It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida teen lost arm in alligator attack.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
This is one of those strange situations where someone did something really smart and really stupid.

The Florida teen lost his right arm below the elbow Monday night during an alligator attack. He said he survived by offering the 11-foot alligator his arm, and used the skills he learned by watching TV shows like "Swamp People" to survive the brutal attack.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

I applaud him for using his wits and knowledge in what would be a frightening, lightning fast situation. Most people wouldn't be that lucky.

I also applaud him for his conceited but probably well intentioned attitude that he was glad it was him, but his friends would of been too stupid to survive.

Now I am not a gator attack expert. (We don't have many here, lol) So I don't know if what he did was the correct way to handle things. I would of punched the eyes.

So I would be interested in hearing from people who do know how to handle these situations, on what is the best course of action to take.

Now, what gets me about this kid, is that he was brave on getting himself out of the situation, but he was dumb enough to put himself in it.

You are swimming in a gator infested river in Florida during mating season, and you are mad at the gator?

I don't believe in killing predators over dumb animals.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
In addition:

He said when he tried to walk, he fell into a cactus.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

If you think you are having a bad day, you could of been this kid.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Lol over dumb animals

Worst thing is, he says he'll be right back in there.

Some food you just need to feed eh...

jesus, how many people have lost an arm via atrocity... who would do anything to get their function back, and here's champy mcmoron saying "Hyuk, don'ts need an arm, I've got me hyuk hyuk other arm!!"

thing shoulda just ate the rest of him, if you ask me..

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Well, that is truly unfortunate.

He is still alive though, could have been worse.

As for falling into a cactus, well..............lol.

vvv

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Maybe it is because i am British and therefore a reptile over a certain size scares the pants off me but if i lived in Florida, there is absolutely no way i would go swimming in a river! Or a lake........

Poor kid, did very well to get out of it but have i have to say that from this side of the pond, he looks like a possible Darwin Award contender. People with local knowledge may be able to correct me here though (say, for example, the river doesn't normally contain alligators).

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
Poor kid

oO

he looks like a possible Darwin Award contender.

He is planning on going back into the same waters..

Now I know some folk just can't resist, grew up there, or are just able to do so...

But.. He needs BAIT on his forehead. He gave that critter his arm, to save his own life and his buds, and the next thing he thinks of is going back.

Sloooow Buussss....

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Definite Darwin Candidate there ... prime example of a gene - pool needing chlorination ....

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Did you see the mess they made of the gator? looks like it was attacked with an rpg or something.... I have no sympathy for people who put themselves in these situations though sheer stupidity. The animals, who are just doing what nature intended end up the real victims...

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Ahh, so no extenuating circumstances then?

Sunshine Variety stop at his house then?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I'm a Floridian, born and raised.

You should never, under any circumstances swim in any river, lake, or any other body of standing water here. To me it's pretty much a given that your butt is going to get eaten if you are in the water. Three feet of water is all they need to sneak up on you. I don't believe I even know anyone that has been dumb enough to just go swimming for the hell of it.

Stupid, just stupid.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

You see, even over here in blighty that is what i thought - don't swim in lakes, rivers, etc if you go to Florida on holiday. Don't people walking dogs by lakes, rivers and the like sometimes lose them to alligators? And that is just walking by the side, not actually swimming in them.

Poor lad probably also thinks he has a chance of becoming President!

I do feel sorry for him though, even if this was self inflicted (no other way to describe it). Losing a limb cannot be a pleasant experience, whatever the circumstances.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Ooowahh?

I think so ?

oO

Oo

Not sure!!

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

There isn't too much of a problem with people walking dogs near lakes and what not. Generally gators won't come running out of the water after you. However unattended dogs that have a lake nearby do have a tendency of disappearing. They usually walk along the edge of the water and the gator will stalk them until the time is right... and then... no more pooch. When a nuisance gator has been identified in a community, they kill it, and usually check the contents of the stomach. It is not entirely unusual for there to be 1-5 dog collars in the stomach......

They are monsters. I don't put myself in places were monsters can get me easily. It's pretty easy to swim in a pool.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by Osiris1953

You see, even over here in blighty that is what i thought - don't swim in lakes, rivers, etc if you go to Florida on holiday. Don't people walking dogs by lakes, rivers and the like sometimes lose them to alligators? And that is just walking by the side, not actually swimming in them.

Poor lad probably also thinks he has a chance of becoming President!

I do feel sorry for him though, even if this was self inflicted (no other way to describe it). Losing a limb cannot be a pleasant experience, whatever the circumstances.

He said "I could care less about the arm."

right before he said he'd like to go back out there and do the same again!

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
So let me get this straight...

I see all the comments calling this 17 year old kid stupid and what not but I totally disagree.

How many 17 year olds do you know that know exactly when alligator mating season is?

I am from Florida and it is extremely common to swim and ski in the rivers and lakes and almost every one of them has alligators in it. If the kid was sitting on the shore and saw alligators then went swimming that is one thing but if it was just a bunch of teenagers just swimming in the river that is another.

For the people that are calling him stupid for going in the water to begin with....The next time your at a baseball game and a ball hits you in the face then we should call you stupid as well. Oh and if you ever get hit in the face you should never ever ever go again because if the ball hits you again that would make you more stupid according to ther reasoning here.
edit on 11-7-2012 by knowledgedesired because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-7-2012 by knowledgedesired because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by knowledgedesired

Why would one ever willingly get into the water here?

You're risking your life every single time.

If it's brackish water I understand.

I've never known anyone that hasn't scoffed at the notion of swimming in a local river or lake... you just don't do it.

Period.

Also, yes you are taking a risk when you go to a ballgame, but last time I checked baseballs don't tear people's limbs off.
edit on 11-7-2012 by Osiris1953 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Where I live there is no such thing as a river or lake or pond without alligators. Heck, sometimes they even get in the ditches and swimming pools! Last summer they caught a small six foot gator in the ditch a block from my house! Most people are smart enough to use extra caution during mating season, but kids (and 17 years old IS still a kid) are often ignorant of nature's cycles and often feel invincible. I have a feeling that his words are a lot of macho bravado so he sounds tough for his peers. Inside he's probably shook up as all be all and if nobody was watching would probably be crying his eyes out. I pity the boy!

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I feel bad for him as well. It really is awful since he is a kid, but it could have been prevented.

They are everywhere though. I've run into several just strolling through the neighborhood like they own the place.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Man i don't care for these people...

The water has alligator...

Alligators are aggressive and known to attack humans and eat them

Boy goes into the water gets attacked

People blame the alligator like it shouldn't have done that

Boy says he will go back for revenge.

We just have to wait for the natural selection to take place.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by knowledgedesired

I disagree with you disagreeing!
(messing with you as clearly we each have the right to have our own opinions).

Honestly though, even here in the UK i know you don't go swimming in areas with alligators. It is a bit like not going for a swim in a lava lake - some things are just obvious. Or thinking you can stop a runaway bus with your hands. I could go on but i'm sure you get the point.

Do i feel sorry for him? Yes.

Is he an idiot? Yes.

Did they actually catch the alligator? If not, he has also endangered the public by giving that particular Alligator a taste of humans.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join