It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Affirmative Action In Sports

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Asian, Latino, and European Americans are severely under represented in high school, college, and professional sports.

I believe we need to create laws and policies for a more even playing field in Athletics.

Football (NFL) Racial Breakdown:

Black: 66%
White: 31%
Asian: 2%
Hispanic: 1%

Basketball (NBA) Racial Breakdown:

Black: 76%
White: 20%
Hispanic: 3%
Asian: 1%

Ban dunking, force all players who are 7 feet or taller to play with a blindfold, end all legacies ( You cannot play in the NBA if you have a father or uncle who played in the league, even for a short while), move the 3 point line out 5 feet deeper, make the rim 6 inches higher and the biggest change= All NBA players must graduate from college and play 4 years. That last part would make the NBA majority white and asian, but the other parts I listed would be akin to the affirmative action regulations forced onto the population by academia for the past 3 decades.

What do you think?

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Negative.

We pay top dollar and make sports the biggest gig going because we want to see the very best at what they do.

Great brain candy though

It really makes one think of all the pros and cons of the AA idea overall.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I don't know if your are being serious because your a crazy liberal, or just a conservative poking fun at the idea of affirmative action using sports because it is the holy of holies.

Affirmative action is unethical in every sense. Such a thing should not exist in a free society.

The fact that you chose sports to (possibly) illustrate this is interesting because sports is held in such high regard, over other more important and noble endeavors; it is a prime example of humanities lack of progression. Both things keep humanity just above the level of animal.
edit on 9-7-2012 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I've also noted that in the sport of gymnastics, teenagers are way overrepresented.
This is clearly age discriminatory.

Laws should be put in place to force gymnastic teams to employ a representative proportion of the older members of society, such as 15 percent senior citizens.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

I had a good laugh at the premise, OP.

I think pretty much everyone here is in agreement that Affirmative Action is immoral on all fronts and needs to go.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

I had a good laugh at the premise, OP.

I think pretty much everyone here is in agreement that Affirmative Action is immoral on all fronts and needs to go.

Exactly!
Im hoping OP was being fascetious so that we could apply the theory to what it actually does and realize it's counter productive in practice. Especially when dealing with certain jobs that require life saving skills like fireman or pilot etc....

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

What do you think?

I think all sports should be opened up to the animal kingdom. Jaguars would rule the 100 meter dash in London.

Dolphins would make Michael Phelps look like a turtle.
edit on 9-7-2012 by Zarniwoop because: woops

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
this is clearly a troll.

ban dunking and make people over 7ft wear a blindfold?

^^ is proof enough not to take this guy serious. there are people under 5ft 10in that can dunk like its nothing

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd
Im hoping OP was being fascetious so that we could apply the theory to what it actually does and realize it's counter productive in practice.

I'm starting to like the ATS crowd more and more.
edit on 9-7-2012 by FuZe7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-7-2012 by FuZe7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by FuZe7

It was really funny

Blindfold the tall guys! hahahahaha

new topics

top topics

join