a system. It is corrupt of course, no doubt, we're seeing more and more evidence of that all the time (rate fixing being the most recent I think) and one could fairly call certain acts committed within that system a conspiracy (thē Oxford English dictionary describes a conspiracy as " a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful) but I'm not sure a corrupt system in itself can be called a conspiracy. Individuals may conspire to commit unlawful acts but I'm not sure a system can. I hope that addresses your question and doesn't come off as arguing semantics, that's certainly not my intention.

The study you partook in sounds very interesting, I would like to see the results published and peer reviewed. Is there any chance you can point me in the direction of where I can find the study?. I don't feel comfortable commenting on something I haven't seen or read for myself. I will have a look though.

As for my interest in ATS... Well, like I said, I want to believe, just because I don't hold extra-normal beliefs (I like the phrase) doesn't mean that I close my mind and assert that I will NEVER hold those beliefs. I would love to find that this universe is full of gods and aliens and all kinds of things. I just haven't seen any actual evidence yet. I hope to perhaps find some here, or at the very least, have an intelligent discussion with a wide variety of people from all over thē world and aim new insight and perspective.

As for favourite topics, that's a toughie.... I'm quite interested in UFO phenomena as there seems to be some indication that something is happening. What it is isn't clear but the sightings are widespread and persistent (many, MANY years, as I'm sure you know). I'm also interested in the way governments manipulate data, media and individuals. I am interested in the discussions around govt. so called 'black' programmes... I suppose you could say though that I'm interested in everything. The universe is a fascinating place and people even more so. I am always keen to learn something new, I don't believe in good or bad experience really, only experience... It all comes down to the lessons we learn....

Thanks again to all who greeted me. I appreoate it. Thanks for your time
)

Edit: I looked for the study you mentioned but couldn't find anything on it. I will keep looking.
Also, in relation to bias, there is an interesting concept called 'confirmation bias' (sorry of you've heard this). It states that people tend to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypotheses. It's an area I'm particularly interested in as I see this in action on a daily basis and it is fundamental to how we develop our view of the world. It's a massive cognitive mistake because it limits our ability to learn, addressing cognitive bias is essential if one is to continue to grow and to develop.
edit on 13-7-2012 by Milkflavour because: Update

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Hey, in regards to your first paragragh, my apologies I miss read your post (my bus came at the same time lol),

Also in regards to that study, I need to ask Dave if he can link me to the published paper, I was informed by an informal email from Dave yesterday you see. Here's the only info on the net regarding the study:

ufoupdateslist.com...
www.skepticforum.com...
thetruthhides.wordpress.com...

As I say, I need a link to the actual published paper, and preferably the survey to.

In regards to the banking "cartel" .. It is infact a cartel. I say this because is it not the same handfull of families and companies that own the majority of banks? Also, the rate fixing scandal, does not just include Barclays, but at *least* 12 other banking groups, that discuss rate fixing between them selves, a conspiracy in the same sence of the oxford definistion if I'm correct?

Thanks for taking the time to reply

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Welcome Milkflavour

Be sure to try out Ask ATS with any "search words" of your choice, you will find numerous threads to choose from to add your thoughts to. Once you have achieved the minimum of 20 post replies, you will be able to create your own threads in their appropriate areas & additionally send & receive messages to fellow ATS members.

Here are some handy links to get you oriented into now becoming a valued member of ATS.

Reaffirming ATS Policies ( Please Read First )
Terms & Conditions Of Use (Please read second)
Visit here next - ATS Freshmans Forum
Index of Important ATS Related Threads
Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First
Hey New Members!! Come here if you need advice
Easy Way to Upload Your Pics & Avatar Graphics

*** Please have fun, ATS at times is like a rollercoaster ride! But be aware if you act in an uncivil-like manner, discuss personal illicit drug usage, use profanity, troll, intentionally spread a hoax, spam, advertise and/or get verbally abusive, you will be removed off the ride by a Moderator. This is for your safety, & also for those both young and old on the ride with you.

