It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do not resist an evil person,what is your under standing ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Jesus teaches us in Mathew chapter 5 vrs 38/39 not an eye for an eye, but do not resist an evil person , if some one was coming to stab you, rape your wife, kill your family, some one you love, ? would you resist this person. ? we see Israel, six day war, using every

thing in their arsenal to defend them selves, drive back their attackers, battles in the bible, ones still to come, i think its written, where Jesus told his disciples to buy a sword, we see Peter was carrying a sword, Mathew 26 vrs 51 , not

resisting an evil person ? i here of Christians setting up in remote places, going under ground, arming them selves. any thoughts on this. ?

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The Biblical character of Jesus seems to have somewhat of a contrived split personality. I believe that any call to violent action by Jesus was inserted later to appease or control the masses for political purposes.

The archetypal image of the "Christ" would not support wars and the development of weaponry. Wars for political gain, financial gain of land and resources is based on greed and the need for power are antithetical to the teachings of Jesus.

Jesus said that this is NOT his kingdom, so why would he encourage people to fight for it? If Jesus didn't fight for his life, why should we?

Jesus taught to "turn the other cheek," to give more than is asked of us in charity. He said to stomp off the dust, and walk away from nay sayers.

The Bible depicts at least 2 Jesus', at least one of them is an impostor!

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by dwarfflex

Resisting evil in this sense seems to me like fighting back. Rather than fighting back, the idea here is like jujitsu, where you create a situation where your attackers defeat themselves.

To me it seems like what Jesus was trying to get across is that retaliation/resistance is incompatible with the brotherly love among man that he advocates. It is possible to protect yourself and others while maintaining concern for even those who would do you harm.

It would be difficult to see an armed/dangerous/bloodthirsty person as your brother, but where there's a will, there's a way. If you are a chi master (and maybe Jesus was, since chi and healing powers seem to be closely related), you could still "defeat" a lethal assailant without resisting.

See this video, where the speaker talks about and demonstrates how he "heals" people of their aggression towards him and drains them of the desire to fight. The talk starts around 2:15.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by wagnificent

You hit the nail on the head. I have offered the following video to Christians who wanted to do "battle" with me.

The battle is a personal battle, with ones own demons, not internet posters with opposing views, or citizens of earth with opposing religions.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Jesus teaches us in Mathew chapter 5 vrs 38/39 not an eye for an eye, but do not resist an evil person ,

Could he not have meant, do not engage in strife against an evil person, because he knows that some will use evil to try and bring you down?
edit on 12-7-2012 by jhill76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76

Jesus teaches us in Mathew chapter 5 vrs 38/39 not an eye for an eye, but do not resist an evil person ,

Could he not have meant, do not engage in strife against an evil person, because he knows that some will use evil to try and bring you down?

Your right, but that strife wouldn't entail "sticks and stones"
Would it?

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Your right, but that strife wouldn't entail "sticks and stones"
Would it?

If you are speaking of defending self, I could not comment on, as I have not had that experience to properly "understand".

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

I think the point was more about expressing evil is what brings you down, not the other person.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev

I think the point was more about expressing evil is what brings you down, not the other person.

Yes, maybe I didn't convey it correctly. In them using evil, you would in turn use evil against them, thus for bringing self down.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dwarfflex

He said 'those who live by the sword shall die by the sword'

Do not reflect evil back at someone else because it does not lead people to God. Jesus did not resist evil against Him but look how many people recognised His character and knew Him as the Messiah after the fact.

new topics

top topics

join