It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explain these Mars photos for me

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov... ry/press/opportunity/20040524a/site_B115_navcam_180_cyl_L-B118R1_br2.jpg

As you scroll down on this photo, a piece of 'rock?' comes into view that looks like and old weathered timber--about 'fence post' size--with squared off ends....looks a bit out of place, not like the rest of the surface in that area. ?

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
In that pic, above and off in the distance, what is that shiney object? Do these rovers have a craft they land in, and then sprout? I thought they, in a way, parachuted down, then sprouted.

Misfit

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
that's the heat shield.

posted on Oct, 15 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
ive been looking at all the pics in this thread so far, and none really show me enough evidence for intelligent design, but that last pic...it really does look like a piece of wood, like they use on railroads. i doubt a piece of lumber was part of the craft!

Something i was just thinking...if there is some kind of "cover-up", wouldnt the people involved edit the pics or just not release them?Or maybe they know that most people would accept the least bizarre conclusion, so not to be different.

[edit on 15-10-2004 by kutusha]

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by kutusha

Something i was just thinking...if there is some kind of "cover-up", wouldnt the people involved edit the pics or just not release them?Or maybe they know that most people would accept the least bizarre conclusion, so not to be different.

Maybe some slip through, considering its thousands of images.

Personally I think they let them be so they can have something to explore the next mission. I mean look at that pic with the "log"... Even a 10 year old will instantly think "hey, we got a rover with a camera up there, why not drive up to it and check out what it is?!". NASA does *NOT* think like this, apparently. Same goes with anomalies displayed on orbiting pics, such as the "balls" in craters... Take 10 high res images from different angles and it could be solved. But nooo... We will have to settle for a cryptical 1x1 cm part in a huge image, not being investigated further.

Keep the people interested, dont ruin the magic

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Yeah i agree, if the people werent interested, nasa wouldnt get paid

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Maybe it's a piece of driftwood. That would explain how it got there.

In all seriousness though. Looks like another NASA blooper slipped through.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
It is most possible that the strong space winds on mars, combined with the lashing sand storms could be the cause of the smooth polished looking surfaces and sharp edges. In no way am I an unbeliever that there is life, or has been life on mars, but I'm not sure that it would be a type of life that would be capable of sculpting rocks to fit its architectual needs.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
i cuncur with that statement

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   
am i the only one who thinks that the ground in this picture looks COMPLETELY artificial, it almost looks like tiles.. and im not saying that this is a big conspiracy im just saying it looks really really fake.

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...
(the black and wihte panoramic pic with the shiny object)

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   
@ lawdka0z

Nope, is simialr and of same questioning as mine ...................

Originally posted by Misfit
What I find odd is this.
How does one oppose the fact that this are right angles?
How are right angles in soil created naturally, and stay.

Picture is of the largest Endurance photo, but my area of question only.
Size is 2653 x 557 @ 1.2mb.

Endurance Right Angle

Misfit

Misfit

posted on Oct, 23 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
In the huge 1.2 MB photo I scrolled over wondering how that could have been made, but then I saw this wierd object that looked like a building in the far right lower corner. It probably is a building, and the orange-red flat area is just a huge tarp covering what is really there.

The hole, in that other picture that was discussed, probably had something to do with storage.

I have no doubt that there is something going down on Mars and the two rovers were only there to bring something to each of the two base camps without being intercepted by "someone". They were just disguises, in my mind.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by lawdka0z
am i the only one who thinks that the ground in this picture looks COMPLETELY artificial, it almost looks like tiles.. and im not saying that this is a big conspiracy im just saying it looks really really fake.

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...
(the black and wihte panoramic pic with the shiny object)

I think if they wanted to fake it, they could have done it alot better. And I wonder, "really really fake" compared to what? Hollywood scifi movies?

Cause that is the *only* other impression we got of any other planet.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by merka
I think if they wanted to fake it, they could have done it alot better. And I wonder, "really really fake" compared to what? Hollywood scifi movies?

Cause that is the *only* other impression we got of any other planet.

That's a very good point !!!

For all we know, Mars IS in fact populated with humans other creatures or just full of ancient artifacts of such, but all we get is pictures of a Mars moon! heh

Nevertheless, there are some strange sights in the pictures we do get.

Misfit

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zipdot

This occured naturally and should put to rest any doubt that you might have that those shapes were formed naturally.

Zip

thats awesome! i want to learn more about that unusual natural formation, do u have a link i can check out?

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Here's a link for the Giants Causeway.

www.northantrim.com...

E_T

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
And some rocks tend to break up angularly.

(link's picture is 0.5MB)

E_T

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Irma
Here's a link for the Giants Causeway.
www.northantrim.com...
Devil's Tower in US is other structure:

volcano.und.nodak.edu...

About that Mars image: Dust stroms fill holes between rocks, that same dust can also erode surfaces which sticks out.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Zipdot, doesn't your geological pic remind you ( or anyone else) of an old Q-bert game board?

And that's not Devil's Tower. That's a very well constructed and dyed mound of potatoes, mashed even. If you were to look just outside the frame of the pic, you would see a very large appearing Richard Dreyfuss in sunburned red sweating profusely.

In all seriousness. While I do believe intelligent life once existed (and probably still does underground) on Mars, most of the pics I have seen are not convincing, and seem natural to me.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Contrary to popular opinion, straight lines are are found in nature, especially in extrusive igneous rocks like basalt and gabbro. The reason for this is that the crystalline structure of rocks, like the crystalline structure of everything, has weak points (shear sections) which result in a plane surface when the rock fractures.

If the crystalline structure is a dodecahedron (and lots of crystals seem to have that structure) you will get very regular twelve-sided solids, and so on. Basalt, probably because it's pretty mafic, fractures along lines to form structures that are hexagonal in cross-section. This is why people used to believe that the Giant's Causeway (which is basalt) was created as a, well, causeway by, well, giants.

It wasn't.

It's also the reason that these same basalt columnar forms found underwater in the Caribbean, were thought by some "researchers" (who had never taken geology in school) as being the results of some man-made civilization. As a matter of fact, if there were one piece of "evidence" that perpetuates the myth of "Atlantis" or "Mu", it's incorrectly assuming that naturally-occuring straight edges are man-made.

When people mistakenly say that there are "no straight lines in nature" they're talking from a limited perspective caused by looking at rock forms on the surface, where they've been weathered and thus have their sharp edges worn off. You'd think that these folks would look at examples of conglomerate and breccia and extrapolate from them, but most people wouldn't know the difference between conglomerate and breccia anyway.

Three or four years ago, my wife and I took a couple geology courses at a local Junior College, just for fun; they were some of the best courses we'd ever taken. I'd recommend them for anyone interested in the way the physical world works.

You don't need an entrance exam to take these courses at most JuCos; usually, if you're over 21, you don't even need a high-school diploma. You may have to sign on as a "special student" and take the course for audit rather than for a grade, but who cares? -- it's the knowledge that counts! Typically, these courses are a couple hundred bucks max, and include lab time and a couple of field trips.

<< 1    3 >>

join