So buckle up, keep your arms within the ride's comfort zone, have fun and "Deny Ignorance"...!

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Well, thanks for supplying the links and for replying. Shame the study isn't available yet, anyway, I'll persevere without it for now.

Judging by the information provided on the links it is clear the the participants were informed beforehand what the study was about and also the aims, this COULD potentially affect the way in which respondents completed the questionnaire. Also, I am willing to bet (though I accept that this is speculation) that the leader of this study is in one camp or another (believer/skeptic), this may compromise the Impartiality of questions and the way in which the study is conducted. Having said that, I'm sure he's a smart chap and, as it's a dissertation (so probably for a masters) It's likely he's covered these things.... You haven't mentioned (because you don't have access to the data yet of course) what the study concluded in relation to participants who were 'undecided'. Are they even less likely to be bias? More so? The same? (I appreciate you can't answer this, I'm just expressing aspects of the study I'd be interested in learning more about). Also, can we categorise people as simply 'beliver', 'skeptic', 'undecided'? I personally feel this is a bit too black and white. In my experience, things of this nature are usually better represented on a sliding scale.
Having said all that, my natural inclination is towards agreeing with the premise that skeptics are more likely to be biased. It seems, intuitively, to make sense; skeptics are likely to employ more rigorous standards when assessing information and therefore there's a higher chance of them 'over egging the pudding' so to speak. Although intuitive reasoning is, of course, the worst, most unreliable form of reasoning, it seems here to he supported by the facts (assuming you're not fibbing

Well, now the banks.....

I completely agree (and I would imagine there's very few who wouldn't) that there is, and has been, a wide ranging conspiracy between individuals in privileged positions within the financial system. They have evidently (in the Libor case) conspired to commit fraud. However, it is the connotations that the word 'conspiracy' carries that is important here. In the legal (and dictionary) sense of the word it is fair to say that a conspiracy has been perpetrated BUT the use of the word in mainstream culture and ESPECIALLY in communities that share 'extra normal beliefs' is one that implies a sinister, complex conspiracy involving 'dark forces' (human or inhuman) which has an over-arching goal and that the financial systems (and the conspiracies committed therein) are only a small part of a much bigger, and more sinister, picture. I think that you'd agree that when the word 'conspiracy' is use on ATS boards it is usually meant in the latter sense and not the former. So, I would agree that, bearing in mind the literal meaning of the word and, without any sinister connotations, that a conspiracy has occurred. However, I do not believe (thorough lack of credible, variafiable evidence) that the frauds committed by the conspirators are any more than the actions of cynical, greedy individuals seeking to line their pockets. I think this is bad enough without needing to sensationalise it further with rumours of magical, lizard people controlling everyone's mind (for example).

Anyway, hope you had a super Friday night. I didn't reply yesterday as I was busy, I wasn't being rude.
edit on 14-7-2012 by Milkflavour because: My first post was even more waffly an needed clarification

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Thank you also to Johnny Anonymous for the welcome, much appreciated.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Hey welcome Milky! Can I call you Milky? It's cool that you look at the good in people, because there is so often so much blinding bad. I was a lurker on here too
and though I'm not an atheist I don't believe in an afterlife either...I think it's cool how you're open though, and not in a creepy 'I'm going to convert you' kind of way

I think you've got it right there, that you can learn alot on here, some stuff is like geezewut and some stuff is more like lolmeh, but all in all it's a great site with alot of variety and intrigue.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by acelaces

Haha... Yeah, you can call me milky, you can call me whatever you like (within the T&Cs obviously ;o).
Welcome to ATS yourself Acelaces... You're right about variety... There's something for everyone, that's for certain... Thanks for your welcome and I'll see you out on the boards.

Peace.

posted on Jul, 15 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Welcome to the Family that is ATS. If you are interested in a custom Avatar Stop by and check out this thread www.abovetopsecret.com... There are a lot of examples posted throughout if you are not sure what you want or just give a description in a post and we can get you set up with your very own. I look forward to seeing you on the boards.

new topics

top topics

join