It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explain these Mars photos for me

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I don't want to kick this off with a 'Martian Building Ruins' type claim, but I've had these pics on my PC for some time now and I still can't fathom why some of the Martian rocks seem to have geometric edges. The black and white pic looks like it's got the leftovers of building materials.
On Earth, this occurs rarely in rocks or other geological formations by way of nature.
Can anyone explain it??? Chance? Camera angles?

The links to the original Mars photographs are here

antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

[edit on 7-10-2004 by Irma]

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Well forgive me if this sounds absolutely stupid but is it possible that these rocks have been 'sculpted' by a possible meteor impact. Maybe that meteor hit the side of a mountain, displaced thousands of rocks around the area and these few just happen to have broke off the mountain in a smooth fashion?

jra

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
All I see are sharp jagged rocks. I've seen many of those kinds of rocks here on Earth too... So I don't see what you're getting at, sorry.

posted on Oct, 7 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I see what you are getting at.

No, they are not Martian.

E_T

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Irma
I don't want to kick this off with a 'Martian Building Ruins' type claim, but I've had these pics on my PC for some time now and I still can't fathom why some of the Martian rocks seem to have geometric edges.
So what special in geometric shapes?
If they're somehow special you might want to wonder who made Devils Tower
Nature might have more suprises in its pocket than you thought...

And when there's enough rocks some might well be like cubes:

Also some rocks might have little weird looking surface...

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 02:59 AM
link   
The top picture if its a large area looks like a fast wash of water forming the tall jagged rocks.

the second photo looks to be like a marble mika like rock the "chips" away and looks to be of the same larger piece that was broken up by water a very long time ago.

the third is the most common "slabs" of rock that break up from a larger piece.

[edit on 8-10-2004 by et is dead]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 03:26 AM
link   
While I do agree with the referrence to Devils Tower (but then, how do we "know" how it was formed, just as the famous arches in the desert canyons?), I also see how certain 'rocks' in these photos can be interpreted as slabs/chunks of being-made structures. If ya get the large photos, one can even pic out how these slabs referred to in the original post are in certain places, and not everywhere (as if an impact result). Having been in construction for almost 20yrs I do see how a couple of groupings of these slabs (again, in groups, not scattered everywhere) can be interpreted as remnants of foundations.

Now, for some fun - of picture #520, the Endurance Crator - can anyone identify the object in the extreme right-bottom corner?

Small:

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

Medium:

Large (not for dial-up)

Yes, I already know, heh

Misfit

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 04:29 AM
link   
All rocks aside, I'd be more interested in having this explained:

Is that a rock? Looks like a hole to me. Looks like water (or something liquid) has been running out of it too. If its a hole it cant possibly have stayed that way for any long period of time, and have to be new... Could still be a rock of course, I havent spent much time analysing it. The perspective might just make it impossible to be anything other than a rock, or the water would defy gravity, heh. Just think it looks weird, none of the other rocks look like this.

Its in the center left bottom of the above pics (I used the largest).

Sidenote: There are more "hole" anomalies, this is just a very obvious one.

[edit on 8-10-2004 by merka]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 06:00 AM
link   
there you go! def not man made but looks like it could be-truth stranger than fiction?

damn,pic didnt work-just google "the Giants causeway"

[edit on 8-10-2004 by optimus fett]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
What I find odd is this.
How does one oppose the fact that this are right angles?
How are right angles in soil created naturally, and stay.

Picture is of the largest Endurance photo, but my area of question only.
Size is 2653 x 557 @ 1.2mb.

Endurance Right Angle

Misfit

[Edit = Link fix]

[edit on 8-10-2004 by Misfit]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misfit
Now, for some fun - of picture #520, the Endurance Crator - can anyone identify the object in the extreme right-bottom corner?

Looks like some sort of device that converts sunlight into electrical power, appears to be in the style as manufactured by Humans around 2003AD. But here they are clearly on Mars. This is surely some sort of conspiracy!

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kano

Originally posted by Misfit

Looks like some sort of device that converts sunlight into electrical power, appears to be in the style as manufactured by Humans around 2003AD. But here they are clearly on Mars. This is surely some sort of conspiracy!

[NASA response]

It is a rock created naturally, which has a vague resemblance to an artificial object such as a solar panel. We will not investigate further as we have already explained what it is and what you see.

[/NASA response]

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
It's a conspiracy alright!

Cheers all for your thoughts and wisdom. I still reckon they're unusual, especially the B&W pic.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Where did it land? This is another photo from around the same time at endurance crater. It looks like a landing spot too me.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irma
It's a conspiracy alright!

Cheers all for your thoughts and wisdom. I still reckon they're unusual, especially the B&W pic.

The b&w photo is basalt.
As to the others?????

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
the solar panel in the photo is just the panoramic camera catching the solar panels on the rover which lie beneath the camera.

Mystery explained.

www.mars-pictures.net...

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by pluck
the solar panel in the photo is just the panoramic camera catching the solar panels on the rover which lie beneath the camera.

Mystery explained.

www.mars-pictures.net...

Hah, nice.

I'd like to echo the preceding post that everyone in the world needs to check out Giant's Causeway in Ireland before making any claims such as "GAHH! GEOMETRICAL PATTERNS DON'T EXIST IN NATURE!@#"

Zip

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by pluck

Mystery explained.

www.mars-pictures.net...

And pluck wins the $10gazillion prize!! heh.

If you blow the picture up very large, you can see the circuitry itself.

I am still puzzled by the right-angled objects I posted about in this thread.

Misfit

posted on Oct, 12 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   

This occured naturally and should put to rest any doubt that you might have that those shapes were formed naturally.

Zip

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 03:57 AM
link   
The rocks in the second photo look like 'erratics' which are scraped up, moved and then deposited by glaciers.

This is no surprise as there now seems to be little doubt in the scientific community that Mars once had vast quantities of water (and probably still does have lots of water locked up in permafrost).

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join