It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would this variant of crystal radio generate lots of free energy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I'm submitting this idea for a high power version of the old crystal radio setup for evaluation and comment. I'm declaring this idea to be in the public domain and therefore not patentable. I can't try it myself. I'm hoping someone else can and will post the results and also contact me directly with those results.

Self-powering radios are old hat. They use either a specific kind of crystal or a coil. The idea is that the coil blocks a specific resonant frequency that then follows another path which can be used to power a set of ear phones. The problem is that the amount of power that is generated is very low and impractical for anything except listening to radio stations.

If you look at a standard schematic for a crystal radio setup, you'll see that electrons flow from the aerial down to the ground. So where do the electrons come from? My guess is from the air immediately adjacent to the aerial. Suppose there were another source of electrons for example a 2nd connection to the ground, which is rectified so that electrons would only flow one way from the ground to the aerial? If my theory is current, then the resonant frequency, that is blocked by the coil, will provide the 'push' and the 2nd ground connection provides the supply of electrons. The new circuit then becomes...ground to aerial...aerial to load (earphones or other device)...load to ground. You can find the standard crystal radio schematic in Patrick Kelly's ebook on free energy devices in Chapter 3. Patrick Kelly's Free Energy ebook

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Studenofhistory

I'm surprised Kelly isn't in prison by now. Look how much money the government is losing because of him...

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

A crystal radio is powered by the radio signals it receives. The power comes from the electromagnetic waves as they interact with the antenna.

The only way to get more power is to get a longer antenna or get closer to the source of the electromagnetic wave ie the transmitter.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that this idea is impractical.

The very notion of headphones suggests a loss of energy, that has to come from somewhere.

Also, I'm not aware of a 'coil' or crystal that doesn't lend itself to some form of absorption of resonant frequencies. Although, in particular applications, I've always toyed with the idea of form of cryogenic container around a highly ionized hydrogen plasma that may be a new form of battery. Although, that barely scratches the surface on how it would work. Pure fantasy maybe...

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Grifter81

Or find a way to simultaneously tap into many frequencies. Each band might only have a few milliamps or so of background noise, but if you can feed from millions of different bands it would add up.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Wow you can really get power from a crystal?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
reply to post by Grifter81

Or find a way to simultaneously tap into many frequencies. Each band might only have a few milliamps or so of background noise, but if you can feed from millions of different bands it would add up.

How do you do that?

I'm going to hint towards something to do with fractals!

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

So where do the electrons come from? My guess is from the air immediately adjacent to the aerial.

The electrons are within the antenna. Radio waves set them in motion.

Didn't you already post this?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I thought this thread was familiar.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You're right. I did already post this idea and I had completely forgotten about it. If a moderator is reading this, please delete this latest thread.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

The whole point of a crystal radio receiver is to tune and single out one or two bands at a time so you can hear them. Tuning into millions of bands at the same time? It's not a crystal radio you need.
edit on 11/7/2012 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Actually this is something I looked into. A few things to clear up here. The antennae helps to pull in all signals. The coil tunes to the desired signal. The crystal produces the energy to power the speaker. The sound quality is similar to putting a cactus needle in the bottom of a plastic cup and holding it to a record.

Now the reason the crystal produces is due piezoelectric properties of crystals. That charge is very small indeed.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by FractalChaos13242017

How do you do that?

Maybe coat the coil with crystal dust, then from each speck draw out a thin wire. The crystal also acts as a diode, it allows electricity to flow one way but not another. From each wire would be an AC current, like that which drives the headphones. There will be a lot of problems with interference and signals cancelling out each other and trying to get a good steady current from the lot will take some work.

The negative resistance properties from some diodes also looks very interesting, again they only provide a very small amount of current but stack enough of them up in series and you are on your way to a clean, consistent and steady current.

top topics

join